LT + ranger od = hole in the floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rhah

Admit it, your cruisers jealous
Threads
finishing up with my 4.8L swap into my 60.

Time for the shift lever for the ranger To go in meaning time to cut a hole

Who has this setup installed in their rig.

Where and how did you guys run your shift lever. Pics are greatly welcome

Trying to get this wrapped up before sas2

Look for some of the LS build threads (isn't a 4.8L an LS not an LT, thought LT was 5.0/5.7 vortec). I am sure someone has somewhere but most end up opting for the 4LXX auto when push comes to shove.

@orion has a Ranger behind a V8 and I’m sure he’d be able to post pics of his setup.

Look for some of the LS build threads (isn't a 4.8L an LS not an LT, thought LT was 5.0/5.7 vortec). I am sure someone has somewhere but most end up opting for the 4LXX auto when push comes to shove.

Ls all aluminum block, out of cars
Lt cast block, mostly out of trucks

Seems like the masses are all about those auto tranny’s. Why I have had a hard time finding anyone with a manual and a ranger to view

When I get mine done I’ll post up but it’s not yet.

I’m putting a bracket adjacent the shift tower and running a linkage to the ranger shift cam. That way it should be parallel with the stock shifter and a fore and aft motion.

Btw, the 4.8 is an ls style block gen 3 or 4, the lt is a version of the gen 2 motors. Nothing to do with Aluminium vs iron. The 4.8 is the lr4, 5.3 is lm7 or 6.0 is lq4 or lq9

When I get mine done I’ll post up but it’s not yet.

I’m putting a bracket adjacent the shift tower and running a linkage to the ranger shift cam. That way it should be parallel with the stock shifter and a fore and aft motion.

Btw, the 4.8 is an ls style block gen 3 or 4, the lt is a version of the gen 2 motors. Nothing to do with Aluminium vs iron. The 4.8 is the lr4, 5.3 is lm7 or 6.0 is lq4 or lq9

Looking forward to these pics of that setup sounds very clean

thanks your for the clarification, now I know!

In and mated just working all kinks out

7702999C-3559-4CE9-9E4B-1D3D55FC5537.jpeg

3001C317-9D5C-451B-A61D-1749A9017413.jpeg

Mine has a ~8" long (?) piece of 1/4" flat steel coming straight back off the Ranger linkage (bolted on with the top 2 bolts).

The far end of it has a 10-12" long piece of tubing that goes up through the floor, with a 8-ball knob on the end. All done by the previous owner of my truck.

Works fine, but has a LONG throw. The slit in the trans tunnel must be 6-7" long. It has also proven to be hard to find a shift boot that allows that much movement (as most shifters are mounted to the floor / pivot at the floor - So they have much less "throw").

If I were to do it over (and I'm thinking about it), I would spend the $$$ on a cable setup. Fixed mounted shifter on the floor, with a push-pull cable to connect to the Ranger. Something like a doubler (transfer case) setup for a buggy or Jeep...but only using one cable, of course (many of them have 2-3 cables).

I'll try to get a pic of my setup and post it here after work today/tomorrow.

- Brian

Mine has a ~8" long (?) piece of 1/4" flat steel coming straight back off the Ranger linkage (bolted on with the top 2 bolts).

The far end of it has a 10-12" long piece of tubing that goes up through the floor, with a 8-ball knob on the end. All done by the previous owner of my truck.

Works fine, but has a LONG throw. The slit in the trans tunnel must be 6-7" long. It has also proven to be hard to find a shift boot that allows that much movement (as most shifters are mounted to the floor / pivot at the floor - So they have much less "throw").

If I were to do it over (and I'm thinking about it), I would spend the $$$ on a cable setup. Fixed mounted shifter on the floor, with a push-pull cable to connect to the Ranger. Something like a doubler (transfer case) setup for a buggy or Jeep...but only using one cable, of course (many of them have 2-3 cables).

- Brian

I have cable shifters for my transfer case and doubler shifters and they’re awesome.

Very nice, how high does yours sit in the engine bay? I tried to be conservative but think it may have ended up a little too low
same boat I think I’m low but letting it ride right now being as I’m trying to get it done for the solid axle summit.

Might end up raising it when I get back but not much room to raise

- Brian
Please do this sounds like a quick doable option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom