Looking to borrow a TRE reamer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SMG

Threads
Looking to borrow a TRE reamer that will work with FJ80 tie Rod ends.

I am in the process of a Saginaw conversion and would like to use FJ80 Rod ends on both sides of the drag link.

Currently my pitman arm taper is smaller than the FJ80 taper.

IMG_5071.JPG

Anyone willing to loan their reamer will receive a FJ40 shift plate (custom or stock) along with a nice package of decals. I will pay for all shipping cost.

Thanks
Steve

I think I just found a tapered end mill that will work.

This fits my FJ80 steering arm really good so I think I'll give it a shot.

image.jpg

IMG_5072.JPG

I think I just found a tapered end mill that will work.

This fits my FJ80 steering arm really good so I think I'll give it a shot.

View attachment 1417308

View attachment 1417315
You can't use fj80 tre's as a drag link. They are only meant to be tre's not drag link ends. Their is a difference. Tre's don't have near as much flex. Drag link ends have more flex. Using a tre as a Dre will cause binding. A lot of people don't know this and find out later when it's all together.

You can't use fj80 tre's as a drag link. They are only meant to be tre's not drag link ends. Their is a difference. Tre's don't have near as much flex. Drag link ends have more flex. Using a tre as a Dre will cause binding. A lot of people don't know this and find out later when it's all together.

Interesting, good thing you caught me before I reamed it.

Does this only apply at the pitman arm?

Do FJ80's use a special TRE for their drag links?

Thanks
Steve

Interesting, good thing you caught me before I reamed it.

Does this only apply at the pitman arm?

Do FJ80's use a special TRE for their drag links?

Thanks
Steve
It applys to both ends of the drag link. If u flex a fj80 tre in your hands notice how little flex it gets. Yes Fj80s have different ends for the drag link. They have much more flex. You can also use fj60 drag link ends. I believe the threads are the same and the studs are the same but they are a little different in length. For my drag link I have a fj80 Dre at the pitman arm, and a fj60 Dre at the tie rod. The threads are different size as well then tre's. The drag link rod is smaller diameter compared to the tie rod. As far as the hole for the pitman arm I am 90% sure it's the same as the tre's but can't remember for use.

It applys to both ends of the drag link. If u flex a fj80 tre in your hands notice how little flex it gets. Yes Fj80s have different ends for the drag link. They have much more flex. You can also use fj60 drag link ends. I believe the threads are the same and the studs are the same but they are a little different in length. For my drag link I have a fj80 Dre at the pitman arm, and a fj60 Dre at the tie rod. The threads are different size as well then tre's. The drag link rod is smaller diameter compared to the tie rod. As far as the hole for the pitman arm I am 90% sure it's the same as the tre's but can't remember for use.

Thanks for your Knowledge, I'll hold off on reaming the pitman arm.

I'll give Kurt a call tomorrow and see if he's got them in stock.

Man, I feel like a total retard. I should have done my research on these drag link ends. I just assumed they were the same. You are correct, on the FJ80's the drag link ends are 21mm threads and tie rod ends are 23mm. However, I do believe the tapers are the same.
I will carefully measure them to make sure before I ream the pitman arm.
IMG_5073.JPG

Thanks for your help on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom