loss of power While driving HELP plz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone I just purchased a 1992 Land Cruiser . I have a power loss Issue while I'm driving i lift off the accelerator briefly then engage it again and i get no power at the petal then i usually pull over wait a second then take off again and everything is fine. ? it happens often and have no idea what it is. i took it too a mechanic shop and of course it didn't do it when they drove it . so if anyone has an idea as to what it could be id appreciate it plz and thank you

Hey everyone I just purchased a 1992 Land Cruiser . I have a power loss Issue while I'm driving i lift off the accelerator briefly then engage it again and i get no power at the petal then i usually pull over wait a second then take off again and everything is fine. ? it happens often and have no idea what it is. i took it too a mechanic shop and of course it didn't do it when they drove it . so if anyone has an idea as to what it could be id appreciate it plz and thank you
More details needed.
Does it only happen when hot?
What maintenance has been done?

I had a similar issue with my 93 I started with adjusting the throttle position sensor TPS that wasn’t it. Then I checked the transmission and I found a bad solenoid. I had it replaced and that fixed my issue. Mine wasn’t down shifting when I let off the gas that was causing the loss of power. There are lots of threads on here addressing both. I hope this helps good luck.

Usual checks, air leaks, TPS ect, any codes?

Oh and BTW, Welcome :flipoff2:

Regards

Dave

yes i have a code for the o2 sensors they had to be ordered i will be replacing Saturday. if that's not it should i replace all the sensors possible?

I had similar problems with my '92 a while back. Cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body were what finally fixed it. Here's my thread on it.
'92 FJ80 power loss?

Thank you for that i actually have a TPS on the way and i with pick up some cleaner for the throttle body and MAF hopefully it takes care of this issue.

It's going to be really hard to clean the MAF because you truck doesn't have one. It has a VAF which is a completely different animal and would not require cleaning in the same manner as a MAF.

It's going to be really hard to clean the MAF because you truck doesn't have one. It has a VAF which is a completely different animal and would not require cleaning in the same manner as a MAF.
It's an AFM (air flow meter), but who's counting?

Jon, they all have Air and Flow in the acronym.........

Mass Air Flow
Air Flow Meter
Vane Air Flow

I mean they're all the same....Right?

Know what I'm sayin'?

No ragrets.

Jon, they all have Air and Flow in the acronym.........

Mass Air Flow
Air Flow Meter
Vane Air Flow

I mean they're all the same....Right?

Know what I'm sayin'?

No ragrets.
I just try to stick with what Toyota calls things. Less confusion for me when I'm looking things up.

FSM for 1992 does call it an AFM but the 1994 FSM calls the same device a VAF. The point being that the device is completely different from a MAF used in 1995 and up model years where a "hot wire" is used to meter air intake. There are spray products labeled "MAF Cleaner" that can be purchased to easily clean the exposed wire. That is not the case for a AFM/VAF.

DO NOT remove the screws that "look" like they hold the MAF, VAF, AFM or whatever in. I made that costly mistake on my 94 like an idiot. Unscrew the 4 bolts that hold it to the air cleaner and remove the clamp on the intake hose side, then clean as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom