mapping software - OS - hardware - whats a good combo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been reading and trying digest the pros and cons of various mapping software (MotionX / Back country Navigator / others) and which OS's support (Andriod / Ipad / Windows) is the right balance

Hot ticket items for software / apps - Programs with detailed clarity on majority of the zoom levels / offline capabilities / cached tiles / storage - large land areas (maybe not so important but worth thoughts on) and ease of use....maybe something else I'm not thinking about

If Ipad: seems as though prep is key due to lack of storage and no external data storage - hard drives / sd cards
Is a windows based unit better - compression of files / compatibility / external drives
Is android the answer? - not much experience

If you have a great set up and you have personal experience to share then post up.

I know some of you guys are on Expedition portal and I have gone through lengthy threads on this subject - I would like some input from this forum.
thank you

I finally bit the bullet at Expo and just got the Delorme InReach and linked it to my iPad. Expensive, but solved most issues.

That said the new Hema North American iPhone app looks good and somewhere around here I've got the source list from the GPS/Navigation class I took at Expo. The key seems to be whether you have cell service, unlikely, and whether you just want to be able to follow an existing forest road or other defined route...or do a lot of route creation and tracking.

You can't go wrong with a dedicated GPS. Garmin Montana 650, associated 24k Topo software and the Birds Eye satellite imagery overlay are what I use. I am constantly amazed at how accurate it is.

A bigger screen would be nice but in my opinion the maps and the ability to customize your planned route just aren't as good on an iPad vs a dedicated GPS.......yet.

Last edited:
Here's a picture. The windshield mount has a speaker in it allowing for turn by turn directions.....even off-road and alerts. The sound can be turned off if desired.

image.jpeg

@9780LC - After looking at all options I'm taking your suggestion and going with Garmin. The Montana series seems to address what I think I'll want and use. Plus there's sales specials on them this weekend. Thank you for helping me see the light.....its easy to be distracted by so many options. I do like the looks of HEMA North America and I'm sure it'll be great once they get more states mapped out. The Garmin is proven, compact, portable, versatile and easy.
thank you for the replys

I use a Garmin Zumo 590 in a sports car that requires ear plugs to survive. The zumo line is waterproof (no top), glove friendly, easy to read in direct sun, and has the twisty option for motos. For my purposes it easily bests other Garmin products and I probably have a dozen. Tracks are fine off road. Not sure about topo. Very nicely engineered. Not getting cellular info for map updates cuts both ways. I sacrifice some currency for rock solid dependability. In a pinch you can use the phone if you can get a signal. Good luck with that.

You're welcome. Make sure to get the 24k topo software. When you draw a route in BaseCamp using 24k mapping software the drawn route "snaps" to the road or trail you are wanting to travel. This gives you the exact distance you'll be traveling. The route will actually follow the contours of the road or trail. The 100k version will not allow for this.

Great tips. Thank you

I finally bit the bullet at Expo and just got the Delorme InReach and linked it to my iPad. Expensive, but solved most issues.

That said the new Hema North American iPhone app looks good and somewhere around here I've got the source list from the GPS/Navigation class I took at Expo. The key seems to be whether you have cell service, unlikely, and whether you just want to be able to follow an existing forest road or other defined route...or do a lot of route creation and tracking.
Any reason for going the route you did vs a garmin? Looks like a solid system.
Thanks

Garmin purchased Delorme this year. I expect to see Delorme's SOS technology placed into new Garmin units. I also expect the Delorme hand held to eventually go the way of the dinosaur. The Inreach's capability to pair with the iPad via Bluetooth is great feature too. I hope Garmin incorporates that into a new hand held line as well. The question is.....How long is Garmin going to support Inreach and are they going to continue the line as it is....continue updating Delorme software or not? It's expensive maintaining two different types of software I'd imagine.

Last edited:
Well - I've had analysis paralysis and have yet to purchase the Garmin. Actually second guessing that move for a number of reasons.
So I'm back on the Ipad band wagon now. My question is to those who use an ipad for your nav / entertainment / gps screen - do you run a wifi only and use your phone as a hot spot or do you run a cellular + wifi version ipad?

I'm leaning towards running wifi only and using my iPhone as a hot spot when needed. I just can't think of any reason to add a device to my cellular plan....am I missing something? Is a cell signal to an ipad as strong as one to your cell phone or is one better?

by the way - Apple dropped the ball on GPS unless my research is incorrect. When Steve Jobs died so did the innovation of apple.

For the GPS I just ordered a dual electronics Bluetooth GPS receiver - Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories - going to pick up an ipad this weekend - I think.

Disclaimer - Garmin is a nice tool. Most of the time the Garmin would stay in a case unused and with an ipad it'll see action most days - one way or another. I could find out this was a mistake but I doubt it and if so then my kids will score from my error in selection

It's my understanding that the cell/wifi version of the Ipad has a GPS built into it. The wifi only version does not.

Your kids are going to like their new toy. Ha!

Have you done the research on the hassle it's going to be to cache maps on the iPad that aren't going to be available when there is no cell coverage? Caching maps take up space. You'll need to get an iPad with adequate memory....more $$

Custom routes are much easier to create on the Garmin. It's not too late to turn back to the light! I have an iPad but it did not work well for me as a GPS.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Have been running Motion X with a Bad Elf GPS for years. First was on a larger iPad, now on an iPad mini. Have tried other apps, but Motion X seems to work the best for me. Also carry a small handheld Garmin for LandOps and walks. Yes, it can be a pain to download maps ahead of time, but I like the size of the display.

I agree with Willy...Apple is not the same without Jobs. He may have been an ass, but he was brilliant.

Sorry for the partial hijack.

I'll always throw Gaia GPS into the GPS recommendation mix. Pay for the pro version. I've been using it on iOS for about three years now from from Wyoming to Baja and it gets better with every upgrade. There are a few threads on Gaia here on 'Mud.

Who uses GAIA?

thanks for the link to the thread @leucadiacruiser - good info in there
Willy- I use an IPad with MotionX HD. I download the maps offline for the area going to and I load the tracks and waypoints. Works slick!

Awesome if you can plan. If I was full time over lander I would have a permanent gps. Also- can show you how to get Google Terrain maps onto MotionX for offline use!

Call my cell if interested.

I use the iPad with my Navionics app in the boat and I have tried quite a few apps for off road. Topo Maps, Motionx, Topo Canada, BC Backroads and now Hema which, so far, I like the best. I have a couple Garmin Map76 gps's, a Humminbird chart plotter in the jet boat and the gps in the iPad is as accurate, as fast to aquire and holds a satellite as well as any of them. I haven't taken the Hema app out of cell service yet but I expect that will happ n before Monday.

Thank you to everyone that posted advice and ideas / experiences. That's what makes this forum such a great resource.
I purchased an wifi iPad yesterday
And combing that with the Bluetooth GPS receiver. Should be a great combo for my needs.
Thank you

image.jpeg

Please let us know how you like your setup and include some screen shots. I'm interested in how well that GPS puck works and the ease at which you find it to download maps and routes. I'm particularly interested in the way you'll go about route creation and the degree to which you can customize it. A bigger screen IS always better! I might have to get one of those pucks.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom