Mackenzie Expedition 2010 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More info about Tweedsmuir Provincial park, which is where the Alexander MacKenzie trail ends for us, but continues well into the park.

Attachments

• hunlenfalls.pdf
    132.3 KB · Views: 284
  • park_map.pdf
    539.2 KB · Views: 208
  • rainbow.pdf
    133.9 KB · Views: 127
Mackenzie Trail Planning

For those coming on this expedition - please follow developments on the members' board. The information posted there will influence our route plans and our assessment of risks associated with whatever direction we decide to do the trail. In particular we are concerned now with access through the Kluskus fire that obstructed a motorized bypass last August. If impassable, we may have to go in from Anaheim Lake. I am in contact with the Roverlanders (Dave Blair), who has driven the trail four times in the last decade and we are awaiting word from the BC gov't on permission to cut this trail back in .

I didn't pick it up, but this month's Canadian 4x4 magazine has an article on the A Mackenzie trail.

The stars are slowly aligning ....

Last year during the Chilcotin expedition we met an ATV fellow by the name Wayne Makie at Upper Taseko Lake. Wayne said he had been through the Mackenzie trail several times on ATV. I contacted Wayne a few weeks ago and asked if he could provide us with notes along the route. It arrived today!

He has sent us maps with detailed mile marker notes along the entire stretch of the trail. His notes indicate segments that are ‘main trail, ‘not passable’, ‘side trips’, including open cabins, good fishing spots, interesting waterfalls, advise on fording streams and rivers, location of muddy sections (when wet), abandoned homesteads, wagon roads, airstrips, location of radio telephones and the names of people to see along the way. He has also identified a number of interesting side trips, including one south along the Panhandle Phillips Horse Trail, which leads to the Itcha Llgachuz park.

This is fabulous information and will greatly improve our trip experience. Yes -- the stars are slowly aligning ....

I didn't pick it up, but this month's Canadian 4x4 magazine has an article on the A Mackenzie trail.

Curiosity got the better of me and I picked it up - don't bother. There's far more info about the AM trail in this thread than there is in that article. It's pretty poor.

Mackenzie Expedition Update

Based on my informal Cruiser Days survey of interest of those confirmed and those "undecided" for the Mackenzie Expedition.

Confirmed
1 Glenn B
2 Mat R.
3 Bill W.
4 Gary T.
5 Drew E.
6 Grant and Wendy
7 Ronald

Undecided /Possible
1 Robert
2 Kris (Roverlanders)
3 Pete (Roverlanders)

We will meet Saturday evening July 24th, 2010. The distance from Vancouver to Quesnel is 660 km, (roughly 10 hour elapse time with lunch stop). I am hoping to locate a rest area south of Quesnel, to allow us to camp and compare notes and allow us to do last minute shopping Sunday morning in Quesnel (fuel, food, Save-On, Safeway, Walmart, etc.). Will post directions on this latter.

After Quesnel the next fuel is available in Anahim Lake at Grandma's Corner Service (open 8 am to 9 pm, Sunday 8 to 6) at $1.08/litre. The corner store has 'fresh' produce (grocery truck comes once a week). I called them to make sure they will have lots of fuel around the end of the month when we pull in. I suggest everyone their check their winches before we go

This link is to pictures of the last 2008 Roverlanders Trip.

Gallery :: Alexander MacKenzie Trail 2008

Possible meeting site

We could meet at Blue Lake Forest Site about 50 min south of Quesnel, then get last minute supplies in Quesnel Sunday morning.
Its near Soda Creek page 25, CC Mapbook A2

Hey Glenn,

unfortunately someone beat me to it and booked the last week of July so I won't be able to join you guys.
Given the short notice I don't think any rovers will be able to tag along with you , if this trip was mid august you would have four of us on this trek.
That short clip is of the muddy hill I was talking about last weekend, and for some odd reason the four times I was there it didn't seem to matter how wet or dry the weather ,it's always muddy.

I will get back to you with the way points with the obstacles.

Kris

The Expedition

I will not be around much before we leave. I have to go to the states on Wednesday and then to the island on Friday. Glenn if you want to give me a call on Saturday, my # is 652-3457. I plan to leave for 150 mile on Monday or Tuesday. Our trailer is there and I have to do a few repairs and improvements.
Wendy is going to drive up on Thursday so neither of us will be getting e-mail regularly. If someone wants to get in touch with me, the best is to e-mail me at tangye@bigfoot.com.
Wendy and I are going to host a Mexican dinner one night on the trail. It won't be fancy but it will be filling.
cya soon
Grant

Hey Glenn,

unfortunately someone beat me to it and booked the last week of July so I won't be able to join you guys.
Given the short notice I don't think any rovers will be able to tag along with you , if this trip was mid august you would have four of us on this trek.
That short clip is of the muddy hill I was talking about last weekend, and for some odd reason the four times I was there it didn't seem to matter how wet or dry the weather ,it's always muddy.

I will get back to you with the way points with the obstacles.

Kris

Thanks Kris
We will plan accordingly. Thanks

Glenn

From the video Kris was kind enough to share with us, the trails are tight, over grown and muddy. Now this was from 2002 and they may have take different paths from what we will be doing but the general idea was there. Sharpen your chainsaws and bring many of them. I am sure there are a lot of parts of the trail that were not on the video, from what I did see there wasn't any large off-camber action, fair bit of mud, lots of tree and branch cutting, very nice lakes and rivers. We'll have enough things keeping us busy out there.
Have not heard anything back from Tweedsmuir Park (even on the second e-mail I sent), and Ryan from the Chilkotin has not called me back. I will leave him another message this week.
Grant, we will be in touch with you next week to make sure everything goes smoothly.

So we are proceeding with meeting on 24th (Saturday) at Lickman rd Shell gas station (North side of the Highway exit) for 10:30 am. Departure very shortly after that so get there early and fuel up. We will be doing a stop in Cache Creek for some food and then off to Blue Lake Rec Site, Just North of Williams Lake, off Hwy 97, East side, Blue Rd (around 122*15' 52*20') page 25 A2 on the Backroad Mapbook for Cariboo Chilkotin Coast book.

Those who are going please PM or e-mail me your e-mail addresses or phone numbers so I can keep you in the loop. Drew will be setting up a little online chat about last details for Tuesday evening around 19:00 (7pm) to go over any final details. Drew also has a nice little file started that I would like to e-mail you for updates as to the gear everyone is bringing.
Thanks!
fantomdesigns@shaw.ca

Info

See new post in private board.

The small nozzle diesel pump at Lickman (island closest to the road) is broken. I called the Flying J and they said it would be fixed by the July 24th. If not the island fathest away from the road has a nozzle that will fit, although its bigger than the small nozzle. When using it slow down near fill or you will get wet.

I only used that "trickle pump", as they call, it once. Took for ever to fill 80L+. Always used the big nozzle pumps. You just need to have a rough idea on how many liters you are going to need and to keep an eye on the pump to know when you are getting close to the top. Only took one diesel bath to learn my lesson. :hillbilly:

Jealous here guys. Headed to the interior with family. Have a good, safe trip!

7 trucks, 8 people - 9 with Jordy

Is Jordy coming with Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom