Messed up- real time help need-Distributor o-ring replaced. Now won't start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I read the sticker under the hood and the Full Service Manual. With proper timing (set-up) procedure the vehicle is at 3 degrees. I'm not worried about that anymore.

Separately from that, there is the step "9" in my 1994 Full Service Manual labeled "Further Check Ignition Timing" in the ignition section of adjusting timing. After the initial timing adjust, you can further adjust timing as long as you're between 2-13' BTDC @idle transmission in neutral and A/C off. It's very vague in its wording. The way I read it is you can pull the jumper and further adjust timing as long as you stay within the range. Like I said, its very vague. Thanks for your help Doug.

IIRC, that larger range is for a secondary check when the pins are not jump. With the pins jumped, it should be steady and you should line it up with it balls on 3 degrees BTDC. Some advance it more than that, but I haven't had success with doing that.. to much pinging.

Without the pins jumped the timing will bounce around erratically but should be within this larger range. Re-read it and see if that makes since.

:beer:
Rookie2

Without the pins jumped the timing will bounce around erratically but should be within this larger range. Re-read it and see if that makes since.

:beer:
Rookie2

Ran like a champ this morning. I'll have to do the secondary check later this evening to see if it falls within the range. Will re-read step #9 and see if it jives.
:)

My guess is you failed to note the postion of the rotor when you pulled the distributor.

Rotate the crankshaft until the timing mark is on "0" on the timing cover.

At this point #1 will either be on the top of the compression stroke or on the top of the exhaust stroke.

Insert the distributor so that the rotor ends up pointing at the #1 plug wire post.

If the engine fires (you have a 50% chance of that), time it and button things up. If not (YOU ARE 180 DEGREES OFF) , rotate the crank to get the mark lined up again and pull the distributor and reinstall it to line up with the #1 plug wire post.
Quick question: “Rotate the crankshaft until the timing mark is on "0" on the timing cover”. How can you tell where is 0 on the timing cover? All I see is 15, 10, and 30?

Quick question: “Rotate the crankshaft until the timing mark is on "0" on the timing cover”. How can you tell where is 0 on the timing cover? All I see is 15, 10, and 30?

You are reading the markings wrong. It is 15, 10, 3 and 0

He started a new thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom