Lit up like a Christmas tree (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CSteppe82

Legalize Cannabis
SILVER Star
Threads
I backed into a utility pole a few weeks ago at my new place. Dented rear DS bumper and cracked tail light. I took it to a body shop who I have used before. I decided to upgrade to Dobinsons rear bumper. Body shop did the install. They called me today and said I could come get it. I jump in and start it and just about every light on the dash came on ??? The body shop is saying that it could be from them wiring the lights that came with the dobinsons bumper into the factory lights ?? They are keeping it overnight and going to disconnect the lights in the AM and see if that makes a difference ?? Anyone else had this problem ? Could it be from them wiring in the new lights ?

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

I don't know what it could be?? The body shop seems confident it's the wiring, but I am not feeling it. I'll post pics in a few . I was worried I wouldn't like the way it looked.

I opted not to install jerry can holder or spare tire carrier

IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

I think the diamond plate would look better black ??

Body shop is saying it could be from where they wired in new reverse lights and new tail lights that came with dobinsons bumper

I guess they spliced in ?

If its just a clich disconnect the Negative cable on the battery and that may clear your codes. Simple fix first. Hope thats all it is

body shop just called and said it's the ABS sensor wiring harness ?? What do y'all think ?

he left the battery unhooked overnight and the lights are still on after he reconnected battery

based on the lights on the dash, ABS, PCS, VSC...ABS wire would seem to make sense. If they accidentally clipped/stretched it during the bumper install, they should replace it.
should be an easy fix. It is worth the $30-50 to get an OBD II code reader, just so you will know when things pop up. One fault typically initiates the VSC Christmas tree.

He said the wires were very "brittle". They are fixing it. I hope that's all it is.

Which wheel sensor wiring did they hose? I messed up mine while doing my CVs. New abs wiring harness isn't cheap.

I'm not sure. I'll find out Monday.

What does that wiring harness cost ?

I'm not sure. I'll find out Monday.

What does that wiring harness cost ?

For the front sensors the wiring harness is either $92 or $106 depending on which side. Which is kind of silly for a three foot harness consisting of two wire leads.

The sensor itself is $162 each.

I just patched mine together, cutting out the damaged portion and soldering in some extra wire. So far so good. But if the shop was the one who messed up the harness they should replace it with a new one.

Check the FSM; the old ones insist that when a wheel position sensor is replaced, you replace the harness pigtail with it. I'm pretty sure it's just an overabundance of caution, assuming that if one failed the other is likely ragged too.

What year is your truck? Doesn't seem likely that your harness wiring is "stiff", considering you're in AL and I have one 2008 and three 80s (one CA, one SD via WI and one NC) with very flexible wiring.

I have had (a Toyota) bodyshop remove my rear bumper and had a good look at it and the skeleton while it was off; there's just not that much in that area. I have trouble believing the damage resulted in removal/installation. Add to that, the harness pigtail from the wheels go forward, not backward to the bumper; I'd dig into it a little more.

I've heard some other people complain that swapping incandescent bulbs for LEDs can sometimes trigger a bunch of similar lights occasionally, due to a change in resistance in the wire (I think). It could certainly be an ABS speed sensor wire, if the shop cut the wrong wire or removed the rear shocks and tried to drop the suspension in order to install the bumper (not sure the install for the Dobinsons bumper but maybe they needed better access to some bolts?) but personally I would disconnect any new wiring first and then disconnect the negative battery cable to see if the problem clears up.

Did you check if the brake lights are functioning? A few weeks ago I replaced the tail lights on my 2011 with aftermarket 2016 design tail lights. This triggered the ABS light (mine doesn't have VSC so those lights weren't tripped). Hooked up techstream, which showed the fault code C1249 "Open circuit in stop light switch circuit". It went away once I switched back to the stock tails.

I think the main body ecu trips those lights when it thinks your brake lights are out. The brake light on the aftermarket tail light was only drawing 300ma @ 13.5 volts (4 watts) per side versus 8 watts on the stock tail light. Might be worth checking out

He said the wires were very "brittle". They are fixing it. I hope that's all it is.

Sounds like shop speak for," our gorilla fisted mechanic busted a plastic connector"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom