LJ78 alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, this evening found my alternator isn't charging. After a bit of research it is only 55amp. I've got a winch and lights ect and think this might be a bit much for it.

Does anyone know of a higher amp version or a hi amp alternator that can be retrofitted?

My alternator looks to have an oval plug and I think it is self regulating as I can't find a regular like on my old LJ70.

I don't know about England, but in the States here I always search for a shop that only works on alternators, starters and generators.

Not the advice you seek but that's all I've got.

Is it this alternator?
Toyota 27060-54030

According to toyodiy that's my part number.

I will take it off and it will go to the local alternator place for a refurb but as they aren't very common I have not found anyone that knows enough about them to help on up graded.

Thanks
Ash

The auto-electrical shop may be able to look, measure and suggest an higher output model.
Hopefully the person you talk to will be old with experience.

Is it a Denso unit? Manufacturer's label on it?

I had the same problem with my LJ89. I purchased a 1991 Toyota corolla alternator, and swap its insides into mine. Worked perfectly. i got all the info off these forums.

Does yours have the vacuum pump?
There is some OEM alternators off Hilux that have 60 or 70 amp 27060-54340. There are also aftermarket ones on Australian Ebay with 80 amp output.
If your 55amp alternator was working ok,it should be plenty unless you are winching everyday.
A bigger battery could also store more power.

In the earlier models in the 80s and 90s they used the Bosch type. With the 5L they used the Denso type, but this is very model and market specific.

Who does all the auto electrical work in the UK? I have 6-7 of them within 3klms plus mobile units that come to you.

Hi thanks for the replies. after I removed the alternator I have found it actually has 27060-55170 fitted which I believe is a 70 or 80 amp unit.
I have sent it to the local auto electrical chap. He cant recommend any up grades but has the parts to repair it in stock so I'm hoping it will now have enough power.

Thanks
Ash

I couldn't find anything listed with that part number in the parts list or on Google

That alternator part# comes up for the Toyota Mark2/Chaser/Cresta/Crown that came with the 2LTE engine. Looks to be a 70 Amp unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom