Mattresses Built for Sleeping Out of Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tomorrow’s Adventure Depends on How Well You Sleep Tonight.

After more than 20 years in the RV and camping related industry I learned firsthand that the lack of creature comforts cancels out life as it used to be. Outdoors men who pass through my shop testify to two major causes for cessation of outdoor life. The most dominate complaint is that their ladies will no longer accept primitive camping. The second reason is that they just can’t sleep on the ground anymore. Until now, mattress options have been terrible.

I offer four distinct new mattresses made for sleeping out of doors:

Truck Bed Mattress is available for any size pickup and most SUV

Roof Top Tent Mattress with patterns for CVT, Tepui, ARB and more

Camping Mat for general use on the ground or in a tent

RV and Trailer Mattress

The closest competition to my mattress is in a hotel room.

My mattress, at just a tad under three inches thick, is firm and supports the body with 36 NanoCoils per square foot. Most people sleep on just the top 3 inches of a bed; everything below that is only a pedestal.

On a different thread somewhere, I was asked if a thicker mattress is available. Yes, we can build a different mattress, but first I would like to know why. I have slept on my mattress every night for the past 5 months, since I live out of my Base Camp located inside my shop. I weigh 170 pounds and stand 6 feet tall and am in above average physical condition, so I base my experience on that. People with orthopedic problems might very well need something else, and maybe we can accomplish that.

Got any pictures of the mattress in a fzj80. I'm in the market for a bed currently.

I took part of an ikea futon mattress that I didn't need any more and cut it at the fold, this is a little wider than most camping mattresses (29" vs 26") and is about 4" thick.

I don't use a tire swing out, so it sits in the rig, turned onto its side and runs along the back of the truck, while all of my tubs and other gear take up that space. When I get to camp, I pull the tubs (which contain bedding, bags, etc.), turn the mattress down and climb in the back. This works well and allows me to leave a 37" spare strapped to the third row seat brackets.

Works very well for a decent price. In the future, if I find a mattress that is comparable in dimensions and able to roll up, I will consider making a switch.

Got any pictures of the mattress in a fzj80. I'm in the market for a bed currently.
Apologies all around for the late responses folks. We are working toward a KickStarter campaign and that turned out to be one bunch of work to get it done successfully. Anyway, to answer your question, I don't have a photo of the mattress in a fz80 but Taco size should fit with one possible caveat. The floors in some SUV type vehicles are not exactly flat and as you can see in the 4 Runner we placed a wheel well insert that comes with the Taco beneath the back end of the mattress to compensate. A friend of mine has an FJ Cruiser and that one is also a problem. However, Crown Toyota in Ontario lets me use their show room FJ Cruiser for prototyping. I don't expect all SUV types to have this problem, Fords and GMs don't so far, but we need to address these puzzles as they present themselves.

By the way, Crown Toyota has a really nice 1977 FJ40 sitting next to the FJ Cruiser priced reasonably at $127,000. The sale price includes a roof rack and a shovel.
Toyota 4 Runner..jpg

I bought one from you like a month or so ago. Seems legit. Ha ent had a chance to use it in the truck yet. Hoping this next week or so when we go snow wheeling

Sent from my SM-G925V

Truck is at slee right now. Getting her back tonight. I'll take a pic of the fitting tomorrow for yall. I got that matress and I'm waiting on a topper for it from purple matress kickstarter that should arrive in January. I'm all about glamping; )

Sent from my SM-G925V

Any updates on these? Ready to buy an Exped, but this looks promising as I have started a collection of camp mats that no longer hold air.

Hi, mattress mudders. I've been a bit unavailable since the first week of January and coming back up to speed after relocating my business from Cucamonga to Hesperia, CA 40 miles away. We operated without computers or landlines and relied heavily on cell phones for much of that time. The workouts were great! It's been a lot of fun.

Anyway, Dave Zartman, publisher of 4WD Toyota Owners magazine, did a fine analysis of my mattresses in his current issue.

I will be showing at the Arizona Game and Fish Outdoor Expo April 1-3, 2016. This is an annual event sponsored by the AZ Game and Fish department featuring several gun and archery ranges, fire arm manufacturers, demonstration fishing ponds, Off Road vehicles and related stuff, RVs and camping gear. Last year's attendance was over 40,000.

The following weekend I will be at the Ventura County Off Road show. There are a couple informative videos at www.RVandOffRoad.com that will help answer questions, also.

Since mid-January I have resided full time in camp grounds of the High Desert of Southern California in either my Base Camp or, currently, my Tracker. The weather has run the gamut from very pleasant, warm and sunny to typical High Desert Winter with 50 mph wind, snow, rain and quarter inch thick ice on the pan in the morning. The Base Camp offers more room inside but my FJ40 likes pulling the lighter weight Tracker.

The NanoCoil action works to dissipate body heat throughout the mattress, which eliminates those hot, sweaty spots experienced with foam sponge type mattresses, particularly on warm nights. As you stretch and roll about on a NanoCoil system, body heat is dispersed over a wider area via access to air space. Memory foam sponge rubber, which is essentially a solid block, remembers where the body heat came from and traps it there along with your sweat. The NanoCoil springs are rated at 100,000 compressions.

I typically sleep 8 to 9 hours each night and every day at work or play, my 170 pound frame appreciates those hours invested on my mattress the night before. Tomorrow's adventure depends on how well you sleep tonight.

Mitch Schliebs

That looks an awful lot like those mats you put up against the wall in the gymnasium.

Just like with most of the babes at your gym, you have to venture beyond the makeup and tights to discover if any internal beauty or self worth exists, the real beauty of a quality mattress is found inside.

Mitch Schliebs

I did take a look at the REI ExPed mattress. It's a little spendy like most things at REI. The tripping point though was when I read about the air pump. If it has to be pumped up with air, it will leak out. I'm going to cash in my own REI rebate next week after the Ventura County Off Road show. I will have my mattresses there April 9-10, 2016.

Mitch Schliebs

I can't wrap my head around how a mattress that 1.75" thick would be at all comfortable, especially for a side sleeper. The truck bed model would be better, but it looks like it would take up most of my cargo space in the GX so that is a no go.

Well I'm not 170 lbs I'm pushing another 100 , have tried all kinds of mattresses ; air ( they always pop ), double eggcrate ( ok ) , patio lounge chair mattresses ( pretty good ) ... but the BEST is a single size top mattress from a real bed for my LX450. When I had my K20 Diesel suburban, I used a full size house beds top mattress... the house bed top mattresses work the best !

Then I just cover them with a tarp usually I have a tarp that is a 8 x 11' one , open it up length wise, lay it in the back of the cruiser, etc. let the rest sit on the ground.... slide the bed in , then lay the rest of the tarp over the mattress.... works awesome !!!

yes you can go buy a really expensive mattress, but you can also go to goodwill , cause they have mattresses that have been cleaned and certified clean for cheap like $50 for a single . remember it's just a camping mattress...and for the smaller rigs , use a childs sized mattress, even 2-4 baby crib mattresses, etc. will still work well... if you don't want to have to tarp and un tarp , take the tarp cut to size , sew the permanent mattress cover with 10 lb fishing line ... easy !

Just like the vendors claim the closest thing to his mattress is a hotel rooms ... well just buy a hotel rooms top mattress then ! ha

No offense to the vendor , just sharing my experience and what works ! His mattress is probably good if you need something you can pack away neatly allowing for other gear...my "Macguiver-ed" idea is not "pack away worthy" ... it's big, cumbersome ... but if getting a great nites sleep is a priority ... top house bed mattresses are the way to fly !!!

so for adding more gear ... either have your builtin storage deal ( those are really cool ) , or like me , just put the rest of your stuff on top of the tarped mattress I put my camp table down first cause its a steadier platform for other gear ...then just put the rest on top ! wha-la

Here's the full size one in back of the burban...and yes thats screen material I'd roll down for the back window for bug free ventilation ...

burban%20bed%201_zpscerfxue4.jpg

And I know this will look janky to ya ... but the 36" swamper spare worked as a headrest for my pillows... Ha

burban%20bed%202_zpsmxcxrjg0.jpg

Burb%20desolation_zpssztuuibw.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom