LED polarity diagram for the instrument cluster (1 Viewer)

John Young

SILVER Star
I seem to have LED's on the brain lately. Especially after I found more than 5 bulbs burnt out in the instrument cluster of our 1993 Middle East 80. I've been replacing LEDs and putting new LED lights everywhere it seems. Laugh if you like, but I can actually see things down in the corners, like the fuel pump relay.
1602789465635.png

Anyways, I have the dash apart again for ... reasons. I bought all the necessary LED's to replace everything in the dash. Unfortunately, the available LEDs are polarity sensitive and neither the instrument cluster nor the panel switches are marked--because they did not have to be with the incandescent bulbs from the factory.

I have read all the threads I can find in the Model 80 forum and while there is mention after mention of the polarity issue, I cannot for the life of me find where anyone has posted a polarity map for the instrument cluster or the panel switches. I'm hoping I've just missed it. Does anyone know if such a map exists?

My next step is to resort to the wiring diagram which makes my eyes hurt just thinking about.

ProjectsNMotion

SILVER Star
I recently swapped (almost) all of the bulbs in my gauge cluster with LEDs. I skipped the low fuel warning light because it's supposed to vary in brightness and an LED simply won't do that in that circuit.

The way I went about it was installing each LED and then applying 12V power, from a bench top power supply, to the correct terminations where the chassis harness connectors plug in. I referenced the wiring diagrams for the terminal numbers and polarity. It really didn't take very long doing it this way. 15 minutes I think?

Cheers

John Young

SILVER Star
It took me a lot longer...
Here is my results:
FZJ80 instrument cluster LED map 1.jpeg

LED instrument map 2.jpeg

instrument cluster LED map 3.jpeg

instrument cluster LED map 4.jpeg

The only one I could not figure out was the A/TP light. Apparently it is not working on my truck. I put the transfer case in neutral and my understanding is that it is supposed to light up. It did not. So I left that one as incandescent.

I was a little apprehensive about applying voltage to my cluster to test. I did it by a combination of tracing and trial and error, plugging it into the dash to check whether the lights would come on when I turned on the ignition but did not start the car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom