leather seats - re-dye the gray leather? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20170423_103252.jpg

Hi, i've been thinking of repairing my leather seats
I've seen some videos online which look time consuming, but amazing results, including leather crack filling, sanding, and re-dying the leather

however, i've contacted a few companies and they want me to send in a head rest for colour matching... as i'm in africa, this is a little difficult
does anyone know a reputable leather dealer who has already matched the gray, so i can import a kit?

Remove the seat back panel and cut a small hidden sample from back there. There should be a little extra material. Leatherique is probably the company I would go with. They show a color 10 Blue Gray that should be close.

Japanese Cars | Leatherique Restoration Products

Go to local auto parts store buy some gray vinyl spray and spray it on there pretty much matches I did that on My LX and it filled in all the cracks with the vinyl and just re-spray as needed looks pretty damn good

Thanks guys
I'm in Nairobi, Kenya, so that local auto parts store doesn't exist quite like it does in the west :(

I had the same issue. I asked what Lexus charged per OEM cover. $4500 AUD per seat. I then did a re-dye for $150. It lasted 6 months then cracked and flaked and looked terrible. I am in the process of having them professionally re-upholstered for $1600 AUD.

I had my truck seats dyed after I bought it. Like you, mine looked good for a few months and then it started coming off with every wipe down with a damp cloth. Of course, the guy who did it spent less than 2 hours doing the work.

I think if you follow the Leatherique instructions and take your time, the results should last much longer.

I used SEM dye which I used in other cars and it failed within a week. Just order new leather from lseat and redo your seats. Cheaper than a repair

Skip the fill and dye. Leave that to the used car lot gangsters. It won't last. I had it on when I bought it and it was destroyed within 2 months.
Do it right first time and have some new leather covers flown in.
Do OEM carpet at same time and add an eBay steering wheel. Boom. New interior. Worth every penny.

What's the carpet run for the LC?
About $670 delivered. That is genuine OEM Toyota. Not including cargo, because I have drawers. Used a 10% discount and saved 75 bucks. I researched all manners of aftermarket and nothing seemed like a value. Glad I did OEM. Had leather guys install for free while seats were out. For me it was worth it as my rig's orig carpet was beyond nasty. Threw some weather techs on the new stuff and I'm good for another 2OOk.

Part Number

58510-60Y10-B0

CARPET ASSY FLOOR

Company Information
Conicelli Toyota Parts Center,
1580 Alan Wood Road
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, 19428
USA
800-825-7128 ext.5
parts@partznet.com

My leather restorations last for years - maybe 80 or 90 percent of the life of new leather. And if/when they need touchup you touch them up. Just like painting the prep work is everything. And you can't use vinyl coatings - they're very different than leather coatings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom