LCEngineering or OME suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just doing some much needed maintenance on my 87 Pickup. I want everything as stock as possible. I’m considering the stock height LCE and OME suspensions. I know both are reputable and good options around the same price point. I just would like to hear from people that have had either. All input is welcome!

36CCE2C2-2C13-41C0-A5BD-BAF502312418.jpeg

On my 4 runner I’m going OME light/medium and hoping a rear bumper and sliders bring me down pretty close to 2” max over stock. I’m very concerned about a harsh ride even with the lighter kit. I will throw on ball joint spacers as needed, but I’m hoping for the best. My other plan b was to find new stock height springs and add a leaf.... there is an add-a leaf in there now from the PO but the old springs are worn out so it’s raised but harsh. I’m in the same boat. Running 31s starting Friday.

I took a break from driving my 1st gen 4runner for two months and man do I notice the harsh ride that the 2-3" OME lift gave it.
It is a straight axle so theres that, but damn is it harsh. I had the tough dog lift on my fj60 and that rode sooooo nice. Wonder if Tough Dog makes a lift for your truck or maybe even Dobinson. Edit: just found this, might be worth giving them a call. I hear nothing but good things about their stuff.

31's will fit fine on your 89' pick up. Maybe torque the torsion bars a tad with some new shocks and then refresh your rear leafs and shocks?
The best ride I had on my old 89' 4runner was blazeland longtravel with the Zuk mod in the rear. The Zuk mod was so simple and effective.

I took a break from driving my 1st gen 4runner for two months and man do I notice the harsh ride that the 2-3" OME lift gave it.
It is a straight axle so theres that, but damn is it harsh. I had the tough dog lift on my fj60 and that rode sooooo nice. Wonder if Tough Dog makes a lift for your truck or maybe even Dobinson. Edit: just found this, might be worth giving them a call. I hear nothing but good things about their stuff.

31's will fit fine on your 89' pick up. Maybe torque the torsion bars a tad with some new shocks and then refresh your rear leafs and shocks?
The best ride I had on my old 89' 4runner was blazeland longtravel with the Zuk mod in the rear. The Zuk mod was so simple and effective.
Were you running heavies rear and front? OME shocks?

I have an OME kit sitting in my garage I need to install, I will also be adding an ARB bumper and winch. I have always used OME on all of my toyota's. I think the ride might be alittle harsh but I never thought it was unbearable. Every Toyota with an OME setup has been much kinder than my stock 2003 ford f250 4x4 .

Haha seems like you got both sides of the spectrum covered. I’ve always heard good things about OME. But I’ve always heard exactly what you just said. Little harsh but very reliable. When I was trying to find a good new suspension for my 80 series I came across Allen Gray and Terrain Tamers. Allen is a cool old mech from Australia that worked on the first Land Cruiser that was shipped there. I’m pretty sure that was in one of his videos. But regardless... awesome guy. So he knows his stuff. Anyway, that suspension is incredible and would 100% go with one again. Just the stock height has limited my choices.

Last edited:
I’ll probably do OME. Light/medium... with ball joint spacers to level it out. I think a lot of people throw heavies on and wonder why it’s harsh. If money was no option I might try dobison, though I have no idea how much it lifts as they do not advertise the inches of lift ... or maybe I missed it... but it’s like 5 to 6 hundred difference... that’s sliders and air. OME ain’t that rough!

Good point. Heavy duty means better. Right...? Jk
Exactly, I think alot people get a little carried away with the idea of how much they are going to carry and then go heavy. I am not shaming anyone, I have done this before as well. I know some people actually carry this weight. It's a rare old toyota that I come across that actually carries around 2k as a constant load.

I’m wondering how much lift the OME “light/medium “ kit will yeild with a 4xinovations tube rear (no swingout) and maybe some simple sliders. I really really don’t want much lift. The height is about perfect now at exactly juuuuust over 13” top of rim to fender in the rear... it had an add a leaf from PO, but it’s tired and worn out with lame shocks. I want to achieve the same stance but freshened up.

also... the bumper and sliders are not on yet.

Were you running heavies rear and front? OME shocks?
sorry for the late reply. I have heavy front and medium rear I believe. OME shocks

You can always add leafs or take them away if you want. Thats the only difference I think.

Scan 1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom