Loss of power with foot on gas pedal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok

i recently completed my 180k mile service on my 2000 Land Cruiser at a 'dedicated' Land Cruiser person here in Texas and since receiving the vehicle I've begun to experience a loss of power when pressing on the gas, as if it is stalling or the fuel isn't being sent into the engine smoothly.

It is most noticeable in the following occasions:
After putting the vehicle in drive and bringing the speed up to 20 miles per hour, it seems to drop in power and idle back just a bit(not complete stall) and takes a second to smoothly accelerate to 30, 40 mph.

on the highway, it will intermittently lose power in small dosages, just enough that it is felt that the vehicle drops a bit in power, perhaps 5 to 10%. I would characterize the loss of power as not a smooth power delivery that holds consistently. It does seem to dissipate as the vehicle runs for longer periods. Meaning it doesn't seem to continue if you drive for more than 30 to 40 minutes.

I returned the LC to said mechanic and we replaced the fuel filter on his diagnosis and advice. I should mention this fuel filter was replaced at 135k miles as well, so at 174k miles it now has it's third fuel filter.

I think we can safely rule out the fuel filter but wanted to hear suggestions from folks here on the board that might have had a similar experience. The issue was clearly not addressed by replacing the fuel filter.

My gut tells me that the fuel pump may be in need of replacement, but regardless, I'm taking the LC to a different mechanic this week as I'm suspicious of the original findings.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Specs:

2000 Land Cruiser
174k miles
Recently completed 180k mile service and replaced a laundry list of hoses as well.

I had the same issue two months ago on my 06 LX with 188k. Happened once on the highway after an hour or so on trail moving slowly in 4L. Pulled over, turned engine off, turned back on, hasn’t happened since.

Last edited:
Few things come to mind. One being coils misfiring. Check for pending DTC and hook up tech stream to watch misfires. While watching put vehicle engine under load. By holding on foot brake and drop shifter into drive. Then raise RPMs to ~1,500, than 2,000, than 2,500 and hold at each a few seconds. .

Fuel pump is a possibility. But what I've seen is cranking with failure to start in 98-05. In 06-07 the engine will stop running after pulling up a hill, after crest of hill as gas RPM drop back, engine dies.

This was happening to me. New throttle body fixed my issue. If you have a scan gauge, monitor the TPS and see if the number reduces in value as your lose power. If it does, replacing APPS or TPS won’t fix this. A new throttle body took care of it for me.

When mine did this when I had done some work I ended up with a kink in the fuel line going from the canister under the hood where it goes over the heads. Fixed the kink no more problems.

This was happening to me. New throttle body fixed my issue. If you have a scan gauge, monitor the TPS and see if the number reduces in value as your lose power. If it does, replacing APPS or TPS won’t fix this. A new throttle body took care of it for me.
Good idea to check. Although possible, not common in 2000 (Jan 00-) and should show up as a DTC pending or active.

Had this same issue after changing fuel filter, following for updates

Few things come to mind. One being coils misfiring. Check for pending DTC and hook up tech stream to watch misfires. While watching put vehicle engine under load. By holding on foot brake and drop shifter into drive. Then raise RPMs to ~1,500, than 2,000, than 2,500 and hold at each a few seconds. .

Fuel pump is a possibility. But what I've seen is cranking with failure to start in 98-05. In 06-07 the engine will stop running after pulling up a hill, after crest of hill as gas RPM drop back, engine dies.
We have a winner!

Mine was purely a coils issue. Swapped out three coils and the problem was fixed.

We have a winner!

Mine was purely a coils issue. Swapped out three coils and the problem was fixed.
Glade you found it.

I'd be saving up for full set of Denso Coils, and set of spark plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom