M8274 gear wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PXL_20210824_040357474.NIGHT.jpg

Apologies for the first post there, I slipped and pressed me enter key, and I guess the 'post thread' button was somehow selected. I also can't seem to edit that post. Mods can delete the first post, if anyone cares.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding an M8274, definitely an older one but it appears to be in great shape overall.

However, on the main and intermediate gears, I noticed some unusual wear and marring. I'm wondering if maybe a spacer was missing previously, or if anyone has seen anything like this. I don't see anything broken off on any of the internal parts.

Additionally, the intermediate gear has worn a bit into the casing as seen in my initial post.

I'm thinking I may smooth out the damage on the edge of the gears and call it a day, but still curious what the group would think.

Thanks!

PXL_20210824_040357474.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210824_035603285.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210824_035620655.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210824_035638682.NIGHT.jpg

Apologies for the first post there, I slipped and pressed me enter key, and I guess the 'post thread' button was somehow selected. I also can't seem to edit that post. Mods can delete the first post, if anyone cares.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding an M8274, definitely an older one but it appears to be in great shape overall.

However, on the main and intermediate gears, I noticed some unusual wear and marring. I'm wondering if maybe a spacer was missing previously

It's been some years since I rebuilt mine, but as I recall there is supposed to be a thrust washer there. You can still buy parts for these from a Warn dealer; if I were you I would get the "Lower housing service kit", Warn part # 8680 which should include the thrust washer.

These things are rugged and not rocket science/brain surgery; I would re-run your gears and case without a second thought, after replacing the bushings and the thrust washer.

Last edited:

However, on the main and intermediate gears, I noticed some unusual wear and marring. I'm wondering if maybe a spacer was missing previously, or if anyone has seen anything like this. I don't see anything broken off on any of the internal parts.

Additionally, the intermediate gear has worn a bit into the casing as seen in my initial post.

I'm thinking I may smooth out the damage on the edge of the gears and call it a day, but still curious what the group would think.

Thanks!

View attachment 2767873

View attachment 2767874

View attachment 2767875

View attachment 2767876

I'll second what @1911 said. I've used these 8274 winches in an industrial setting where we needed to pull some very heavy carts through a large pipe. We put these things to the test, each winch had probably 40,000' worth of line wound over a 6 month period. I had to replace the upper gear on one unit, but other than contactors, no issues with these beasts. I bought the winches and parts from this guy in Montana, I highly recommend him. Awesome service and you're supporting a small business. He can advise on your issues as well if you want input from a professional.

Edit to add: you may look at that 40,000' number and say no way, that's 7.5 miles, but it's not an exxageration. We were in a tunnel with 10,000' of pipe, and each winch had to be snatched due to the load we were pulling. Each cart went back & forth in the tunnel at least once, so 10,000' x 2 = 20,000' x two parted = 40,000' of line wound per winch. We did kill about 4 of the badland 12,000lb winches from harbor freight before I bit the bullet and did what I should have done from the start and spent $2k per winch for new 8274's.

Last edited:
This is pretty freaking epic
I'll second what @1911 said. I've used these 8274 winches in an industrial setting where we needed to pull some very heavy carts through a large pipe. We put these things to the test, each winch had probably 40,000' worth of line wound over a 6 month period. I had to replace the upper gear on one unit, but other than contactors, no issues with these beasts. I bought the winches and parts from this guy in Montana, I highly recommend him. Awesome service and you're supporting a small business. He can advise on your issues as well if you want input from a professional.

Edit to add: you may look at that 40,000' number and say no way, that's 7.5 miles, but it's not an exxageration. We were in a tunnel with 10,000' of pipe, and each winch had to be snatched due to the load we were pulling. Each cart went back & forth in the tunnel at least once, so 10,000' x 2 = 20,000' x two parted = 40,000' of line wound per winch. We did kill about 4 of the badland 12,000lb winches from harbor freight before I bit the bullet and did what I should have done from the start and spent $2k per winch for new 8274's.

Thanks!

View attachment 2767873

View attachment 2767874

View attachment 2767875

View attachment 2767876

That last pic, the big gear with crosspatch wear looks to be a factory blunder and should have never been installed but tossed...I cant see how forward and reverse motion could cause this type of wear..

Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

@1911, that definitely inspires confidence! It will definitely cover my needs!

@woodsman 44, I think you aren't far from the truth. I actually think the smaller gear has the factory defect, and when they bump against each other, if the defect is in play, the small gear takes a bite out of the big one. Hence the spiral crosshatch pattern on the big gear. You can see the track cut into the small gear on the bottom right corner of the photo of the it.

The funny thing is, the winch very clearly hasn't even been run very much. All the bearings and surfaces show only minimal wear and basically no damage. I really think it was a manufacturing defect on the small gear. Lucky for me, the PO didn't keep running it.

I ended up taking the gears to a machine shop to clean those two surfaces up. I get the feeling the track on that small gear would just keep chewing the big gear forever. It probably wouldn't create much trouble, but I figure it'll probably last forever if I clean the gears up a bit.

Thanks again! I'll post some pics of the gears when I get them back from the shop.

I found this pic of someone else's main gear. You can see the same crosshatch pattern, just not nearly as pronounced. It seems to me that any defect in the contacting area on the small gear would result in my situation.

1630050508043.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom