LX 450 Rust & Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello TAC,

First time poster here. I've got a '96 LX 450, 140k , Lockers I've also got a '92 4runner.

The LX needs plenty of maintenance , what would you do if you were me? Is this thing worth time and money?

IMG_20170808_185822301.jpg
IMG_20170807_080616273_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170806_172202564_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170806_132804903.jpg

IMG_20170807_080616273_HDR.jpg

Oh, wow. Is the frame that bad, or just the axle and removable componets?

140k miles and lockers make it great, but with rust like that, I will assume your lower rocker (behind the lexus plastic) is texas toast.

Frame is fine, the only area where the rust is large flakey chunks is the rear receiver, which can be replaced. The first picture shows where I had wire brushed the axle.

My 450 is from Northeast and although the PO was very good at cleaning the interior and exterior, the frame has the typical rust area the worst being the rear axle and back.

if you have the time and energy, raise the truck and start wirebrushing, grinding out the rust off the frame. Degrease then do a POR15 or any rust paint you want to use. Same with the body.

Then start PB blasting the bolts and spray fluid film inside and outside the frame. Basically, keep it well oiled.

I'm still halfway on this job, i just did the rear since it needs the most attention plus winter was setting in. The rest of the frame is pretty decent but i still plan to complete the job this summer.

I just did the suspension on mine and was worried about rust seized bolts but i didn't have any problems at all other than a few that required heating (i don't want to break the bolts).

Good luck!

I am a little more intense. I jack up the car, take out the rear axle and parts, sandblast, paint and them roll them back under. Done.

I prime with epoxy primer, then John Deere blitz black.

Yes, my yard looks like Sanford and Sons for a few weeks; however, bulletproof for many many years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom