• Purchased truck without OEM lockers

Votes: 46 25.0%
  • Purchased truck without OEM lockers, installed ARBs

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Purchased without lockers, staying open

Votes: 14 7.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 97 CE came with factory lockers, at the time of purchase didn't really know to look for them, but after reading the forum, I realize I got lucky. They were a little hard to engage at first, now they lock right up.

Bought it new without lockers. Never had a need for lockers. Don't go rock crawling, so not sure why I would need lockers.

From reading the list of posts above, I've concluded that owning a rig with lockers means you will end up spending much more on sliders, bumpers, and other accessories that may or may not be used. Thus, lockers are an expensive option that I don't need. :D

Happy not to have lockers. :cool:

Lockers are a big reason I got a land cruiser....however, I had a 77 before without them. I knew I would put ARB's if I didn't buy it with lockers so it saved me 3000 to put towards the sliders and rear bumper or lift that you speak of that i will use!!!

Very surprizing the number of factory locked rigs . It was tuff to find a locked rig when I was lookin

that's because the enthusiasts have been searching like mad for them and buying them up!!!

I preferred one with a OEM lockers but didn't see one I liked so I settled for one without. It wasn't essential to me because no 4wd vehicle I ever bought was ever "done" and there are great after market lockers available for it. Besides, I would be in there changing gears anyway.....for the new tires.....to go with the lift....to take the weight of the new front and rear bumpers.....and sliders........and winch

Locker question

I purchased my 1997 40th Anniversary Edition used, (1 previous owner) without the OEM lockers. My question is, how do the ARB air lockers compare in performance to the OEM electronic lockers?? Are they equivalent? Are they as reliable?, Do they require more or less maintenance? Would it make more sense to swap out my axles for axles with the OEM locker set up?? I've read through many of the posts, but I did not see any real direct performance comparison of the OEM vs ARB lockers. Thanks for any input.

As so many others have stated I skipped anything without lockers. Did not even look no matter what the advertised price or advertised condition cause I knew I'd fall in love and then have to add them later anyways.

Mr. "C" said:
I purchased my 1997 40th Anniversary Edition used, (1 previous owner) without the OEM lockers. My question is, how do the ARB air lockers compare in performance to the OEM electronic lockers?? Are they equivalent? Are they as reliable?, Do they require more or less maintenance? Would it make more sense to swap out my axles for axles with the OEM locker set up?? I've read through many of the posts, but I did not see any real direct performance comparison of the OEM vs ARB lockers. Thanks for any input.

all of your questions are points of debate here. You can't truelly compare OEM lockers to ARBs, mostly because its a matter of preference. I just added front and rear arbs to my cruiser, and in comparison to a locked cruiser my ARBs engaged faster, and peform smoother. But if I could do it over again I would have gotten a locked rig instead, less hassle, less money spent, and they are OEM. Oh well maybe the next cruiser I get.

clarkrw3 said:
that's because the enthusiasts have been searching like mad for them and buying them up!!!

And we have shot ourselves in the foot. Once upon a time, eBayers wouldn't know what the hell they were. Now, every doctor, jet engine mechanic and housewife selling an 80 on eBay has the works LOCKERS in bold print in the auction text, holding out for more $$.

Oh well, I got mine.

For most users, lockers are something to tout whilst "bench-wheeling" (a descendant of "bench-racing")....:flipoff2:

Mine came without and I drove it for several years before I decided I "needed" them. Sine adding them I have gone places that I never would have even attempted in the past, so to a degree they become "false courage".

Bought mine without in 2000. At the time, every unit for sale around here that had lockers was pretty high mileage and in sad condition with clicking birfs, strange engine noises etc.

Finally sucked it up and drove a couple hundred miles to look at the one I eventually bought, was in perfect condition, decently low miles, but no lockers.... so I just went ahead and bought it anyway, thinking I'd start with a better foundation and build it up, rather than buying something kinda sketch with lockers.

In the meantime, CDL and brake modulation have gotten me where I need to go. Might go with ARBs one day, but I've had plenty of fun without them.

OEM lockers and pristine loaded 40th Anniversary were top of the list, mileage was secondary. :princess: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom