LCA thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just noticed cupping on a tire and a leaky LCA ball joint on the passenger side. I guess its time to replace. so here is the question(s) for you:

1. Any good sources for reputable OE LCA's?
2. Anything else I should replace (upper ball joints, cam tabs, etc)
3. Do the CV's to or not worry if they aren't leaking?

2008 no KSDD, 130K California truck most of its life (no rust, no trail damage)

Lasty, does anyone have a service interval card for these? The user manual would rather you just take it to a dealer to have service done, wondering when the plugs are due.

I bought mine online at TRDParts.com for $528 including free shipping and no upfront taxes. I saw a lot of Toyota dealers that sell online at good prices, but the shipping fees were not free. I wasn't happy with the condition of the box, but the LCAs were new and in good condition.

The Toyota OEM LCAs come with the ball joint and the bushings already pressed in. There's a recommendation to upgrade the CAM tabs, but it requires a lot of soldering. If you can find a shop to do this at a reasonable price, then get the TC CAM Tabs from MetalTech4x4.

I didn't worry about the CV boots since they weren't leaking, but that's just me.

Lasty, does anyone have a service interval card for these? The user manual would rather you just take it to a dealer to have service done, wondering when the plugs are due.

I follow the user's manual for basic fluid changes, spark plug changes, belt changes, etc. Plugs are due at 120k miles or 144 months.

I bought mine online at TRDParts.com for $528 including free shipping and no upfront taxes. I saw a lot of Toyota dealers that sell online at good prices, but the shipping fees were not free. I wasn't happy with the condition of the box, but the LCAs were new and in good condition.

The Toyota OEM LCAs come with the ball joint and the bushings already pressed in. There's a recommendation to upgrade the CAM tabs, but it requires a lot of soldering. If you can find a shop to do this at a reasonable price, then get the TC CAM Tabs from MetalTech4x4.

I didn't worry about the CV boots since they weren't leaking, but that's just me.

I follow the user's manual for basic fluid changes, spark plug changes, belt changes, etc. Plugs are due at 120k miles or 144 months.

Thanks. Re ball joints I guess I should have said upper arms instead. Do those too or case by case. Are the 2008 t4r arms same as 2008 gx?

The TotalChaos Upper Control Arms (UCAs) are like $650 and I upgraded to them. Got them at MetalTech4x4. I don't know how much the Toyota OEM UCAs are, but if you plan to get bigger tires like 33s and a 2.5" lift, then consider upgrading to the TC UCAs. I don't know if you can just change the ball joints on the OEM uppers.

Also, I've heard that MOOG LCAs are a good cheaper alternative than Toyota OEM LCAs. And the TC LCAs are like $1800 if you plan to offroad like you stole it.

The TotalChaos Upper Control Arms (UCAs) are like $650 and I upgraded to them. Got them at MetalTech4x4. I don't know how much the Toyota OEM UCAs are, but if you plan to get bigger tires like 33s and a 2.5" lift, then consider upgrading to the TC UCAs. I don't know if you can just change the ball joints on the OEM uppers.

Also, I've heard that MOOG LCAs are a good cheaper alternative than Toyota OEM LCAs. And the TC LCAs are like $1800 if you plan to offroad like you stole it.

This is the wife's daily, my 80 is the of road machine. So no need to worry about raised ball joint wear. I guess I'll just have to see how they look when I get under there

It will be your offroad machine in a few years! LOL

The factory upper arms are more than the total Chaos uppers. The factory uppers are also more than the factory lowers.

You can find factory lowers online for around $250-260/ea. You’re lucky you don’t have KDSS, the KDSS lower control arms are much more.

There is no specific service interval for them. They’re an as needed component. Mine made it 170k.

Also keep in mind cupping of tires is generally a toe concern. Toed in would be on the outer edge of the tire, toed out would be inner edge wear. Camber can cause wear as well, but it has to be out by quite a bit and for quite a while to cause issues.

The factory upper arms are more than the total Chaos uppers. The factory uppers are also more than the factory lowers.

You can find factory lowers online for around $250-260/ea. You’re lucky you don’t have KDSS, the KDSS lower control arms are much more.

There is no specific service interval for them. They’re an as needed component. Mine made it 170k.

Also keep in mind cupping of tires is generally a toe concern. Toed in would be on the outer edge of the tire, toed out would be inner edge wear. Camber can cause wear as well, but it has to be out by quite a bit and for quite a while to cause issues.

Thanks. It's not just toe, it's leaking and feels a little lose

The Moog stuff has been super hit or miss from my experience across several different Toyota platforms. They outsource to several countries for manufacture. Sometimes you can get genuine Japanese made 555 stuff in their boxes. Other times you get stuff made in Taiwan, India, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom