Mac Mini On board?

Visit site
Mine are under the driver's seat. I thought it might be a little more open/cooler and less likely to pull out various plugs if it was in a fixed position. It would be more likely to get dirty or drown in this position. It might be less likely to be noticed in a break in under the seat. I guess there is no perfect place.:D

My positioning is shown in my ROTW write up.

Visit site
If you get an Intel Mini you can run windoze on it and use Garmin's GPS software. If you get an older Mini you could still use Parallels. A pre-Intel Mini would sure be dirt cheap.

Cool idea. Are you planning a dedicated 12V battery/alternator? Seems like the 12V accessories are adding up.

Visit site
I am not sure of the latest Parallels, earlier versions limited the number of USB devices and for me created problems with USB keyboard, mouse, touch screen and GPS. Boot camp allowed a better way for USB when I was getting mine set up. You may want to check on this.

lowenbrau

SILVER Star
Visit site
If you get an Intel Mini you can run windoze on it and use Garmin's GPS software. If you get an older Mini you could still use Parallels. A pre-Intel Mini would sure be dirt cheap.

Cool idea. Are you planning a dedicated 12V battery/alternator? Seems like the 12V accessories are adding up.

I already have the 'mini' It's an intel one that sits behind my TV for when i want to surf in the livingroom.

Yup I have the 24/12v converter charging an optima and all the 12v accessories are distrbuted from it.

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
Visit site
I think you could definitely have is working in the glovebox. I would cut a hole in the glove box and mount a normal PC fan in there. Having it pull air in there. Cover the outside of the glove box with a piece of furnace filter type stuff... good to go.

The glovebox will then vent out the door gaps.

then you could also set up a gps antenna to it and have it all displayed on a screen like a nav system.

For night time you could watch shows you down loaded with a bit torrent from places like this www.isohunt.com

I like this idea better than having a notebook in the car.

Visit site
I like this thread! I know next to nothing about carputers but I'd like to learn more about them. What is normally done about keyboards with a roof monitor setup? Do you have to install a small keyboard?

(I can't imagine what it would be like to operate OSX on a touch screen)

Visit site
Forgot about the prospect of using iTunes though the stereo - and I thought having an iPod interface was a nice touch.

I like this idea more by the minute...!

Visit site
This would be a very cool thing to have in a Cruiser. The possibilities are endless almost with a system like this. Wish I had some money to do something similar.

lowenbrau

SILVER Star
Visit site
The beauty of the setup is that it isn't really very expensive. This is especially true if it causes you to not buy a lot of other electronics. I think I spent about $600 on the mini last fall and it'll be enother couple hundred for the monitor. About $50 for the wireless mouse and keyboard.

Do you think a plain old webcam will work for a back up camera? If I get a better one I could actually record video of the rigs behind me on the trail. Maybe one out front too. (oh boy I'm gonna need a bigger harddrive).

lowenbrau

SILVER Star
Visit site
Thanks for the camera link.

Internet access is going to be a bit thin, I think, between Calgary and Alaska and as a result I haven't looked into aircards etc. Maybe the technology is there. I listen to a lot of Pandora while I'm at my desk.

I've been thinking of other uses for this thing.

Turbo timer.
Webasto controller
Remote starter
Antitheft vehicle tracking (connectect to the 2M)
Antitheft device

Uuggh I thought I was done wiring:crybaby:

lowenbrau

SILVER Star
Visit site
I'm not sure any of the Canadian cell companies have an unlimited transit package. I had a look on Telus's site and they want $100 for 250 megs. and $3/M for overage and US roaming. If I was in Sprintland and could get unlimited usage for $60 per month, that'd be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom