M101 tailgate & homemade fold out tent... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got the rack welded together and on the trailer, you can see how it extands past the front of the trailer giving 7 feet, and once unfolded giving 8 feet, for a 7 x 8 platform...pics below show the double hinge made out of 1/2" bolts, the locking mechanism when it's folded (without locking pin). The two pieces that are angled laying into the trailer are the outrigers for the unfolded rack, once the plywood is on they will fold into that in be held in place, the racks have been drilled and tapped so the ply will be held on with flush bolts, with no nuts sticking out.

now just have to finish the screw type outrigger feet, and the C-channel that goes across the three racks when unfolded which wil keep the 3 pieces aligned....
trailer 038.jpg
trailer 040.jpg

two more pics mentioned in previous post...
trailer 037.jpg
trailer 036.jpg

Maybe I am missing something here (not uncommon) ;)

How will your hinge become rigid? It looks like the hinge will span the gap instead of the tubes coming together and "bracing" on another, is that right? Sorry I can't really tell from the pics. I love the idea keep it coming!

Drew

I'm not sure I understand the question...but I'll try to answer what I think you are asking...

when its unfolded you'll have 3 pieces with two hinges between them. Two 20" of C channel have been made up to horizontally slide onto the three pieces, bridging them from each side. The C channel has holes for two pins to drop in vertically, locking it in place. Now the two main sections will be locked together with the small floating section locked between...the platform will then be supported by two drop down outriggers to keep the locked platform from tipping the trailer...

I'll try to take picks tonite of it folded out before I dismantle it for paint....

Tailgate paintes and installed, latches in place, the reflectors went back in the stock holes...I hung it open just to show it, I'll be installing two aircraft cables to support it...

On to the tent rack....on Tuesday : ) Long weekend now : )

This has got to be one of the CLEANEST tailgate installs I have seen. Very Very good work. Now, when can I bring mying over for you to do ? ;)

I scrapped the C-channel locking idea, and went with a big pin going thru all three sections, it workls much easier...in the pic I'm clamping the tubes, the pic is there, we welded a handle on it, so you can slide it back and forth....

I'm doing the final paint tonite, fitting the ladder tomorrow, fitting the tent Friday...
trailer 043.jpg

Does the fold-out have a removable support leg...or is it just the pins?

Looking pretty good so far :beer:

There are ywo legs that fold out, if you look carefully in one of the pics of the rack folded on the trailer, you'll see them laying into the trailer...they are 1 x 1 with a 5/8 threaded rod with a big wingnut on them, with a foot welded on to the threaded rod, so you can turn them up or down depending on the terrain...they will fold against the underside of the wood when in transit...

"Bolt Action" is sweet! Nice idea and execution.

it really works well, it's a piece of heavy wall mechanical pipe...tapered at one end, and has a 1/2 " round welded on one end at a 90..I was surprised how easy is slides in and out...

attached pic, welding up the pin holders, you can see the swing down supports with the threaded extensions...
trailer 042.jpg

OK, big changes, it's done, tent mounted, pic 1 loading up for the weekend...pic 2 backing onto the site, pic 3, starting deployment...you can see the tent held in by shock cord, it's fixed at one end, corded at the other, to stretch it out as it unfolds...the trailer is 8X 7, the tent 7 X7 giving me a pad at the entrance...you can also see the swing down supports strapped in...
trailer046.jpg
trailer047.jpg
trailer044.jpg

Pulling the lock down pin, one of two...unfolding tent, with the bifold hinge...sliding the pin home through the three tubes, I have higher tension on one hinge, so i can slip the pin easily thru the first tube, then the second...
trailer045.jpg
trailer049.jpg
trailer051.jpg

pins in place, tent is supported by the pins...dropping swing down supports....support detail, I have chain loops on the ends, if I need to stake them....
trailer052.jpg
trailer055.jpg
trailer048.jpg

slide in spacers to fill the gap at the hinge, makes for a flat floor inside, rhere are 4 42" spacers that slip in...the big drawer, wheels at one end, slides in under the tent...
trailer056.jpg
trailero59.jpg
trailer057.jpg

and this is it....the poles can be fitted from the ground by walking around the trailer, the pole for the fly also goes on, then up she goes...also note the ladder, it has pins that slip into holes at the edge of the platform......

2 sheets plywood, 1 gallon sealer, 1/2 gallon paint, 80 feet 1" square tubing, $100 eureka tent...and some odds and ends...

DONE : )
trailero58.jpg

Last edited:
DAMN Son...you did reaaaaallll good!!! Now that is extremely cool, you know how to make a guy feel bad for dumping a grand into a RTT...lol. Very nice, drawer completes it:clap:

thanks for the compliments...if you look at the one drawer pic, the wood on top, is like a bench, you pull it out, and the end of the drawer sits on it when fully extended...

I forgot to mention the 5 cans of olive drab spray paint i needed

that is one solid looking drawer. Good job engineering the fold out panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom