LX470 corner light to turn signal conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

prwillard2

SILVER Star
Threads
Upgraded my headlights with HIDs that I got from @Luke111 and decided to upgrade my corner marker lights as well.

Got the clear corner lights from @ranma21

I knew that I would need to move my LX470 blinker signals eventually, as I plan to get a new front bumper after this next deployment. But with the clear corners I figured it was a great time to get this all out of the way right now.

Parts required:
Clear corners from @ranma21
Corner light socket, bulb (3 Prongs): 90075-99106 x2
Housing connector (3 Prongs): 90980-11020 x2
Terminal Repair (for insert into housing connector) x6 82998-12440
Light Bulb (has 2 Filaments): Sylvania 1157A x2

Solder shrink connectors x6
Some way to cap off a live wire (I used a shrink connector cap)

First, disconnect your battery.

To start, you're going to want to remove your current corner lights and remove the plug that is currently in the back of the light. Set these corner lights aside to sell to someone who's broken theirs.

Then you'll need to disconnect your blinker light electrical plug, and feed this up to where you removed your corner lights. These two plugs (each with 2 wires) will be merged into your new housing connector plug with the 3 wires coming off it.

72E836A4-CB5F-4207-BE3B-048EFCFFFD91.jpeg

BC5F20E8-C73F-487D-BB03-CE6DCA77AAE0.jpeg

327D3F5E-A891-45CC-A787-1DDD4823C721.jpeg

F268F110-0A09-4DAC-942B-01A8F4C07339.jpeg

EE91A5A5-53CC-423E-86FC-17BFE24F8086.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that you've got both plugs fed up to work on, cut the original plugs off both. The original corner light will have a black/white wire (ground) and a solid green wire.

The original blinker light will have a black/white wire (ground) and a green/yellow (on my passenger side blinker, the drivers was green/black).

Since my blinker wires were a thicker gauge than my corner lights, take the ground (black/white) from your blinker and attach to wire #2 on your connector housing (the middle one, they're labeled, don't mess it up).

Then take the original blinker light green/yellow (or green/black) and attach to wire #3 on your connector housing.

Then take the original corner light wire (solid green) and connect to wire #1 on your connector housing.

Then, seal off the spare ground wire that was on your original corner light. You could probably also merge this into wire #2 on your housing connector, but I didnt think it would be necessary.

I took the time to then use electrical tape to organize things and make sure all the solder seals were extra protected.

Connect the housing to the bulb housing in your upgraded corner lights and re-install.

Voila! You've now turned your corner lights into your turn signals!

53D3BE1C-224F-4735-BFBD-0DB0FD29A744.jpeg

A08A6812-02CB-4473-AA4D-37EA101E402A.jpeg

ADEC4A84-BB8E-4CA3-8BBD-09EA6D9AE4CF.jpeg

486171B7-FAA4-4082-84FC-F8C77D002E6B.jpeg

6E127B78-A3E5-4596-80BC-1B959CF11550.jpeg

Last edited:
I was looking around on Amazon for some extra 1157A bulbs and stumbled across the following: Amazon product ASIN B07QC4FFPV
I wasn't very excited about the daytime running lights being amber, so the light above seemed to be the ticket. It runs the DRLs as white, and the blinker as yellow.

Decided to give them a shot and boy are they bright! Way brighter than the standard incandescent 1157A bulb. Only issue is that because they're LEDs my truck thinks that I've got a blown bulb. That's not the case, but it "hyper flashes" my blinkers now. From one of the Amazon reviews it would seem I need some sort of resistor, "They draw very little current and either your flasher relay won’t create enough heat to open/close the contacts within the relay, or if electronically switched, the pcm will likely think it is open (blown incandescent bulb) ".

Anyone know how to fix this? It's not a huge problem for me, as it actually helps to show me turning even better in my opinion.

Pics #1 is a new LED in the passenger side and the incandescent in the drivers. Last pic is with both installed, it's WAAAAY brighter.

6375204D-A5B2-4675-B6DE-65476D24B72D.jpeg

9EDBE16A-9370-4C5D-8BC5-2F4EAF104C6C.jpeg

958F316E-5753-4EE0-85F0-BF86517DAB8F.jpeg

Last edited:
Upgraded the corner light bulbs, but need some help regarding resistors if anyone has some experience!

Upgraded the corner light bulbs, but need some help regarding resistors if anyone has some experience!
Nice thread with pics and part #s!

I wish I had wired mine for the turn signal function (even if I wasn't going to use it right away) instead of just marker lights. I have an ARB bumper and the LED turn signal kit in it gave it the hyperflash. You'll need to replace the flasher module

Are new corner lights required, or just the updated bulb sockets, etc.? I am looking to do this and don't mind the stock corner lights. I saw another thread where OEM Land Cruiser corners were used in place of the LX470 corners, so I am a bit confused as to whether a new set of corner lights is needed or not.

Thanks!

Chris

Are new corner lights required, or just the updated bulb sockets, etc.? I am looking to do this and don't mind the stock corner lights. I saw another thread where OEM Land Cruiser corners were used in place of the LX470 corners, so I am a bit confused as to whether a new set of corner lights is needed or not.

Thanks!

Chris

I used an LED bulb that would use white lights as my running lights, then blink yellow. So yes, you'll need different bulbs. This is what I used:
Amazon product ASIN B07QC4FFPV

Neat. I learned some stuff, so thanks for posting.

It kind of strikes me as odd that these things just have marker lights on the corners instead of an additional blinker. I've gotta dig into my new project and replace some bulbs- but might somehow amend your process to have the running lights and blinker in corner and leave the other blinker in the bumper. It just seems to me there should be more provision for seeing the blinker from the side of the truck. Adding sidemarkers would be another approach, which I might do instead.

I actually just did this today in preparation of a new bumper this week. Great write up and the photos are certainly helpful.

I used an LED bulb that would use white lights as my running lights, then blink yellow. So yes, you'll need different bulbs. This is what I used:
Amazon product ASIN B07QC4FFPV

My question was more about the housings themselves. Are new housings required or will the OEM LX470 corner housings works and you just put the new bulb socket and dual filament (or LED in your case) bulb in place?

Thanks.

Thanks for the write up. Cool that you can get dual colored lights. Looks like your link is broken. Is this the light?

FYI I saw a post from @whirlybirdbrewing (WB's LX470 Build) about using the stock LX turn signal plug for the DEPO lights. Looks like you can just splice into the LX turn signal and then plug that into the DEPO corner light. No need to buy anything additional other than the corner light housings and the new bulbs.

And a few basic questions... are your fog lights still in the bottom? It looks like most bumpers have openings for fog/turn lights, why move the turn to the corner?

Last edited:
My question was more about the housings themselves. Are new housings required or will the OEM LX470 corner housings works and you just put the new bulb socket and dual filament (or LED in your case) bulb in place?

Thanks.

The physical light overall is the same, need the new 3 wire bulb holder.

Thanks for the write up. Cool that you can get dual colored lights. Looks like your link is broken. Is this the light?

FYI I saw a post from @whirlybirdbrewing (WB's LX470 Build) about using the stock LX turn signal plug for the DEPO lights. Looks like you can just splice into the LX turn signal and then plug that into the DEPO corner light. No need to buy anything additional other than the corner light housings and the new bulbs.

And a few basic questions... are your fog lights still in the bottom? It looks like most bumpers have openings for fog/turn lights, why move the turn to the corner?

I moved the corners because I was planning to get a new bumper, plus my fogs and turn signals on my old bumper were fogged over.

I wouldn't recommend splicing the stock LX bulb housing. Now you're using your the bulb for two things, when it should be a different filament. Will probably lead to additional burn out, etc. But I assume it could work, but I didn't find it to be a good idea.

I moved the corners because I was planning to get a new bumper, plus my fogs and turn signals on my old bumper were fogged over.

I wouldn't recommend splicing the stock LX bulb housing. Now you're using your the bulb for two things, when it should be a different filament. Will probably lead to additional burn out, etc. But I assume it could work, but I didn't find it to be a good idea.

Ah I forgot that the new plug has 3 pins vs the 2 pin flasher.

Probably a beginner question, but what is "terminal repair"?

Ah I forgot that the new plug has 3 pins vs the 2 pin flasher.

Probably a beginner question, but what is "terminal repair"?

The terminal repair are the physical wires that snap into the bulb housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom