LX470 or regular cab short bed tundra? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys so I have the opportunity to trade my 2000 LX470 for a 2007 RCSB Tundra with 4 wheel drive. I really like to go offroad and since this tundra is pretty small I was wondering if I should trade or not? It's got the 5.7 v8 which would be a nice power upgrade from the Lexus but I wanna know what y'all think

You're almost comparing apples to baseballs. There is a TON you give up having a pickup that you will probably miss unless you are just ready to move on from the GX. Is this your only vehicle? If it's just for offroading, the GX still makes more sense in most use cases. The tech will be 'newer' on the Tundra, the engine bigger and slightly more sprightly but that's a lot you are giving up moving from a wagon to a pickup unless you are regularly hauling big dirty stuff and towing a lot.

Edit: also the Tundra short bed may be shorter but I bet it's also way wider than the GX. My Sequoia is ****ing enormous

You're almost comparing apples to baseballs. There is a TON you give up having a pickup that you will probably miss unless you are just ready to move on from the GX. Is this your only vehicle? If it's just for offroading, the GX still makes more sense in most use cases. The tech will be 'newer' on the Tundra, the engine bigger and slightly more sprightly but that's a lot you are giving up moving from a wagon to a pickup unless you are regularly hauling big dirty stuff and towing a lot.

Edit: also the Tundra short bed may be shorter but I bet it's also way wider than the GX. My Sequoia is f***ing enormous
Yeah my lx470 (I refer to it as a landcruiser) is my daily driver and I do take it offroad pretty frequently. The Tundra seems to get slightly better gas mileage (I doubt it) and I could just put a topper on the back but idk. The rarity factor of it is whats drawing me to the tundra. I absolutely love my Lexus despite it's many flaws but sometimes I feel a need for speed that my LX just can't provide if you know what I mean

Nobody is gonna know the right decision but you, but if you can only have one vehicle, having a shortbed pickup is gonna piss you off more often than it makes you happy if I had to guess :) there is no right or wrong answer, only what you want. And none of these big trucks are "fast" so there's that

Nobody is gonna know the right decision but you, but if you can only have one vehicle, having a shortbed pickup is gonna piss you off more often than it makes you happy if I had to guess :) there is no right or wrong answer, only what you want. And none of these big trucks are "fast" so there's that
Yeah I know but the V8 roar and the ability to pass most cars on the freeway with no hesitation is something that I miss from the old f150 5.0 that I used to drive

Also sorry I'm a dumdum and read LX as GX as I was on the GX forum before. Regardless, I still trend towards keeping the wagon/LX/LC. The V8 roar I'd bet you can get with a relatively cheap exhaust setup and a Tundra is not gonna be doing highway racing either. I love that big dumb simple V8 in my truck and it is by no means slow but it is far from fast

Is your LX 4wd? What uses would you get out of the truck that you don't with the current LX? The short bed of the Tundra isn't very useful either, so I'd probably keep the LX, especially if you've had it for a long time and know the maintenance was done right.

I know I'm late to the party but I will be the dissenter here. Just sold my LX that was completely outfitted for off-road, in exchange for a tundra double cab. The hell you say, right? So here's why. My LX is a beast off-road. It will take on any trail to include the ones that make me really uncomfortable and does it with ease and grace. But it is 20 years old. It is in immaculate condition, but within the next few years parts availability will become an issue. Every series cruiser experiences it. When I first got into cruisers the 55s were experiencing it, then the 60s and we are seeing it some with the 80s. Guess who is next? Mostly it isn't an issue since these are tanks, but it is coming. The 100 series trucks have been out of production for awhile. There were also a few variations which exacerbates the parts issue as time marches forward. Do I think my LX has another 20 years? Yes I do. However, I am getting older at the same time, and every trip to Lowe's means I need to hookup a trailer. Not nearly as easy as it used to be. Also, I don't need 3 rows of seats and a DVD player, my son is grown and well out on his own. I honestly don't need the 2 rows of seats of the double cab tundra, but opted for it just in case. The tundra is very capable off-road and seriously reliable. Once I finish building it out it will be really close to the capability of my LX minus the size issue. I can put a load in it without hooking anything else to it. I can more comfortably sleep in back if I so choose (I have an insulated cap). It is more modern although not "nicer" (LX really has staying power), with some nice to have tech upgrades. Aftermarket parts are widely available. Also, if you have an LX and feel it may not be your forever truck, now is the time to sell. I will not disclose the deal I closed selling it but you won't get a better time to make that move. If you have the LX as a pure trail ride it will be the keeper, but if the LX or Tundra will be a sometimes daily, the tundra offers a lot that the LX doesn't. I will miss my LX. Loved that truck, but don't feel the tundra gives up anything, it is just different. The tundra also fits our needs better at this point than the LX did. Figure out what features you need, discuss capabilities with your spouse and commit to the right choice for you for the next few years. No one can say one is the best choice for everyone over the other.

Last edited:
I will not disclose the deal I closed selling it but you won't get a better time to make that move.
You got an especially good deal because you directly lied to me about the rust holes in the tailgate and the power steering system leaking.
I had no problem with the other numerous little things like the winch not working, the parking brake being completely seized from rust, shot hood struts etc.. But I specifically asked if there was any rust by the latch on the bottom of the upper tailgate and you said there was none. Absolute lie.

I find it hard to believe that the steering was perfect under your ownership, and it just happened to leak ALL of the fluid out the day after I bought it. It's possible, but extremely unlikely. That whole area under the input shaft was covered in ATF the day I got it.

It's out of commission stuck in my garage now and I'm in for $2,000+ in parts alone to get it even close to the condition that you described. That tailgate will never be saved.

But congratulations on getting such a good deal.

PXL_20211123_235549165.jpg

PXL_20211122_150543581_2.jpg

PXL_20211123_011926003.jpg

PXL_20211122_150552362.jpg

PXL_20211122_150558758.jpg

PXL_20211122_150602818.jpg

You got an especially good deal because you directly lied to me about the rust holes in the tailgate and the power steering system leaking.
I had no problem with the other numerous little things like the winch not working, the parking brake being completely seized from rust, shot hood struts etc.. But I specifically asked if there was any rust by the latch on the bottom of the upper tailgate and you said there was none. Absolute lie.

I find it hard to believe that the steering was perfect under your ownership, and it just happened to leak ALL of the fluid out the day after I bought it. It's possible, but extremely unlikely. That whole area under the input shaft was covered in ATF the day I got it.

It's out of commission stuck in my garage now and I'm in for $2,000+ in parts alone to get it even close to the condition that you described. That tailgate will never be saved.

But congratulations on getting such a good deal.

View attachment 2854055

View attachment 2854056

View attachment 2854057

View attachment 2854058

View attachment 2854059

View attachment 2854060
Shots fired

I vote for the reg cab short bed - those things are unicorns. Especially with the 5.7L and 4x4.

RCLB is the way to go. If you’re gonna get a truck, get a real one ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom