Locked It Up!!!! What Now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That really sucks dude. I always considered the truck itself as the expendable part of the system. If you can't turn around fixing the stock setup you will burn most of the good summer wheeling days trying to debug a swap, even well planned ones. I'd yank the tires, wheels, diff drop and whatever the hell you want and sell the rest. Then you can buy a near year pickup with a 22 or whatever you want and bolt all the s*** back on.

Stripping it to put everything on another truck is a lot of work but a swap is a buttload of work (fixing the stock doesn't sound fun either). I grow attached to machines, not a pleasant idea but an effective solution to return to the woods quickly. :D

what do you mean by rat maze?

Air cleaner and intake hoses

......:hmm: I haven't put a flow meter on it but I'd say its a little inefficient

yeah but dont you need those crazy little boxes?

I just bought a 3.slow pickup. I have always hated them to death but this one has Downey headers, Gibson catback exhaust, and a K&N. Night and day difference and it actually powers it pretty well, even up here at 7000 feet... I am quite surprized personally...

i will probably do the headers later. i definatelly dont have the money for them now.

Did you price a long block to replace yours? in terms of time/money/effort/ etc... maybe the best option. I ran a 3.0 for a couple years and there is nothing wrong with the engine if maintained other than the HG issue if it falls under those years... called any junkyards for a low mileage replacement?

otherwise, I'd yank the driveline and go 4.3 TBI chevy, GM auto, adapter to gear driven minitruck t-case and be done with it for a long time. Stand alone 4.3 harness or a stock harness cut down are not that expensive and the 4.3 is known to go over 300K milies (seen it personally) and has good power...

Last edited:
Gotcha a Jasper quote:

The Price Is: $3512.00
Core Deposit For This Unit Is: $750.00
Skid Deposit For This Unit Is: $15.00
Sold On An Exchange Basis w/Jasper Receiving Old Unit As A Core.

So in effect, a new long block once you return the core is 2762$.... total project time would be minimal compared to a swap along with less 'hidden costs' of a swap.... just some things to consider. Just because an engine has a popular nickname (3.slow) should not rule out it as an option. A FI V6 with good torque is a good option IMHO:popcorn:

wow thats a little expensive. the 3.0 really doesn't have much torque though. and i want better gas mileage!

how much is the 4.3? and all the adapters? probably more than i can spend right now

the website would not allow me to. it kept saying page could not be displayed.

Ala 2001 FREE catalog :rolleyes:

71256 TOY TRK R150/R151F x GM V6 & V8 $450

716425 TOY IFS 4.3 OIL PAN :doh: $273.20

Yer on yer own with the motor mounts and conversion clutch and fly wheel

.....too lazy and pulling an engine today.....

hey guys i have a HUGE! problem. my 3vze 3.slow has locked up on me. and i really dont wanna put another SLOW in it again. is there any engine that will mate up to my transmission that actually has power and isnt really expensive?????

after reading all this, I think your best bet is to go to the junk yard get a 3.slow and replace the head gaskets, timeing belt, have injectors cleaned.
put it in and live with it.
I am not sure if there are any cheap upgrades, chips ect that you could try for more power.

but you would have all the spare sensors from your motor.

but for a budget, and time, it would seem like the best idea to me.
just my .02 worth.

i will probably do the headers later. i definatelly dont have the money for them now.

ok, I was going to try this the next time in place of headers. Cheap too. I thought about taking the stock,, (I have 22re's) exhaust manifold, put an old spark plug in the O2 sensor hole (if it fits) and have them sand blast the inside of them.
take out the bumps and the slag lines. but this would leave little pits,, my hope is that they would work the same way as the pits on a golf ball.. just enough to hold some air and smooth the way for the rest of the flow.
I wish that I had a buddy with a dyno. because I really think that this will work.

Gotcha a Jasper quote:

The Price Is: $3512.00
Core Deposit For This Unit Is: $750.00
Skid Deposit For This Unit Is: $15.00
Sold On An Exchange Basis w/Jasper Receiving Old Unit As A Core.

So in effect, a new long block once you return the core is 2762$.... total project time would be minimal compared to a swap along with less 'hidden costs' of a swap.... just some things to consider. Just because an engine has a popular nickname (3.slow) should not rule out it as an option. A FI V6 with good torque is a good option IMHO:popcorn:

he has no core, holes in the block,,, not a rebuildable core. that is a no go.

how much is your dad willing to pay? what do you want?
if money is not so much of an issue then I would go......
ford 302, fuel injected, with a ford T5 transmission. then an adaptor to the gear driven transfer cases.. from the 85's.
dual cases or just one with the 4.7 gears in it.

but that will break almost every thing toyota with the exception of the longs 30 splines and maybe the rear axles..
it will strip the teeth right off of a stock toyota ring gear.. I am on my third set with a 22re.

so slow and steady or fast and broke...
sorry for so many replies, but each one addresses a different issue with out it not making any sence at all..

Here are some options/pricing from Downey:

EngineConversionChart.gif

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom