Limied Slip Differential - Have I got it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

Super forum for the 80, a lot to learn and nice guys to ask the touch questions that your mechanic doesn't bother to reply about....sums up IH8MUD 80 series forum for me.

So here goes. I have a noise from my back diff which increases as I pass over 50mph but subsides as I pass over 60-70mph...but doesn't die down.

I am suspecting I have a LSD in the back but have no way of know it. I want to change the diff oil (as advised by the tech) and I stopped remembering that LSD needs a different oil.

Perhaps the previous owner neglected this and hence the noise? Can some one advise how to recognize if the rig is having LSD in the rear. I have K294 code in the name plate along with the VIN.

Any pics would help as I plan to raise the rig later tomorrow.

The land cruiser has open differentials which can be locked. I may very well misunderstand your question, but your rear diff is open unless it's locked, and since you've got the code, you'd have e-lockers - so I doubt your rear diff is locked. I'm assuming the light isn't on. The center diff has a viscous coupler so maybe it counts as "limited" slip but many people here have removed it. If you're asking what diff oil to use, Valvoline 80w-90 or any similar oil. Do you have a diff whine? Can you post a recording? It's common with these trucks and ours whines and it hasn't been an issue.

Edit: If you are changing the diff oil and have never done it before, be aware that it's a fun and interesting job due to the distinctive, distinguished aroma of diff oil.

What market are you in?

Doubtful you have a limited slip if it's a North American market vehicle. With k294 you should have front and rear lockers vs an LSD.

I'd say you'd be fine with any quality 90weight gear oil in there.

...and a suggestion that that I think belongs in most threads about changing fluids:
Open the fill hole before you open the drain hole. (Just to confirm you can re-fill it.) If you can't re-fill, the old fluid is almost always better than no fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom