Master Cylinder Rebuild - DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you've new OEM booster assembly (motor, wire, pump, accumulator) and you can hear the booster motor run. Than you've air in system or a leak.
Yep, I’ve tried bleeding the system but only manually, I cannot get tech stream to do it with out an error all the time. I am hoping that air is the problem 2001LC.

Yep, I’ve tried bleeding the system but only manually, I cannot get tech stream to do it with out an error all the time. I am hoping that air is the problem 2001LC.
I experienced an error as well. I kept trying and sometimes it worked, sometimes it gave me an error. Not sure what the cause of that was.

If you've new OEM booster assembly (motor, wire, pump, accumulator) and you can hear the booster motor run. Than you've air in system or a leak.
When you said "if you can hear the booster motor run", you mean if you can hear the booster motor run from the cab right? If open the hood and listen carefully I still can hear a very little humming, I think, after all, there still a running pump and motor, there has to be some sound.

But it definitely hard to tell after a new booster installed, when I replace mine done, I let the hood open and sit in the cab, turn on the key, I can not hear the sound I familiar with, I even think "what the hack? it is not working? :rofl: "

Hi all - eventually cured my brake issues by buying new OEM booster motor/pump/accumulator from Toyota ($815). I had acquired and planned to install a remanufactured motor (brushes, commutator, bearings) and new OEM accumulator with o-ring, spring, and pipe, however the system failed about 700 miles from home before I got around to it, so I had to go to Plan B.

Is anyone interested in purchasing these parts? I can give you the details / photos / video of the motor running... would like to get $500 out of it.

*** Added P/N: 47070-30060
I know this fits 03-05 GX470, will fit some 4Runners as well, not sure which.

IMG_4653.JPEG

IMG_4657.JPEG

Last edited:
Forgot to put the P/N:

47070-30060

I know this fits 03-05 GX470, will fit some 4Runners as well, not sure which.

My pump motor died Sunday morning. I pulled it apart with hopes that I could rebuild the motor myself. I was able to get it off, but fitting a new one would be really difficult without breaking a wire. It looks like you have to rewind the motor to get the new commutator on the shaft because the wires are wrapped tight on the tabs that you must bend to get it loose.

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

Order List.png

My pump motor died Sunday morning. I pulled it apart with hopes that I could rebuild the motor myself. I was able to get it off, but fitting a new one would be really difficult without breaking a wire. It looks like you have to rewind the motor to get the new commutator on the shaft because the wires are wrapped tight on the tabs that you must bend to get it loose.

View attachment 2729868

View attachment 2729869

View attachment 2729870

View attachment 2729871
Could the wires possibly be soldered to the new commutator rather than crimping. That may be more practical and easier on the wires.....if doable.

Hey guys, thanks for the fantastic instructions etc. I just did this on my 2003 HDJ100 here in Australia and did a little bit of a write up to complement what you’ve got here.

There details are on lcool here.

Cheers!

Where are you getting a new commutator from?

I bought the whole assembly from McGeorge Toyota Parts. I have a 2000. You need a special machine to rewind the motor. It was a dead end for me....

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
47070-60010​
Power Brake Booster​
$778.12​
1​
$778.12​
04493-60330​
Brake Master Cylinder Repair Kit​
$68.57​
1​
$68.57​
31417-35010​
Master Cylinder Grommet​
$2.52​
1​
$2.52​
47255-16010​
Master Cylinder Reservoir Grommet​
$8.92​
2​
$17.84​

Just purchased the City Racer booster pump and MC rebuild kit. Haven't had any lights or failures, but with 275k miles and accumulator test is taking ~45 sec even after bleeding; I'd rather be safe than sorry. Biggest question mark for me is the ABS bleed process. I have techstream but it seems many people aren't able to do the ABS bleed without getting errors.

Just purchased the City Racer booster pump and MC rebuild kit. Haven't had any lights or failures, but with 275k miles and accumulator test is taking ~45 sec even after bleeding; I'd rather be safe than sorry. Biggest question mark for me is the ABS bleed process. I have techstream but it seems many people aren't able to do the ABS bleed without getting errors.
I wasn't happy with my ABSD bleed on my 98 after replacing the ABS motor/accumulator. Local Lexus dealer was able to flush for just $129, so that's the route I took.

I wasn't happy with my ABSD bleed on my 98 after replacing the ABS motor/accumulator. Local Lexus dealer was able to flush for just $129, so that's the route I took.
I consider to have these parts stored in the truck tool box or rear tail gate area and use it if I have a breakdown far from home...

I consider to have these parts stored in the truck tool box or rear tail gate area and use it if I have a breakdown far from home...
Do you mean carry the brake booster as spare with you? That seems wholly unnecessary man. If you have nearly 200K miles on your truck, I would consider replacing the brake booster as a precaution and then never worry abt it for another $200k miles.

Do you mean carry the brake booster as spare with you? That seems wholly unnecessary man. If you have nearly 200K miles on your truck, I would consider replacing the brake booster as a precaution and then never worry abt it for another $200k miles.
I am at 240k miles. Truck is in west TX all its life... break is perfect so I felt like why open a can of worms when there is no issue with the system. I plan on getting oem motor and accumulator and piston/seals. What problems did you have during the bleeding process?

I am at 240k miles. Truck is in west TX all its life... break is perfect so I felt like why open a can of worms when there is no issue with the system. I plan on getting oem motor and accumulator and piston/seals. What problems did you have during the bleeding process?
Mine was working great at 238K miles but when it fails, it goes with almost zero fore-warning. So I bit the bullet and replaced it. Not quite sure what you mean by can of worms since the replacement is quite straightforward and too less than 2 hours all said and done.
I did not have any issues during bleeding (once I realized that the ignition needs to be ON for there to be any pressure in the system!). I was just not able to find options in the TechStream to activate individual ABS channels to flush the air out. That was the part that I paid the dealer to do.

Mine was working great at 238K miles but when it fails, it goes with almost zero fore-warning. So I bit the bullet and replaced it. Not quite sure what you mean by can of worms since the replacement is quite straightforward and too less than 2 hours all said and done.
I did not have any issues during bleeding (once I realized that the ignition needs to be ON for there to be any pressure in the system!). I was just not able to find options in the TechStream to activate individual ABS channels to flush the air out. That was the part that I paid the dealer to do.
Thats good to hear. So you got oem motor, accumulator and seals/piston and took 2 hours for all that? I am getting ready to do the front control arms so will attempt the brakes later.

Did you bled the pump at 4 lines as well as the red line connecting the body of the master culinder to accumulator? Or just 4 lines going to 4 wheels?

Finally, activate abs by breaking hard on a soft ground and bleed at wheels?

Thats good to hear. So you got oem motor, accumulator and seals/piston and took 2 hours for all that? I am getting ready to do the front control arms so will attempt the brakes later.

Did you bled the pump at 4 lines as well as the red line connecting the body of the master culinder to accumulator? Or just 4 lines going to 4 wheels?

Finally, activate abs by breaking hard on a soft ground and bleed at wheels?
Yes the whole assembly comes out without much fuss (held on by 4 bolts!) and then you can play with it on the bench. Once I replaced the booster motor and accumulator bottle, re attached to the ABS module and replaced the master cylinder piston. I semi-bled it on the bench (sitting in a container). And then just bled all 4 corners.
That got the brake pedal nice and firm.
From there on, I suppose I could try and activate the ABS but skidding on wet/soft surface and keep bleeding, but $129 fee felt like an affordable way to get it right.

I'm road tripping to the US GP next week so I will probably wait to rip out booster, I'll bring the new booster pump as a spare just in case of disaster. When I get back I'll do a proper R&R.

Thanks for the insight @ClassyJalopy, hopefully the process goes that smoothly for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom