Mikes 1962 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do the top and doors fit correctly? You have the cool early doors with a later model hardtop from the looks of it. Wouldn't a corrugated top be period-correct for a '62?

Do the top and doors fit correctly? You have the cool early doors with a later model hardtop from the looks of it. Wouldn't a corrugated top be period-correct for a '62?

Yes they fit correctly and Yes, a corrigated top would be period correct...let me explain....When I bought this, it had the existing hardtop and widshield frame. The windshield frame on it now is also incorrect. I had these doors modified to fit but I am not very pleased with the final detail work and have decided to put it back to a soft top like original. So...the hardtop, modified doors and windshield frame shown in thse pics are available for purchase if someone ends up interested.

Last edited:
Sweeet work man.

I did a frame many moons ago in powder coat and never did another one after that. Point bing its almost impossible to blend paint into it and make it look right after a repair.

I also machined down 10mm bolt heads to replicate the factory rivots.

Hi Majojo4, I really like what you have done with the bolts (rivets), If you don’t mind me asking how are you going to tighten them? The reason I’m asking is that I have the same dilemma and as what you have done I would like to have mine look stock. :clap:

Looking great Mike...any new progress?

:cheers:

Yea! Frame is done, and it is back at the powdercoaters. Hopeing to have it back by the end of this next week. I have focused my attention to the tub and rear sil. Have removed all of the electrical and most of the hardware. It will be going to the Powdercoater for sandblasting only. The rear end has just recieved a rebuild of new bearings seals and Limited Slip Diff., after the housing was powdercoated. Of course new brake cylinders and pads too. The new suspension has been sitting on the shelf for a while now. Next project will be cleaning up the front axile. It is one of the few things I wont be pulling apart. Just clean up, paint and new hardware. New Tie rod ends still need to be installed. Well...I should have a rolling chas in about a month. Thats my guess.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, your chassis’s finish looks real smooth, on the one I’ve got I have small rust divots in some places, did you fill your chassis (and can you) with lead, body putty (bondo), Pratley steel or anything before coating it?

Hi Mike, your chassis’s finish looks real smooth, on the one I’ve got I have small rust divots in some places, did you fill your chassis (and can you) with lead, body putty (bondo), Pratley steel or anything before coating it?

No, I didnt use any filler at all on mine. Yes there is a material that is called "Lab Metal" that i have been told about that could go through the powdercoating process. My powdercoater is the one that told me about it. There might be other products out there that could handle the 500-600 degree heat.

Any updates? I am up here in Lebanon, tearing up a 40! G:beer:ood luck and I hope your project turns out great!! Mark:beer:

Yea... I have a lot of updates to make. Just havent had the time to take pics and such. I will work hard this week to get things up to date. Project is going great. Thanks for asking.

updates

Photos of the info plate laser etched recreation and the body before blasting. We used aircraft stripper to remove 95% of the paint. That stuff is super rad!
Vin Plates.jpg
fj pre sand 1.jpg
fj pre sand 4.jpg

more updates

Here is the Widshield frame I finally found that is correct for my model and year! Also the complete soft doors (another great find!). And the short running boards. I found all three of these from a local pal here in oregon. He also had for me the angled early tool box cover, the dual sided turn lamps and the cool sticker off of the 135 Hp valve cover with the "measurements of engine adjustment"(of the which im in the process of recreating)
fj sandblasted windsheild frame.jpg
fj sandblasted soft door frames.jpg
fj sandblasted running boards.jpg

more updates

also my original fenders...I bought some of those aftermarket ones and decided pretty quick they werent going to work out.
fj sandblasted under seat tool box cover.jpg
SCAN0009.jpg
fj sandblasted fenders.jpg

here are the first sample channel recreate for the soft top channel for door surrounds. Final run wont be Galvanized.
Soft top part.jpg
soft top part 2.jpg

There is so much more that hasn't been posted. I will try to gather the photos together to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom