Wanted Looking for advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, I’ve been wanting an FJ for a few years now and am ready to buy. I am currently looking at the two below as well as the one recently posted in the forum here (‘73 5.7 TBI AZ) and would appreciate the forum’s perspective.

I am going to put money and time into whatever rig I go with as I plan on having/driving this for a long time. I would really love a ‘78 so leaning towards the one in Wy.

Any input is appreciated!

I like the 78 for around $15k, he probably has a garage full of extra parts

Hey Greg your inbox is full. If you get that black 78 I have a set of great condition period correct side doors that I would trade you for those. ( one piece window, side mirror holes 1977-later) PM me. Thank you!

Hey Greg your inbox is full. If you get that black 78 I have a set of great condition period correct side doors that I would trade you for those. ( one piece window, side mirror holes 1977-later) PM me. Thank you!
My in box on MUD is full? Not sure what Black 78 you’re talking about? I don’t recall even looking at a black truck but I look at a lot of em.
Greg

Ok guys, I have the ‘78 down to $14k. All original and has been in Wyoming for life. Seller has provided a lot of additional photos, title in hand. I am tempted to move on this, what are the groups thoughts?

I see the jumper cables are being kept handy.

I don't know how he can say original....... Sometimes I don't think the owners know what is original......

The 1973 FJ40 is something I would not touch either. Not trying to be negative here but how long have you been into landcruisers.

Jamie

I don't know how he can say original....... Sometimes I don't think the owners know what is original......

The 1973 FJ40 is something I would not touch either. Not trying to be negative here but how long have you been into landcruisers.

Jamie
This would be me first purchase. I’ve been ‘into them’ for a while but not looking to get hosed here. I’m clearly not an expert and 40’s are priced all over the map hence seeking advice. I can tell this one has some issues but have also seen them go for more. If y’all are able to pick these up for less let me know, I haven’t seen much for this price or lower.

I looked carefully at these photos. There's a long list of items to fix or correct and replace here. It's the not just the price you pay for the Cruiser because you're not done at this point. Look at the rear wheel tubs - flat metal. They have been totally replaced or covered up. The turn signals have been moved to the apron. Paint looks to be a rattle can special. Black everywhere. The truck has not been cared for. You will have way more work to do and money to spend.

I love the description:
"Clean (NOT) original condition (NOT) FJ40. Mileage is correct. (Absolutely NOT) Everything works as it should (That's a stretch) still fun to drive. Recent tuneup, brake work, new tires and shocks this year and new seals. I travel to Denver quite often, this could be delivered. This could be a daily driver, (with a liberal application of cash) or maybe you're looking for something to restore. (BINGO) Either way this is a great start. (Not really) Don't like my price? (NO) Make me an offer. (No thanks)"

This would be me first purchase. I’ve been ‘into them’ for a while but not looking to get hosed here. I’m clearly not an expert and 40’s are priced all over the map hence seeking advice. I can tell this one has some issues but have also seen them go for more. If y’all are able to pick these up for less let me know, I haven’t seen much for this price or lower.
From my (very low experience), my advise to you, go and look a few real truck for sale near you (not just on web picture). I see many "good" FJ40 on the picture, but reality is very very different. I have find very crappy one, it is require a tons of work (they all do). But I pay for it as for parts (and I ready for this), for 8-10K I will expect much better truck. Just be patient and listen all advise above. Good luck.

Listen to the knowledge here. Years of messing around with these teaches you a WHOLE lot. If you are impatient you will get screwed. There’s a lot of junk out there right now so be careful but you betrer be ready to pounce when a good one pops up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom