Looking to Learn and For Some Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your right about being able to run 35s. they are only one inch taller than a 33. But people swear that the one inch better clearance under the diff makes a difference:hmm:. I have a 35 inch spare we could put on and check it out. And you may already have that lift. I think if you go with a auto locker in the rear you should also do it in the front. Just me, but I love being able to turn that thing off when bound up and/or backing off an obstacle(and sometimes I still break). Pittman arms and steering components can break if you really power up on the turning and your up against a rock or inmovable object when locked when crawling. Thats my 2 cents on front lockers.
If you don't make the Rubithon this year we can run Rubicon with you sometime. I didn't do it last year for the first time in 16 years. Was busted and wanted to take my time in fixing it:bang:. It was a bad year. No camping or campfire time.:cry:o_O:(

Excellent! Maybe I will just do an e-locker in the back for now and add the same locker to the front later on. Aside from the OEM locker in my F150 (which I have never used), I have no experience with them. Total Newb! However, Axle work will not happen for a couple months. I need to get the engine and electrical finished first.

I will actually end up with three full rims by the time I get ideal setup... well actually 3.5 sets. I have the 15" Eagle alloys on it now, which I plan to strip, prime, and raptor line as an experiment. I also have a set of 15s I got with the rolling chassis that I plan to strip and have powder coated, then I'll be buying the Raceline Rockcrusher wheels in a 16x9 config with the 35's mounted. I also have two crummy rims that came with the rolling chassis that I don't know what to do with yet. I plan to sell either the eagles or the rollers once I have had them refinished.

I will definitely take you up on the Rubicon trip once I get everything squared away and please let me know if you want some company on any other adventures even before I get the 40 squared away. I have my "Beater Bronco" that is suitable for mild trails and dirt roads.

I've been saying for a while that the club needs to have more get togethers besides the monthly meeting and the occasional club run...

We need to have some tech sessions or something!

Perhaps we can get some started!

Tech lesson #1:

It will cost 2x more than you think, there will be an unanticipated failure point in each upgrade and the Jeep guys will never understand the need to ship a $40 part from the UAE because that is the only one in any searchable inventory .

Tech lesson #1:

It will cost 2x more than you think, there will be an unanticipated failure point in each upgrade and the Jeep guys will never understand the need to ship a $40 part from the UAE because that is the only one in any searchable inventory .

Truth.

I'm currently VERY close to selling my freshly rebuilt 3FE/4speed for a 1HZ/H55. I just found a donor truck at Valley Hybrids... Tell me what kind of sense that makes!?

Truth.

I'm currently VERY close to selling my freshly rebuilt 3FE/4speed for a 1HZ/H55. I just found a donor truck at Valley Hybrids... Tell me what kind of sense that makes!?

I wish you could have gotten to the bottom of the issues with that 3FE, it is a beautiful build! I know you want to keep a lot of aspects Toyota, I share this concept at differing degrees of application, but have you considered putting on an aftermarket EFI to see if that corrects the issue? I just ordered my custom TBI and from all I've read it will be a great system. I don't know if one would work on a 3FE though, but if it would, it has to be cheaper than all the work that will go into the 1HZ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

$$$: I am already tossing around thoughts of what to do with the 78 frame... Thoughts of a custom 2UZ-FTE build or a full 1HD-FTE drivetrain shipped from Australia, are dancing in my head! I love diesel power in the 40's, but a big Toy V8 would be cool too! I read something recently where a guy got 414hp and something like 800lb/ft. out of a 1HD-FTE! I am not sure that is true, but even half those numbers (a third of the torque even) would make me quite happy. I want a turbo or supercharger to make high altitude wheeling easier, not so much for performance.

I wish you could have gotten to the bottom of the issues with that 3FE, it is a beautiful build! I know you want to keep a lot of aspects Toyota, I share this concept at differing degrees of application, but have you considered putting on an aftermarket EFI to see if that corrects the issue? I just ordered my custom TBI and from all I've read it will be a great system. I don't know if one would work on a 3FE though, but if it would, it has to be cheaper than all the work that will go into the 1HZ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

$$$: I am already tossing around thoughts of what to do with the 78 frame... Thoughts of a custom 2UZ-FTE build or a full 1HD-FTE drivetrain shipped from Australia, are dancing in my head! I love diesel power in the 40's, but a big Toy V8 would be cool too! I read something recently where a guy got 414hp and something like 800lb/ft. out of a 1HD-FTE! I am not sure that is true, but even half those numbers (a third of the torque even) would make me quite happy. I want a turbo or supercharger to make high altitude wheeling easier, not so much for performance.

At this point, it's not so much of an issue of not being able to figure out the glitch as it is just me wanting to cut bait. I am at the point where I'm having a hard time pursuing it any further because I wanted - and should have pursued - a diesel to begin with. I was anticipating a flawlessly running 3FE after the complete rebuild and just don't have much stomach to throw more time, money, and effort at a power plant I "settled" on several years ago. My truck (and the general scope of the project) have changed significantly since it's inception.

I'm just weighing my options and debating when I should cut my losses and go for what I really want - and should have done to begin with.

1HZ, H55, split case, FF HZJ70 rear axle, e-lockers... Mmmmmmmmmmm...

As nice as your cruiser is....just sell it and buy a new one. Starting over with a clean slate will let you appreciate the one you just sold a LOT more.

As nice as your cruiser is....just sell it and buy a new one. Starting over with a clean slate will let you appreciate the one you just sold a LOT more.

Spoken like a true objective and rational observer. ;)

Ray's been telling me the same thing. I'm too attached to let her go; at least for now.

Spoken like a true objective and rational observer. ;)

Ray's been telling me the same thing. I'm too attached to let her go; at least for now.

I suspected as much :) and I understand. Please let me know if you'd like an extra pair of hands when you are ready to get to work. I'll be happy to help!

@Tony_Farson I think you mentioned something about needing to outsource some work and I have a friend who works at Folebecks here in town and he actually says they are very slow right now. So if there is some quote or something you needed to outsource this might be a good time to try to get a quote and/or get some work done.

@Tony_Farson I think you mentioned something about needing to outsource some work and I have a friend who works at Folebecks here in town and he actually says they are very slow right now. So if there is some quote or something you needed to outsource this might be a good time to try to get a quote and/or get some work done.

Thanks! I'll try to get through to them again first week of April. I have called a few times, left messages, but never got a call back.

My immediate need will be for some welding. I got my steering box in today and am still waiting on the rest of the kit, but I need to have the box brackets welded to the frame. I am hoping to get someone from the club to do it so I can maybe help and learn some things during the process. However, I'll go to a shop if no one is available and I have heard good things about Folbeck.

Thanks again!

Tony, I found some photos of the paint I had mixed here in Reno for my truck. Fashion Green is on the far left.

1973 FJ40 restoration

Excellent, thank you! I had some mixed up too and really like the fashion green! I have had a desert tan in my mind for a long time, so trying to figure it out.

full

The cloth swatch is a waxed canvas I plan to use on the seat inners, center console cushion, and dash pads. I really like the fashion green (bottom right) and the desert tan next to it. I just got a sample of 1968 toyota sundune white (beige) too. I love the idea of using a genuine throwback color, so we shall see what happens!