manual trans swap for a 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, what kind of ratios are you gonna get with this?...efi/h42 sounds pretty sweet.

The beauty of the H55F is the possibilities it opens for travelling on the road. The lower first is nice, but the 5th gear OD is super. Witha 3F the combo would be perfect.

Just a thot.

M

i think i found a 2f/3f bellhousing through the classifieds. my grand plan is to put a 5 speed in eventually.

i want an h55f bad, dunbar and dd113 on here have done it and their posts indicate zero regrets. unfortunately i dont have $1600 lying around and i detest driving automatics because i just do. i figure the h42 is a good compromise for now.

i haven't figured out the ratios yet. my LC is bone stock save for 33x9.5 bfg at tires. all the anecdotal testimonials i've read sound like i'll loose a little top speed, maybe. i'm not really worried about that, i am looking forward to being able to downshift when i want to and not loosing so much power to the auto trans which really bites on uphill streches. if this is a poor match, i'll be sure to let y'all know.

I have a 2F BH that you can have for shipping..

Or I can bring it up to Reno the next time I am up there.
(might be a few months tho)

mace
if it says 3f on it somewhere you have a deal. reno is a 4+ hour drive from here (more like 5, seems to always be traffic these days), no gaurantee i'd be able to meet you.

i'll pm the address

No clue if it says 3F on it.
I did nto realize there was a difference in bolt patterns on the block.

i dunno what the real difference is. block bolt pattern isn't it i bet.

what godwin said above isn't the first time i've heard of a distinction, but i don't konw what it is

baldredhead said:
i dunno what the real difference is. block bolt pattern isn't it i bet.

what godwin said above isn't the first time i've heard of a distinction, but i don't konw what it is

Yeah, it's not the bolt patterns - bolt patterns should be the same. Something to do with a little grinding needed to fit the H55F to a pre-3F bellhousing, if my memory is correct.

baldredhead said:
i haven't figured out the ratios yet. my LC is bone stock save for 33x9.5 bfg at tires. all the anecdotal testimonials i've read sound like i'll loose a little top speed, maybe. i'm not really worried about that, i am looking forward to being able to downshift when i want to and not loosing so much power to the auto trans which really bites on uphill streches. if this is a poor match, i'll be sure to let y'all know.

In one of the 60's I'm running a 3FE + H42 + 33 x 10.5 BFG's + 4.11's. Same combo you'll have if you swap in an H42 into your FJ62. I doubt you'll have to downshift much, but even so in 3rd gear you can easily wind the 3FE out to 4000+. Ditch the slush box and you'll think you have an entirely new Cruiser.

With the above setup the 3FE runs ca. 3000 rpm at 70 mph.

thanks godwin, exactly what i wanted to hear and confirmation of my suspicions. some day i'll need the 5th gear though: at 70 you're likely to get run over around here on the freeway :eek:

Resurrecting an old thread...

H55F's do fit into earlier bellhousings, so don't limit your seach to a "3F" stamped bellhousing as they are by far the minority. Some have eluded to the "modifications" required to fit the H55F into an earlier bellhousing... having done quite a few of these (including using my 78' bellhousing), I can only thing of one small mod and that would be minor grinding (2 minutes?) for the index tabs on the H55F, but to be honest I am not 100% sure that you have to do this with later 2F bellhousings (no bellhousing motor mount style)

So in reality, any later model 80'+ 2F bellhousing should work just fine, especially if the price is right.

Has anyone actually done the grinding lately? It was such a small amount I can't even remember much about it (even after doing a H55F into a 76' 40 just a few months ago)... How long did it take you?

You do have to make the bellhousing grind modification on early FJ60 bell housings. It's no big deal at all.

landcruiserdude said:
You do have to make the bellhousing grind modification on early FJ60 bell housings. It's no big deal at all.

Just the little half circles in the "figure 8" for the alignment indexes? They shouldn't take more than a minute if I am thinking correctly, and they don't need to be accurate or tolerenced, just ground...

Actually, the grinding is to clear the oil return troughs that are cast into the front bearing retainer on later model manual trannies. Alignment is still handled by the dowel pins. The difference on the 3F/H55 BH compared to 84-earlier BH is the "clock angle". Early BH's mount the tranny w/ the top level. The 3F BH clocks the tranny over about 7 degrees to drop down the transfer case outputs. The improved driveshaft angles aren't really noticeable on a LWB FJ60, but I think it is a necessity on the SWB FJ70 w/ the long H55. Without the clocked BH, a 70 w/ tall non-US rear suspension would have the same rear driveshaft issues as a FJ40 w/ an H55 swapped in.

You'll also note that the center of the H55 tranny crossmember is tilted a matching 7 degrees so the same transmission mount fits all trucks, either w/ straight or clocked trannies. Neat, huh?

FJ40Jim said:
Actually, the grinding is to clear the oil return troughs that are cast into the front bearing retainer on later model manual trannies. Alignment is still handled by the dowel pins. The difference on the 3F/H55 BH compared to 84-earlier BH is the "clock angle". Early BH's mount the tranny w/ the top level. The 3F BH clocks the tranny over about 7 degrees to drop down the transfer case outputs. The improved driveshaft angles aren't really noticeable on a LWB FJ60, but I think it is a necessity on the SWB FJ70 w/ the long H55. Without the clocked BH, a 70 w/ tall non-US rear suspension would have the same rear driveshaft issues as a FJ40 w/ an H55 swapped in.

You'll also note that the center of the H55 tranny crossmember is tilted a matching 7 degrees so the same transmission mount fits all trucks, either w/ straight or clocked trannies. Neat, huh?

Now that is good tech Jim, thanks for the heads up! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom