Longfields and Asian hubs (1 Viewer)

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
Joined
May 16, 2005
Messages
7,158
Location
Forest Grove, OR
 
 
 
Okay, I figured that I would post a new thread so the info didn't get lost in the shuffle. I'm planning on running Slee's part-time kit to save wear and tear on my Longfields. The problem I found was that Bobby Long doesn't warrenty his Longs if you use any other hub than an Asian with his cromo hub gear. As it's been documented before, you need to run a .23" spacer between the snap ring and the hub gear to make the birfield sit correctly in the axle. (This spacer comes with the part-time kit Slee sales.) The problem is Asian hubs are too shallow and the snap ring will interfere with the hub housing. I spoke with Bobby today and he said it will not void warrenty or cause any problems to cut another snap ring groove in the splines .23" closer to the bell. I also suggested that he add that second snap ring groove on his 80 Longfields, so we will see if that ends up happening. For now, however, just cut a new groove and rest assured it will not void Bobby's warrenty for breakage!

Thanks for the help getting all this sorted, Bobby! You are a God among toyota-heads... :cheers:
 

TOY350

#1 Super Guy
SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 20, 2004
Messages
3,538
Location
Grants Pass, OR
 
 
 
I really contemplated the part time kit because of my Long's too. Well now I have just under 12K on them and they are as loud as hell! Unfortunately I don't know what the loud to breaking factor is, I'm assuming the louder they get the sooner or easier they will break :meh:
 

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
Joined
May 16, 2005
Messages
7,158
Location
Forest Grove, OR
 
 
 
That would be my assumption too... It never mattered to me before as my 80 spent 90% of it's time on dirt and the other 10% getting there, but it will be taking over as daily driver status in about a year. Time for me to start fixing all the little things to make it a driver again.
 

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
SILVER Star
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
23,554
Location
Panamá
 
 
 
should be posible that Boby make a birf for part time cruiers .. ya I know we are the less .. but we count ?
 

alia176

SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 21, 2003
Messages
12,697
Location
Tijeras, NM
 
 
 
that is good news indeed. If Bobby can include the second snap ring groove then that's the best of both worlds!

Very nice.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom