May ROTM 2014 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As in all things your mileage may vary ... you'd think boiling water to make coffee couldn't be that difficult, but it took two tries.

Once I got the coffee grounds out of the burner, and a cup of overly weak coffee poured, I next tried boiling a few eggs... I have never seen an egg explode when dropped into boiling water. Imagine what the resulting mess looked like on a camp stove. And yeah, harder to clean egg-drop soup off the burner than coffee grounds. The messes were likely pilot error, but still the Jet-Boil camp stove is great for boiling water for instant food, but for other types of trail cooking I'd rate it as lacking. But I haven't tried the popcorn recipe... so maybe it has two good uses !

The Kamp-Rite tent cot works as advertised, though I needed their 4" self-inflating mattress to satisfy my discs. The many entry/exit points on the cot are wonderful. An aside: a concern I have is the material pinches between the steel rails and I already have a small tear that needs mending.

When it saw Arizona sunlight last summer my 25 year old Igloo cooler exploded and the 5 day Coleman Extreme cooler that replaced it did well for the two days - one 4L bottle and several 0.5L bottles of frozen water are still well frozen 48 hours later. They would have been cold water in my Igloo. Most important, my beer was cold when I sat down and drank it.

The one add is I'll be bringing a 3x5 door mat for cot egress. Crawling out onto sharp dust laden rocks was tough.

All in all, things went fairly well.​

:beer: + :popcorn:

What else does one need when camping?​

Definitely a good time, good company, and scenic drive. The water was just the right temperature to cool the day time heat.

Leaving the river, 8x

From end of the graded road down to the river, 8x

ps: Saving as 8x seems to have broken the caption timing, so ignore them.

Last edited:
cool video, thanks GW ~

landscape of the area, headed down to the valley, playing in the water with Mr. and Mrs. Otters labs, Funner having fun in the river, and finally the evening campfire - good times!
Final thanks to Funner and GWCruiser for helping with the creative field fix for my broken throttle cable. Still working!
landscape.jpg
1.jpg

lc1.jpg
fire.jpg
more..
river1.jpg
lc2.jpg
dog.jpg

Looks like a fun trip. Good thing there was water to cool off the pups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom