Looking for a mild lift for my 19 GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. Just bought my 19 last month and trying to get info on a lift. Not looking for anything higher than 1.5 inch. I noticed DobinsonsDirect has a set of front springs that are 1.5 inches and rear of 1 inch. Thats exactly what I'm looking to do. I currently have 265 65 BFG KO2s and probably wont go much larger than that. If I got a flat I can barely lift those! My plans are to get a rack from Gamiviti for mounting an awning and a set of Metaltech sliders. I also will use it to tow my Casita trailer so dont want to get crazy with lift height. Anyone used these springs? Here's a link to part numbers

Front Springs: C59-300 - V8 - 1.5" Lift, Stock front end load Front KDSS parts: DOBINSONS 1/4" ALLOY STRUT TOP MOUNT SPACER(PS59-4030) Front Shocks: GS59-700 Gas Strut Shock suits 0-2.5" lift Rear Springs : C59-599 - 0.75" to 1.0" lift, Stock rear end Rear Shocks: GS59-705 - Twin Tube, suits 0-2.5" lift Optional Install Parts: SC59-001 - Pair Front Strut Caps Front Optional Assembly: Front Pair Strut Assembly (requires cap purchase) Rear Op

Do you a local off road shop that works on Toyota's (preferably only Toyota's)?
If so, they may also be able to lead you in the right direction.
When I had the work done on my rig, I new what I wanted, but the guys at YotaMasters helped me tune my setup so it was perfect.
As the name implies, YotaMasters is an only Toyota shop, and thus very knowledgeable.

I love my lift from dobinsons. Purchased from exit off road. Mike over there will set you up well. He helped me dial in exactly what I wanted and the results were excellent.

It’s hard to find a competent shop around here. The off road specific shops were close minded to my needs and overpriced.

Second what @r2m said in that you want a shop that’s got experience with lifted vehicles (not sure it would be a Toyota specific shop just Bc we don’t really have any in town). I found a good shop for my Tundra lift install (did the GX in my garage) through Napa. Asked them if there was anyone around they would trust with this kind of work. It worked out and they recommended a local tire/muffler/suspension shop who were nice, knowledgeable, and experienced with lifting vehicles. Smart enough guys to adapt the knowledge they had to my setup.

Just got my Gamiviti rack on, we must be on a similar wavelength.

This was my order list FYI. Ride is comfortable and controlled. Has good rake for when you load that Gamiviti up!
D750B0D6-C1FD-4798-8ABC-5696EA88C201.jpeg

503B5623-BB0E-4D92-81AB-F86D4D8DF8AB.jpeg

Last edited:
I love my lift from dobinsons. Purchased from exit off road. Mike over there will set you up well. He helped me dial in exactly what I wanted and the results were excellent.

It’s hard to find a competent shop around here. The off road specific shops were close minded to my needs and overpriced.

Second what @r2m said in that you want a shop that’s got experience with lifted vehicles (not sure it would be a Toyota specific shop just Bc we don’t really have any in town). I found a good shop for my Tundra lift install (did the GX in my garage) through Napa. Asked them if there was anyone around they would trust with this kind of work. It worked out and they recommended a local tire/muffler/suspension shop who were nice, knowledgeable, and experienced with lifting vehicles. Smart enough guys to adapt the knowledge they had to my setup.

Just got my Gamiviti rack on, we must be on a similar wavelength.

This was my order list FYI. Ride is comfortable and controlled. Has good rake for when you load that Gamiviti up!
View attachment 2796879
View attachment 2796881
How is the ride compared to stock? Closely eyeing this lift too and haven't found many reviews comparing stock ride to Dobinsons IMS. I don't mind stiffer if it can soak up the roads in MI, my last vehicle was fairly stiff but the rear end bounced a lot. Trying to avoid a lot of that this go around with some p-metric tires over LT + better suspension pairing.

How is the ride compared to stock? Closely eyeing this lift too and haven't found many reviews comparing stock ride to Dobinsons IMS. I don't mind stiffer if it can soak up the roads in MI, my last vehicle was fairly stiff but the rear end bounced a lot. Trying to avoid a lot of that this go around with some p-metric tires over LT + better suspension pairing.

Mind I didn’t get a lot of time on the stock suspension and I’m coming from a rough AF tundra suspension that I didn’t hate (Bc it was purposeful) with this review.

I have c rated toyo at tires. Which I think are a perfect balance for this vehicle.

Ride is exactly what I hoped. Better rebound control, less body roll/lean, nice ride on mid speed off road bumps. I don’t slow for speed humps or RR crossings very much anymore. I mostly do lower speed off roading and forest roads and it handles this with aplomb. The rougher paved roads in my area MAY have a little more harshness than stock(could totally be down to tires). It really isn’t bad and I don’t notice the harshness day to day. Overall I’d say it’s a much improved suspension over stock. I could never go back.

@skey44 , Thanks for posting your parts list. Truck looks great. How much lift is that? I can do the install work myself so dont really need a shop to do anything other than an alignment if needed. I'll check out Exit offroads website in a bit. Thanks for the info.

@skey44 , Thanks for posting your parts list. Truck looks great. How much lift is that? I can do the install work myself so dont really need a shop to do anything other than an alignment if needed. I'll check out Exit offroads website in a bit. Thanks for the info.
Thanks! I failed to measure everything correctly before and after, but my guess would be right around a 2” lift.

I have the dobinsons 1.5”/1”. Rides nice. Front only ended up being about 1” of lift. If I did it again I would go 2”/1”.

I put coil rite bags in too, so wont lose rake with a load, so long as I pump the bags up. I deleted the compressor system entirely.

I have the dobinsons 1.5”/1”. Rides nice. Front only ended up being about 1” of lift. If I did it again I would go 2”/1”.

I put coil rite bags in too, so wont lose rake with a load, so long as I pump the bags up. I deleted the compressor system entirely.
Do you have pics of your truck?

Also, what part number for the rear springs did you go with?

Also, what part number for the rear springs did you go with?
I don't recall. They were the 1" lift "comfort" springs. Ordered from Dobinsons Direct, had them in about 4 days. Fronts were the 1.5" "comfort". I didn't want a huge lift.

For the rear I used the Icon lower coil isolator, and the Energy Suspension top. Had to cut about 11/4" off of the top isolators to get the Coil Rites to fit in there. The Icon lower isolator bolt was a little too long, it contacts the axle housing before it tightens the "puck" down.

Just made the purchase from Exit off road. I bought the 505 springs for the rear instead of the 599. I'll let you guys know when I get started on it and maybe post a few pics. Also ordered a set of OPOR sliders from Metaltech. They should be here next week as well.

A little update. I received the Dobinsons springs and shocks yesterday! Got most of it done. Still need to reattach the rear sway bar. The install was fairly straightforward watching the ironman video. The right front fought me quite a bit. The left front I had done in ten minutes! The rear also didn't go as the video showed. I had to use my spring compressor tools to get the spring in. I'll report back when I get it on the ground. Also received my next project! Metaltech sliders!

IMG_20211011_165312546.jpg

IMG_20211012_114207345_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211012_114228573.jpg

Well. Just got it on the ground and it looks perfect! Gonna take it for a short drive in a bit. Will need to get it aligned. Has just a slight positive camber from my eye.

IMG_20211012_143814955_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211012_143823550_HDR.jpg

Time for wheels and tires!! :bounce::bounce2::bounce2::bounce::clap::clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom