Long time 3rd Gen 4runner owner, buying first LC/LX. 100 vs 200 debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says, I've owned plenty of 3rd gen 4runners and I'm ready to step into a LC or an LX. I want to stay under 150K miles and I have it narrowed down to a 2006 Land Cruiser with 137K for $25K or a 2015 LX with 120K for $36K. Both vehicles are single family, clean history with a full maintenance record at the dealership, no rust excellent condition. I plan on keeping the vehicle in the Seattle area and using it mostly as a weekend warrior rig with the family for road trips, and maybe the occasional weekday errand. Thinking about maintenance, resale value in the future, and driving enjoyment, most of which will probably be highway and not used as an off-road rig (but it will be nice to have the option) I'm interested to hear thoughts. I know this topic has been covered more than once. One last thing, $36K for the LX seems like a good price. Does $25K for a 2006 Land Cruiser with 137K miles seem steep, even if it's been well maintained at the dealer?

Thanks for any input!

Also of note, the 2015 LX spent most of it's life in Maryland. It is currently in the PNW and upon crawling underneath seems to have a clean, rust free undercarriage. If it is rust free now, would you worry that it spent it's life on the east coast? The 06 Land Cruiser is clean underneath and is a life-long PNW vehicle.

i don’t think you can go wrong with either. Take both for a test drive and see which sparks more joy for you.

I think the 2uz sounds better and I like the 5sp transmission. But you might like the interior creature comforts of the LX.

If the frame and fasteners look good now, I wouldn’t worry too much about the history. You could bring a bottle jack and take off one of the wheels and see how corroded the fasteners are, the back of the wheel, the dust shield to make sure there’s not been a cosmetic cover up of rust on the frame.

Cheers

Also, this black “H” shaped skid seems to be a canary in the coal mine. Give it a check if you’re concerned.
1695988815043.png

Honestly, that's a tough call.
I personally felt my 100 series had more soul, and I liked the visibility a little better. The 5.7L V8 is a little cheaper on maintenance (no timing belt) and has noticeably more power. Either would be great.

If you can, drive both and pick what you like more. Either will give you years of service and should see 300k miles with good maintenance.

Honestly, if I ran across a late model 100 with good records and low miles in the $25k range, I might even think of taking a step "backwards" from my 2008 200 with 273k miles. But that all comes down to personal preferences.

The fact that the going rate for a clean 100 is 25k is the reason I own a 200. I get that's what people are paying for them, but 08-11 LX sell in the 20-30 range all day. I wouldn't' be able to reconcile paying the same for a 100 vs a 2-5 year newer by actual age and a decade by design 200 series.

Many of us own 100s and 200s together. Both are great rigs. 06-07 100 are special and command more premium.

Having said that if you are doing lots of highway with fam, as you said, to me 200 is the hands down winner.

Good luck.

Good points all around and I agree.

I upgraded from an '06 LX470 to my current '09 LX570. '06 is still in the family with my brother and is a fine rig.

In many ways, they work much the same and I've equally enjoyed them. The major reason I moved to the 200-series is the added power and capacities to tow and haul more. I've towed 6500lbs with the 100-series and it does the job okay, but a more reasonable limit is 5k lbs. The 200-series tows 8k superbly. I also drive aggressively when not towing and really appreciate the added power of the 5.7L.

1696003432004.png

I love the 100 series but the 200 is a big step forward in terms of creature comforts and power. And it's a 9 year newer vehicle. Assuming they are both in your price range I personally would go for the 200 without hesitation. You are of course asking this question on the 200 board so I might be biased.

Like the title says, I've owned plenty of 3rd gen 4runners and I'm ready to step into a LC or an LX. I want to stay under 150K miles and I have it narrowed down to a 2006 Land Cruiser with 137K for $25K or a 2015 LX with 120K for $36K. Both vehicles are single family, clean history with a full maintenance record at the dealership, no rust excellent condition. I plan on keeping the vehicle in the Seattle area and using it mostly as a weekend warrior rig with the family for road trips, and maybe the occasional weekday errand. Thinking about maintenance, resale value in the future, and driving enjoyment, most of which will probably be highway and not used as an off-road rig (but it will be nice to have the option) I'm interested to hear thoughts. I know this topic has been covered more than once. One last thing, $36K for the LX seems like a good price. Does $25K for a 2006 Land Cruiser with 137K miles seem steep, even if it's been well maintained at the dealer?

Thanks for any input!

OP I’m in Seattle area if you want to crawl around a built 570

Also, this black “H” shaped skid seems to be a canary in the coal mine. Give it a check if you’re concerned. View attachment 3442806
Thanks for this tip. Do you mean that the backside of the H skid plate shows rust itself or that it conceals rust behind it. I'm looking for a 200 Series, so I appreciate the tip. Cheers.

200. I won both and have logged 100k miles on my 98.

The LX is an amazing family hauler- push button start is worth it alone

Also, this black “H” shaped skid seems to be a canary in the coal mine. Give it a check if you’re concerned.

I have not been able to test drive the 06 Land Cruiser yet. Just pictures, dealership history and talking with the owner. Trying to do as much investigation as possible before I make the longish trip to look at it. Unfortunately, the owner gets back Sunday for us to FaceTime the vehicle, but for now I only have this low res pic to show. Is this the H plate you are talking about and should I be concerned with the plate itself rusting, or what's behind it (probably both). I guess I'm asking if I should take it off to have a look. And the 06 has had its timing belt, water pump, CV boots, brakes, AHC and all fluids done replaced and checked.

Someone mentioned the soul of the 100 series, that's why I drive 3rd Gen 4runners.

thumbnail.jpg

I just realized your picture is probably of a 200 series. The 2015 LX I'm looking at is really clean underneath. Here are a few more of the lower res pics I have of the 06, the underside seems clean. Is there anything that stands out from these?

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

Toyota calls the H-shaped part an "oil pan protector" 2008-2021 Toyota Land Cruiser Protector 51440-60080 | Toyota Parts Center - https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-protector-5144060080?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9c3BsYXNoLXNoaWVsZHMmbD02Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9dG95b3RhJm89bGFuZC1jcnVpc2VyJnk9MjAyMSZ0PWhlcml0YWdlLWVkaXRpb24mZT01LTdsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

A few folks have posted pictures of these rotted completely through. If the 200 you're looking at has this piece and it doesn't look like it came off the Titanic, that's a good start.

The five photos posted above look good to me for that mileage. Those touches of rust on the CV and flange on the rear axle don't bother me. But, these are also the smallest undercarriage photos possible...

I agree with the 100 having more soul but the power of the 5.7 is intoxicating……

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom