Meet Junior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Aug 19, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
14
Location
Lonesome Valley, AZ
Hi Cruiser Heads.
I'm new to this forum and as suggested, I'm creating an introduction thread. I have two Land Cruisers, a 1975 FJ40 and a 1994 FJ80. I'm looking forward to connecting with other Cruiser fans and learning more about these special vehicles.

IMG_3414x.webp

This is Junior at Sycamore Point in Arizona.
 
Welcome.....How may miles does ur fzj80 have?
 
Welcome! I would add your vehicle info to your signature line that way when you post you won't get the basic info questions. Also, we like pictures, the more the better.

Also, good resource to have is the FSM and EWD : https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/categories/80-series.20/ you can download them for free.

Lastly, I would also introduce yoruself to the local clubhouse.
 
Welcome.....How may miles does ur fzj80 have?
Hi efjayatee,
As far as I can tell, my Cruiser is an FJ80 and it has 303,000 miles. Runs great! But I do believe a tune up and new plugs are in order.
 
Great looking 80 series. Btw all 1994 us spec Land Cruisers were FZJ80’s.
1991 and 1992 were the only years of the FJ80 in the USA with the 3FE engine.
 
Welcome! I would add your vehicle info to your signature line that way when you post you won't get the basic info questions. Also, we like pictures, the more the better.

Also, good resource to have is the FSM and EWD : https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/categories/80-series.20/ you can download them for free.

Lastly, I would also introduce yoruself to the local clubhouse.
Hello Brindeboxer,

Thanks for the tips, especially the resource guide. I've just downloaded the Service Manual for my 80 series, which will be helpful moving forward. I've also introduced myself to the Copper State Cruisers, the local forum in Arizona. Next are the FJ40 groups so I can get Geezer back on the road.
 
Great looking 80 series. Btw all 1994 us spec Land Cruisers were FZJ80’s.
1991 and 1992 were the only years of the FJ80 in the USA with the 3FE engine.
I was not aware that they are all considered FZJ. I'm learning new stuff already.
 
This is for you: "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means" or "see mostly dead is still slightly alive" - always a classic.
 
Hi Gang,

So, I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but it's a start. I'm considering changing out the stock running boards on my 1994 FZJ80 for rock sliders, and I see the prices can be quite extreme. Can any of you suggest sliders that would be affordable and effective? I don't do a lot of 'challenging' trails but I do want some protection since I managed to crunch one of my running boards a while ago.

Thanks!
 
Unfortunately, most that will hold up to any "hit" are going to be near $1k once they are shipped to you. Maybe look and see if there is a manufacture that is close enough to make a trip to pick up and save shipping.

The alternative is to get a quote from a local welder and see what the would charge. OR check the classified and hope there is someone selling a used set.
 
Hi Gang. I have a little update on Junior:

I ordered the White Knuckle rock sliders last month and while I am impatiently waiting for them to ship, I'm looking to fix a few other minor issues. Can any of you tell me where I can get replacement panels for the burled wood trim that came with my rig originally? As you can see, it has seen better days and my wife was complaining about them recently.


IMG_20261001_132504941_HDR.webp


IMG_20261001_132512271_HDR.webp


IMG_20261001_132521785_HDR.webp


I would also like to know if the rear window defrost connectors can be re-installed, or do I have to get new glass? They have both disconnected themselves thanks to my daughter and her friends taking Junior for a joy ride years ago when I was out of town. :rolleyes:

IMG_20261001_132705955.webp
 
Can any of you tell me where I can get replacement panels for the burled wood trim that came with my rig originally? As you can see, it has seen better days and my wife was complaining about them recently.


View attachment 4222762

View attachment 4222763

View attachment 4222764

IMHO I’d just have some powerful good old fashion fun and remove that nasty wood trim it’s really not too hard just let it bake in the sun and get some plastic scrapers Snap-on makes a really nice set that has different angles and shapes and they’re not too spendy. I think I used a plastic wheel weight scraper and some goo gone or similar and just time and patience, if one is giving you guff move on to the next one and use the goo gone as lube for the scrapers eventually they’ll all be gone and you’ll never miss them I was told it was a right of passage 🥳

IMG_3603.webp


IMG_3604.webp


IMG_3605.webp


IMG_3606.webp
 
Not sure if it was obvious enough but what @MissahPapaJ is eluding to is that underneath all of the stick on wood trim are the original toyota trims complete with the original decals. Just be careful when removing the old trim. On my '95 I removed it all but am considering installing some new trim. I have been looking at this company but don't have any knowledge about how good their product is.
 
@Irish Reiver think all the wood trim was dealer add on could be wrong about that, I’m just not a fan of the trim personally I feel it looks out of place and makes the vehicle something it’s not. @60HzHum has to remove it first even if he wants to install new ones so if he doesn’t like the look of the trim and vent etc after removal he can always try out the company you mentioned. If you take your time and use plastic scrapers and plastic razor blades / guitar pics and uses goo gone for lube when peeling up the old stuff it should turn out good all my stuff cleaned up nicely. But this is @60HzHum ’s BBQ and I’m not gonna tell him how to cook his steaks.
 
Not sure if it was obvious enough but what @MissahPapaJ is eluding to is that underneath all of the stick on wood trim are the original toyota trims complete with the original decals. Just be careful when removing the old trim. On my '95 I removed it all but am considering installing some new trim. I have been looking at this company but don't have any knowledge about how good their product is.
Hi Irish. Thank you for sharing the wood dash link. Their price of $161.00 for a complete kit sounds reasonable. I just don't know how to determine which finish to choose. I sent them an email with a photo hoping they might be able to help me decide. I'll let the group know what they say.
 
Before you purchase new trim I would remove the old trim first. If done with care you will be surprised how good it looks.

The trim kits that are selling for under $200 are going to be total crap, won't last long, questionable fitment and may not include all the pieces needed.
How you know this? First hand experience? I'm also in the market of replacing them in my 40th model

@60HzHum
That 20pc set looks like the whole kit and it's worth the $188. May not be OEM but China is king of making reproductions.


Screenshot_20261002-143923_Chrome~2.webp
 
Last edited:
How you know this? First hand experience? I'm also in the market of replacing them in my 40th model

@60HzHum
That 20pc set looks like the whole kit and it's worth the $188. May not be OEM but China is king of making reproductions.


View attachment 4223259
Interesting @efjayatee. The kit I was looking at for my 1994 has only 12 pieces and I can see that some pieces are not included. I think I'm going to put this project on the back burner for now and focus on other issues. I suppose I could start peeling off the old, ugly pieces in the mean time.

--My next concern is the rear window defroster connections (see photo) Can these be reconnected or do I have to buy new glass?

IMG_20261001_132705955.webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom