LED low beam, test thread w pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The goal of this thread is to put LED lights into the basic gx460 or 470 in the H11 low beam housing. This it to improve constant driving and does not focus on the issues with DRL/high beam. The high beams are covered in the thread below. I wanted to provide a light bulb for my wife to drive around all the time. There are a lot of complications with LED bulbs and I want to get specific links, and pictures in our rigs so that everyone can buy them if you wish.

High beam/DRL issues:

Why LED vs HID:
Our GX460 does not have HID bulbs. I was reading a lot on LEDs. I have done HID with projectors in 2 cars and they are great for crisp cut off lines and very bright. I don't like the extra power drain and work on the battery for a 55 watt and the 35 watt just don't work that well on rural roads. You have to add a harness to the vehicle. A new Lexus HID housing costs a lot. DIY projector with JB weld mod works great but a lot of work. after having the car for a few days my wife said that the headlights were not very good. Since it's my wife's daily driver I want it to be simple for her. If a light goes out and she needs to stop in to an auto store they can just give her an h-11 bulb. As a back up I'm going to add morimoto mini projectors and HID setup to her fog light hosuing. So I thought I would try out LED bulbs after reading so much about them and seeing pictures of the really good cut off and brightness.

Sizes/width and length of the heat sinks/fans:
As you can tell when you first look at LED bulbs the heatsink and fans are very large compared to the halogen bulb. I was scowering forums for sizes of bulbs that would fit under the dust cover. FYI you can get an extended universal cover for larger bulbs if you want also. One of the threads on here discuss the morimoto 2stroke bulb, and it looked great.

On that note, personally in my experience and research, morimoto is high quality with a high price tag, yet you will never have things fail quickly or water enter into their harnesses. As far as I'm concerned it's the best quality and I have used their products since 2012.

While reading the reviews and looking at pictures on Amazon for the morimoto 2stroke bulbs I came across Hikari eye of Megatron bulb in picture comparison. The Hikari had better results but a few people said the bulbs dies In a year, under 2 years, and one guy at 8 months out of about 2000

However at a price tag of $120 for the Morimotos I thought I would try the $40 hikari light bulbs first. See what they look like, if I like LEDs, and rotate and play with them in the housing. If one of the Hikari fails quickly then I can get a pair of the 2strokes and then I'll have a spare bulb to use if the Morimoto ever fails and there is a wait time for delivery.

The new bulbs come in tomorrow and I'll post before and after pictures. As you change your primary lights to LED bulbs keep posting your before and after pictures and links to the bulbs for everyones' benefit. Try to show dust cover mods or how they fit, links to covers that work, and a night pic before and after. Hope this helps you guys.

Smaller/newer Hikari (not as bright as the eye of Megatron but fits the gx460):
Amazon product ASIN B07GKPR452
Morimoto 2stroke
Amazon product ASIN B07HJHGHRS

Pictures:

Morimoto 2strokes vs Hikari comparison I saw. The second picture is the morimoto 2 strokes in the high beam housing.

Screenshot_20200706-090215.png

041A12A8-E14A-4A54-A65F-FC77EB58CDEE~3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
Another one that fits under the dust cover is the GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0

See before and after pics below

IMG_20191221_180141_MP_2.jpg

49266932807_2c165e07bf_b.jpg

49266279958_f2f67c0a9c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Keep us posted on how they turn out.
Also if you have time, can you provide a step-by-step install of your project?
Eventually I'd like to get my whole rig on LED's, e.g. head lights, turn signals, tail lights, etc.
All my aux. lighting is already LED, so I guess that's a head start.

Interested in switching my oem bulbs for 04 land cruiser

so the only issues with some of these bulbs is that it wont fit the housing?

Interested in switching my oem bulbs for 04 land cruiser

so the only issues with some of these bulbs is that it wont fit the housing?

So some fans and fins at the back of the bulbs are too big. They are used to cool the bulb. If too big it won't go into the bulb notches. The dust cover won't snap back on if the fins are too long and sticking out of the back of the housing.

The mods are to grind or file down the fins/aluminum so that it fits. I personally just want a good bulb that fits with no issues. I also would prefer not to spend $200 on LED bulbs if I don't have too. If I need a new bulb down the road asap, the last thing I want to do if I'm too busy is mod a bulb. This way if I find a good bulb that works well the wife can reorder the bulb if she sees it go out and I can change it quickly.

One thing that I would think would help cooling/bulb life would be if there was a dust cover mod that allowed the fins to stick out and cool (removing the heat inside the housing), but be sealed from dust so that the dust doesn't decrease visibility out of the front and decrease reflection off the back.

I like this thread, and I have the same wants as you do: practical, reliable, no mod, reasonable price. I picked up a pair of 6011 (?) for high beam "upgrade", but that's just to hold me over until I figure out something else more substantial that meets our mutual criteria.

Here is the lower lumen/smaller Hikari bulb comparison. The bulbs arrived just before we headed to a campground for the weekend so it was a little late before I could swap them out, but here it is.

Notice the lighting on the fence and the palm tree in the background. The cut off line looks a lot stronger and brighter on the palm tree. The Hikaris really light up that snow birds' propane tank straight ahead but that may be more because the bulbs are whiter. It's not a huge improvement but a little better. I would say go with the Morimoto 2strokes if you want the best quality and don't mind spending more. These seem like a similar replacement to stock. Even Hikari says these are 10,000 lumens while the larger eye of Megatron bulbs are 12,000 lumens, and those are similar to the 2strokes so 2 strokes will be my next set. I still have to drive around, but it looks better overall though. Good test and worth the money I think.

Fit:
They also fit with no issues and the dust cover fit back on with no issues. You need a pocket knife to pop out the shroud plugs then reach in and turn the large white dust covers to release them just like a bulb. Oh, the bulbs can plug in either way, so if one doesn't light up, as in my case, turn the plug the other way. You will see a clip on both sides of the Hikari plug.

IMG_20200708_224856719.jpg

IMG_20200708_222815440.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the lower lumen/smaller Hikari bulb comparison. We got the bulbs just before we headed to a campground for the weekend so it was a little late before I could swap them out, but here it is.

Notice the lighting on the fence and the palm tree in the background. The cut off line looks a lot stronger and brighter on the palm tree. The Hikaris really light up that snow birds' propane tank straight ahead but that may be more because the bulbs are whiter. It's not a huge improvement but a little better. I would say go with the Morimoto 2strokes if you want the best quality and don't mind spending more. These seem like a similar replacement to stock. Even Hikari says these are 10,000 lumens while the larger eye of Megatron bulbs are 12,000 lumens, and those are similar to the 2strokes so 2 strokes will be my next set. I still have to drive around, but it looks better overall though. Good test and worth the money I think.

Fit:
They also fit with no issues and the dust cover fit back on with no issues. You need a pocket knife to pop out the shroud plugs then reach in and turn the large white dust covers to release them just like a bulb. Oh, the bulbs can plug in either way, so if one doesn't light up, as in my case, turn the plug the other way. You will see a clip on both sides of the Hikari plug.

View attachment 2365842

View attachment 2365844
Few quick questions:
  • So these are "plug-n-play"?
  • These are significantly brighter? And I mean throw's out light farther? My biggest concern is out running my headlights at highway speeds on long dark rural roads where/when wildlife appear on the road. I'd like to be able to see as far out as possible, before needing high beams.
  • Can you please post some Amazon links? (I assume that's your vendor)
Thanks!

Few quick questions:
  • So these are "plug-n-play"?
  • These are significantly brighter? And I mean throw's out light farther? My biggest concern is out running my headlights at highway speeds on long dark rural roads where/when wildlife appear on the road. I'd like to be able to see as far out as possible, before needing high beams.
  • Can you please post some Amazon links? (I assume that's your vendor)
Thanks!

Check your ad blocker, this forum blocks Amazon links. The link automatically shows a picture of the product vs staying in text format, and ad blockers block it. The link is below. It's linked in the OP at the bottom also

Yes plug and play, turn the dust cap and bulbs righty tightly Lefty loosy.

Check your ad blocker, this forum blocks Amazon links. The link automatically shows a picture of the product vs staying in text format, and ad blockers block it. The link is below. It's linked in the OP at the bottom also

Yes plug and play, turn the dust cap and bulbs righty tightly Lefty loosy.

THANKS for the link!!
What about how far they throw out? The brightness is great as seen in your photos, but are you getting more distance out of them?

THANKS for the link!!
What about how far they throw out? The brightness is great as seen in your photos, but are you getting more distance out of them?

It was a long day yesterday going camping so I just put them in took pictures and went to bed. You can always put HID bulbs in your fog lights for a huge upgrade that floods rural roads.

It was a long day yesterday going camping so I just put them in took pictures and went to bed. You can always put HID bulbs in your fog lights for a huge upgrade that floods rural roads.
Copy that... Even relaxing camping can take it out of you.
If you should remember or have time, can you do some kind of comparison? Or maybe even a seat-of-the-pants feel of what kind of improvement you see? Especially on a dark highway at 70 mph or so? See if you're out-running your headlights.

Any fog HIDs you recommend? I was thinking of going amber in the fogs, especially if I'll be switching to a "whiter" LED in the low beams. I'm also trying to understand our lighting options better. It seems like the same bulb can fit into multiple locations? Like someone was talking about putting those Hikaris you linked in their fog lights... there's such a paradox of choice, it seems like someone would have to try out a half dozen combinations before finding something optimal.

It seems like you're not super impressed with the Hikaris? Scrolling down the Amazon page, it looked like there were a couple other options from that brand, Ultra and 2020, both respectively more expense, but still less than the Morimotos.

(Have you messed with your highbeams yet? From the Clublex link you posted, sounds like Amazon product ASIN B07T1LCZB7 is the way to go? )

Any fog HIDs you recommend? I was thinking of going amber in the fogs, especially if I'll be switching to a "whiter" LED in the low beams. I'm also trying to understand our lighting options better. It seems like the same bulb can fit into multiple locations? Like someone was talking about putting those Hikaris you linked in their fog lights... there's such a paradox of choice, it seems like someone would have to try out a half dozen combinations before finding something optimal.

It seems like you're not super impressed with the Hikaris? Scrolling down the Amazon page, it looked like there were a couple other options from that brand, Ultra and 2020, both respectively more expense, but still less than the Morimotos.

(Have you messed with your highbeams yet? From the Clublex link you posted, sounds like Amazon product ASIN B07T1LCZB7 is the way to go? )

I did the h11 morimoto harness about $35 or $40 and innovited 55watt ballasts and bulbs. I only do morimoto for harnesses bc they are waterproof, have lasted forever for me. I have had innovited bulbs and balasts and they do not fail soon. I don't think I have had to change them in either of my last two trucks.

You will also need a h11 to hid bulb adapter

yes low beam is H11 same as fog lights

The Hikari ones don't seem to be amazing, def an upgrade but maybe those you saw are better, do a before and after pics. That's why I made this thread so we can all narrow down bulbs that will fit and work way better. I have a feeling the Morimotos are going to be the best that fit though. For $40 it's probably worth a try on your bulbs you found to get rid of the crap low beams.

Last edited:
Saw this on Facebook. Morimoto comparison shots, but read the comment right before the pics

Screenshot_20200724-102115.png

I ordered some of those eyes of megatron Amazon product ASIN B077BT6M6Z. They don't fit in my 460.

bulb1.jpg

pretty annoying. I can get them to line up, but they won't twist to lock. No matter how hard or what leverage I use to turn them. Going to send them back and look for something else. So far, nothing really seems THAT worth upgrading?

I ordered some of those eyes of megatron Amazon product ASIN B077BT6M6Z. They don't fit in my 460.

View attachment 2459171

pretty annoying. I can get them to line up, but they won't twist to lock. No matter how hard or what leverage I use to turn them. Going to send them back and look for something else. So far, nothing really seems THAT worth upgrading?

Did you try swapping the rubber seal? Usually that needs to be done anyway, not sure why but it's common to be done. But I don't think the dust cover will close with the eye of megatron, which is why I didn't get them.

Did you try swapping the rubber seal? Usually that needs to be done anyway, not sure why but it's common to be done. But I don't think the dust cover will close with the eye of megatron, which is why I didn't get them.

Yeah, tried swapping seals and everything. No dice, they set in the noches, but I can't get them to turn, so I'm returning them.

I was going to pull the trigger on the morimotos Amazon product ASIN B07HJHGHRS but Amazon says specifically that they don't fit in the Toyota side entry projectors, which is what I'm assuming we have on the 460? Does anyone have experience getting them to fit?
There are some other budget H11 low beams like Amazon product ASIN B07NPMV1H5 that have really good (and a ton of) reviews, but I'm pretty skeptical. I would also consider the Diode Dynamics h11 LED, but they didn't get great reviews.

I might just go with some silverstar ultras for now. Although I really don't want to drop $50 just to replace them shortly down the line. But I busted my halogen pulling it out, so I'm currently down a headlight and need to do something sooner than later.

Just here to offer a little more info from my recent lighting shenanigans.

When I bought my GX, it had some crappy blue HID wannabe high beams and weak low beams. I just recently dove into trying to address this whole factory lighting situation some.

Amazon saw I was looking and sent me a lighting BF deal on these (for H11 low beam replacement) so I decided to try them. They didn’t fit, the oblong shape of the cooling fins caused a clearance issue on the driver side.

Amazon product ASIN B06XHDYTGL
I might try some other low beam LED suggestions here soon.

For high beam, I found these Hella bulbs at 4 Wheel Parts for dirt cheap and bought them to replace my blue ones that came with the GX. I don’t know what’s a great light, but these are as bright as any brights I’ve ever had and the price is phenomenal ($2.81 ea).

What’s the rule for the fog light housing and LED bulbs, is it ok? I was looking at these (yellow, I personally like yellow fogs).

Amazon product ASIN B07R7CF9TH

On another noted, I found out both my low beam dust covers are MIA. Found them on eBay for $15 each, but now I’m wondering if part of my weak low beam is a dirty projector housing. Anyone have advice against using compressed air to try to just evacuate them a bit?

Part number for 2010-2013 (maybe newer, but not confirmed by me) Low beam headlight dust covers is 81135-24160.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add to the information here:

I recently bought a GX460 and changing the bulbs was my first task. I can confirm that the LumaWerx H11 bulb DOES NOT fit in our housing because of the large fins. My second try was with VLED. They DO fit and are definitely an improvement over the stock lightbulbs (which isn't saying much as you know). I'm satisfied though and would recommend them. I don't have pictures at the moment since I just did this yesterday, but if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom