Events/Trails LCDC 6 Official Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW- I connected mine to an external antenna and bought the hand mic. The radio- just zip tied it to the E-Brake handle.

You can still use the brake and it just sits there horizontal with easy access to change channel and you use the hand mic to hear and transmit from.

Squawking inside cab with long antenna works but not as well as external antenna.
Now that’s another good idea. If you’ve got links to the external antenna/ mic you used would be greatly appreciated!

Now that’s another good idea. If you’ve got links to the external antenna/ mic you used would be greatly appreciated!
I did the Diamond Antenna Slim Gainer Az504sp.

I think I needed an adapter at the radio. It’s a fixed mount. But there are a lot of options. Including mag mounts. The mic- can’t remember. I think I got both on eBay or another online retailer. It was really easy to run the cable through the firewall.
I bought the pair of radios- the other one is in the console with long antenna so I can hand it off in emergencies and keep the main one in truck.

Re the mic/speaker plug kit...
-I have two Baofengs and like them.... But... See link below for great set (rebadged Baofeng) that comes with the mic/speaker piece and quite a bit more.

**I just ordered one of these sets to TEST it before recommending, and it’s excellent.

Comes with extra battery, the baofeng mic/speaker piece mentioned above, and several other items including a longer antenna, earpiece, and more.

Ham Radio Walkie Talkie (UV-5R 8-Watt) UHF VHF Dual Band 2-Way Radio with 2 Rechargeable 2100mAh Battery Handheld Walkie Talkies Complete Set with Earpiece and Programming Cable Amazon product ASIN B07TX9FYKJ

I did the Diamond Antenna Slim Gainer Az504sp.

I think I needed an adapter at the radio. It’s a fixed mount. But there are a lot of options. Including mag mounts. The mic- can’t remember. I think I got both on eBay or another online retailer. It was really easy to run the cable through the firewall.
I bought the pair of radios- the other one is in the console with long antenna so I can hand it off in emergencies and keep the main one in truck.
Thanks @BTUMAN, appreciate it!

-I have two Baofengs and like them.... But... See link below for great set (rebadged Baofeng) that comes with the mic/speaker piece and quite a bit more.

**I just ordered one of these sets to TEST it before recommending, and it’s excellent.

Comes with extra battery, the baofeng mic/speaker piece mentioned above, and several other items including a longer antenna, earpiece, and more.

Ham Radio Walkie Talkie (UV-5R 8-Watt) UHF VHF Dual Band 2-Way Radio with 2 Rechargeable 2100mAh Battery Handheld Walkie Talkies Complete Set with Earpiece and Programming Cable Amazon product ASIN B07TX9FYKJ
Thanks @Markuson, that does look like a good package. As I’ve already got the radio though, we just initially looking for a way to mount it....and down the rabbit hole I go🤗 I appreciate everyone’s input, and apologies for somewhat of the thread derail. But once I land on something I’ll definitely share. Cheers!

The value on the Baofengs is unbelievable. The fact you can get a radio, 2 antennas, 2 batteries, car charger, home charger, external mic, and programming cable for under $50 shipped to your house in 2 days is crazy.

The value on the Baofengs is unbelievable. The fact you can get a radio, 2 antennas, 2 batteries, car charger, home charger, external mic, and programming cable for under $50 shipped to your house in 2 days is crazy.
Agreed. After thinking about it for all of 30 seconds I think I’ll go ahead and order a second radio just to get all of the other toys.:cheers:

Sounds good. Just thought someone might have stumbled onto a solution along the lines of some of the phone mount hacks posted here. Besides, when traveling with my girlfriend the cup holders are already over flowing with “non-beverage holding “ crap:bang:
I sometimes clip it to the sun visor with the belt clip when wheeling. Not good for talking (unless you use an external mic) but easy reach and not in the cupholders

I'm currently booked at a Marriott property in Ft. Collins, but will now be coming solo, so I'd prefer to camp in my rig. While I am sure there are tons of options out there, it would be nice to find a spot with others. If anyone has room for an extra, let me know. Otherwise I'd be happy to get some suggestions (coordinates?) of some good dispersed camping locations.

Ansel Watrous role call. For those of us at Ansel, send me a DM and I will post your campsite and corresponding MUD name so we have a general sense of who and where. I'll update this post as I get DMs to keep the thread clean. It might be useful to get an email group started for meal planning etc. if members are interested.

Ansel Watrous LCDC Campers

Upper Sites
001 -
002 -
003 -
004 -
005 - @vapilotda
006 - @wiseinvestor
007 - @linuxgod
008 - @tincan45
009 -
010 -

Lower Sites
011 -
012 -
013 -
014 -
015 -
016 -
017 -

Last edited:
I'm currently booked at a Marriott property in Ft. Collins, but will now be coming solo, so I'd prefer to camp in my rig. While I am sure there are tons of options out there, it would be nice to find a spot with others. If anyone has room for an extra, let me know. Otherwise I'd be happy to get some suggestions (coordinates?) of some good dispersed camping locations.

Here are a couple I noticed, but I'm not familiar with the area so hopefully the locals will chime in.

40.686339, -105.495559
40.684170, -105.491442

Also - It looks like Kelly Flats campground is first come first serve. Perhaps, since it's early in the week, members can get in there.

Last edited:
There are quite a few that are first come and yes coming mid week definitely helps grabbing a spot. I recommend Kelly Flats and Jacks Gulch which is first come...

This site has all info you need for every camp site in the area:

Grab the MVUM maps here for dispersed camping. You can also pick up hard copies in Fort Collins before you head up the canyon.

Check out my post above for all options. Which Marriott? Quite a few are staying at the Elizabeth which is my personal favorite and right downtown. Would be great if a bunch of you took over a campground...

Just FYI... It's about a 30min drive from Ansel Watrous to the Elizabeth and downtown FC. Right now I'm thinking parks in FC for evening events but hoping with new updates July 1 we can look at some gatherings at the local breweries such as New Belgium and O'Dells. They have huge areas for folks to hang out with food trucks, games and dog friendly. We'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out.

Last edited:
Ansel Watrous role call. For those of us at Ansel, send me a DM and I will post your campsite and corresponding MUD name so we have a general sense of who and where. I'll update this post as I get DMs to keep the thread clean. It might be useful to get an email group started for meal planning etc. if members are interested.

Ansel Watrous LCDC Campers

Upper Sites
001 -
002 -
003 -
004 -
005 - @vapilotda (Need to confirm)
006 - @wiseinvestor
007 - @linuxgod
008 - @tincan45 (Using 2 of 8 permitted on site)
009 -

Lower Sites
011 -
012 -
013 -
014 -
015 -
016 -
017 -

You have it correct, I'm in spot 5 upper site.

I put myself in a hilton garden inn in what looks to be wildwood. Being that I don't drink, and will be solo, being further away from the evenings events and the drive back and forth won't bother me.

You have it correct, I'm in spot 5 upper site.

Thanks! Purely coincidence we are all in a row. Also looks like we all have kids around the same ages (7-14).

Here are a couple I noticed, but I'm not familiar with the area so hopefully the locals will chime in.

40.686339, -105.495559
40.684170, -105.491442

Also - It looks like Kelly Flats campground is first come first serve. Perhaps, since it's early in the week, members can get in there.

Thanks for those coordinates. I will be planning to post up Tuesday night at this camp spot or one close to it, should it not be available. Looks like room for at least a few rigs.

40°41'10.6"N 105°29'42.9"W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom