Looking For Advice!!! Looking at purchasing this 2013 LX570 but concerned about the rust on the underside. Is this superficial or a dealbreaker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum, and amazed with how much I have learned about the 200 series, especially the 570.

I'm a 2 time Tacoma owner (2010, currently 2019).

I'm looking at purchasing a 2013 LX 570. I test drove it today. The body and interior are in like new excellent condition, the only sign of aging is a slight cloudiness to the top of the headlights.

On the underside, there is some corrosion. This vehicle is in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. During winter months the city uses salt on the road for safety reasons. As the vehicle is 8 years old now, I expect some surface rust on the frame and underside and have no concerns with spending a weekend wirebrushing it and applying some rust paint to slow the process.

From these pictures, does this look like surface rust that could be mitigated, or should I be steering clear of the vehicle? Again, the body and interior are in excellent condition. The wheels don't have a blemish on them. The second (current) owner's residence is immaculate too, as is his garage so I feel that he has taken care with it.

TIA guys and gals...I appreciate your input! :)
20200924_135732.jpg
20200924_135811.jpg
20200924_135818.jpg
20200924_135844.jpg
20200924_135934.jpg

One vote for finding a different vehicle. However aren’t most used vehicles of that age going to have rust like that in Canada? If that’s the case and you want to spend the time wire brushing it and trying to fix it then I’d say go for it. I’m not sure I’d be dedicated enough to want to tackle that.

As someone who just bought a 2014 that started it's life in Alberta and went to live in Winnipeg for a couple years... unless you're willing to wait for the right one to show up in the lower mainland (and deal with all that entails), what you've got there is fine. My 2014 has similar corrosion. I looked very serious at a couple of good 08/09's... they were far worse underneath.

@eatSleepWoof has a great few posts on rustproofing I intend to follow before the season changes here.

One vote for finding a different vehicle. However aren’t most used vehicles of that age going to have rust like that in Canada? If that’s the case and you want to spend the time wire brushing it and trying to fix it then I’d say go for it. I’m not sure I’d be dedicated enough to want to tackle that.

Lol, chances of OP finding a better looking underside on a 2008-2015 LX in Canada are extremely slim to none. Lexus Canada sells like 100 LXs a year. Alberta is considered "pretty good" for corrosion-wise as basically anywhere east of that is the salt belt. The majority of LXs are sold Calgary, Montreal, and Toronto. Montreal and Toronto are places that will scare you corrosion-wise. And then theres the Maritimes where its a big no-no.

Only chances of OP getting a better LX in Canada is from Vancouver where 2013-15 rarely pop up for sale ever. Theres always USA but currency exchange + taxes + duty + $4000 gas guzzler fee makes US LXs an expensive endeavour.

Looks real good for Canada.

For where you are located, that's not bad at all. You can definitely treat that.

It’s definitely better than the rust that was on my 2008 LX. The worst of the rust was behind the rear wheels - tow-hitch, tailgate area, beneath the rear bumper tupperware - I would check that area well.

It’s definitely better than the rust that was on my 2008 LX. The worst of the rust was behind the rear wheels - tow-hitch, tailgate area, beneath the rear bumper tupperware - I would check that area well.

Lower the spare to see if the hoist works.

But I don't think it looks that bad. Easily treatable with wire brush/wheel and rust converter, then douse it with Fluid Film/Krown/woolwax.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm definitely on the fence. It's strange because the body is immaculate. No bubbling or any indication in the wheel wells or areas that have seams. It does look superficial for the most part, but in picture 4 it appears like the AHC line (i think that's what it is) appears to be corroding where the bracket is supporting it. that is an area that the AHC thread does talk about inspecting for rust. I'll sit on it for a few more days and see how I feel. I would to pay a bit more for a cleaner one but after hearing these comments maybe there won't be a cleaner one.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm definitely on the fence. It's strange because the body is immaculate. No bubbling or any indication in the wheel wells or areas that have seams. It does look superficial for the most part, but in picture 4 it appears like the AHC line (i think that's what it is) appears to be corroding where the bracket is supporting it. that is an area that the AHC thread does talk about inspecting for rust. I'll sit on it for a few more days and see how I feel. I would to pay a bit more for a cleaner one but after hearing these comments maybe there won't be a cleaner one.
Nah pretty sure that's the hand brake cable. AHC lines are up on top of frame rail under the body.

not too bad, they are all gonna rust after time. Buy it, enjoy it. It will not rust through. I Had a couple of 100's in Michigan and rust was worse. lasted 12 years, after which time I sold them. never any issues.
If you like the truck and like the truck, pull the trigger. my 0.02

I’m in. It’s not bad at all.

There are def cleaner ones even in your area. Depends how much time and money you want to spend.

Thanks Bawa. I did try to look under the rear quarters but there seemed to be plastic covers underneath so visibility was non existent. The wheel wells looked great. Can you see those areas on your LX from the underside?

Thanks Bawa. I did try to look under the rear quarters but there seemed to be plastic covers underneath so visibility was non existent. The wheel wells looked great. Can you see those areas on your LX from the underside?

If you crawl underneath from the rear of the vehicle with a flashlight you can see in there. Helps if the AHC is in High - better still if the spare tire is removed. After 12 Canadian winters and 320,000kms, the body of my 08 was immaculate - the frame/underneath was a very different story. I bought CPO, 4 years old and diligently took it to Krown for rustproofing every year. I finally traded it in for a 2018 in Feb as the rear a/c and AHC lines/pump needed replacement, and I was done trying to keep up with the rust.

If you crawl underneath from the rear of the vehicle with a flashlight you can see in there. Helps if the AHC is in High - better still if the spare tire is removed. After 12 Canadian winters and 320,000kms, the body of my 08 was immaculate - the frame/underneath was a very different story. I bought CPO, 4 years old and diligently took it to Krown for rustproofing every year. I finally traded it in for a 2018 in Feb as the rear a/c and AHC lines/pump needed replacement, and I was done trying to keep up with the rust.
Yeah, that's very similar to what I see on this one. Did you get a price on the replacement of the AC and AHC lines/pump? I realize that there will be some maintenance with an 8 year old vehicle. The other concern is that the closest Lexus dealer is 2.5 hours away. The local Toyota dealer said they can do Lexus work but they won't have any experience with the LX so I'm not sure I even trust them for it. Seems like I'm kinda talking myself out of this anyway. I might try and find a cleaner one.

For a 7 year old vehicle in Alberta... that's pristine.

In all seriousness, it's a bit more rust than I would like, but I don't see anything outrageous. Remediate and enjoy the truck. I'd be more concerned about any potential rust on the body.

I have the same question, but for a 2018 LC200 with less than 20k miles. It's from a Toyota dealership in NYC, so has likely seen a decent amount of salted roads. Price feels at, or slightly above average ($71.5k), so I'd expect a pristine rig. Would love as much critical feedback as possible!

IMG_3469-preview.JPG

IMG_3474-preview.JPG
IMG_3467-preview.JPG
IMG_3465-preview.JPG
IMG_3464-preview.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom