Lost 3rd gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just getting my truck on the road after it sat for 10 years. I have been doing shakedown runs to make sure everything works properly. On my drive today 3rd gear quit working. Specifically I could not get it to shift into 3rd gear. It is a 3 speed manual. I think it is the original to the 1970 FJ40 but since it has had Ma at owners I am not sure.

Other than taking it out and rebuilding it, is there anything I can do try try and get 3rd gear back?

Matt

If its 3 on the tree, look at the linkage. On the floor, maybe look under the boot and make sure the shifter is still locked in place. You might check the clutch master, slave for proper working - maybe bleed it to make sure it is extending enough to fully disengage the clutch.

Everything said above.
First question that needs answered: Is it 3 on the tree or was it converted to floor shift?

Can it go in 3rd when sitting still and not running? If yes, then it’s probably slave cylinder/master cylinder and adjustment related.

If no (and 3 on tree), it’s probably linkage related. (Does it work again when it’s cold?)

Short of the gear getting abducted by aliens, they don’t just stop working in these simple 3 speeds. And if it wasn’t making a horrendous noise, it’s likely a very simple fix.

Thank you for the quick feedback. It 3 on the floor. I will check the couple items this morning.

Thanks again for the input!

Matt

define " LOST " 3rd gear a bit more ?

- stuck IN or WILL NOT " Go IN ?

this is a FJ40 H42 with a Broken DETENT BALL Spring

- POST REPAIR

this was a bit a spur for me to to diagnose :

was it previously working?
or
is this a new issue?

has the rig been sitting a while?

when in second gear and you try to move the shift lever straight down, what happens?

Lost=will not go in. When trying to go from second to third it is like pulling against a hard stop. I tried with the engine off and on, no difference.

The vehicle has been sitting for several years. Then I drove the vehicle a couple times and 3rd gear worked. Then 2 days ago, it would not longer go in 3rd gear.

my WAG is there is something in the top shifter plate, or atleast that is where I would start.

How would I figure that out? Just take the top cover off?

yes, remove the trans hump, then the tans top cover where the shifter goes thru
it will make sence when removed

take pics and post if you have questions

Thank you! I will get on it this week and share some pics.

1692569950247.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom