Manifold to Cylinder Head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NeverGiveUpYota

Dare me.
Threads
So I had mine resurfaced awhile back. Reinstalled but then ended up pulling the head and having a valve job done.
A few weeks back I put the manifolds together and got all buttoned up and truck was definitely sucking air and running lean.
I pulled the manifolds off and went to another machinist w/o pulling either apart. It was obvious to feel that there was a step to the flanges (to be honest, I had copper permatex the two together at the heat riser. And yes, clearly I plowed ahead and they went together poorly). The new machinist told me I needed to have the three main bolts holding the exhaust and intake together loose so there was some wiggle room going up against the head. I thought he was crazy but after a few calls and some reading I found he was right on.
Gave it a shot today placed it to the head w/o a gasket just to see. Tightened the bolts to the head, then did the three and added the two lower for the J pipe. Now I can't get a .005 in close to where the bolts are but can get a .006 further out away from the bolts. I 'think' I'll be good especially since I'm not taking any chances and simply tossing a Remflex on since I have it.
I had searched many threads and only came across four mentions of keeping those loose in threads going as far back as '09.
Just thought I'd put this out there curious to see what sort of responses I'd get.

IMG_8502.PNG

IMG_8503.PNG

IMG_8504.PNG

IMG_8505.PNG

Last edited:
if the manifolds were not originally machined together, that was the problem. if the intake was machined down a few thousands more than the exhaust, when they were installed you would have needed a step washer to tighten both to the head.
I've had 2 or 3 machined by my local guy and always leave them together so you get 1 true plane.

the 1 time I just changed an intake, I did leave them loose so they would both be tight to the head. then tightened them together

They were machined together. Place I brought them to received them from me bolted together.

They were machined together. Place I brought them to received them from me bolted together.

are the 2 parts true where the washer sits? if they are and the manifold face is true, issue could be on the head side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom