Landcruiser 70 series 5 star ANCAP for 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Locked79

SILVER Star
Threads
That's great news Locked but it's gotta put a sizable chunk on top of the $65.000 cab chassis.

I was talking about safety rating the other day with a mate and The land drover defender is not coming here any more because it's to agricultural not enough safety ratings but when landcruiser ute's finally got airbags I was afraid that I would set them off by bumping into a tree off road even if they didn't upgrade them there is no way they could stop importing them because the normal people would keep buying them stuff the mines they buy hiluxs and colorados as well

This is fundamentally very important and good news for the future of the 7x series as a global platform vehicle.

Toyota did ether one of two things:

1. Either repurposed existing technologies to the 7x platform engineering, or

2. They designed new systems specifically for the LC platform based on market.

The 7x has historically been a phenomenally modular platform in kind.

If they did the latter (doubt it), then this is good news in that Toyota still has a small place in Nagoya for LC engineering.

If the former, Toyota either has a long term replacement for the 7x or they are merely using existing technologies for "bridging" between a next iteration/generation.

A great example of this is the petrol 3F-E engine for the early FJ80 while Toyota engineering were completing patent and final touches on the newly (re) designed 1FZ-FE to be introduced in 8/1992.

A diesel corrolary would be the 12H-T engine while Toyota was again developing and putting the final touches on the 1HZ/1HD/1PZ family of engines in the same time period.

I am looking forward to the developments in Australia.

:cheers:

Your not going "accidently" set off the airbags bumping into a tree, thats no how they work
If I hit a tree with a new one as hard as I did last year it would have gone off I bent the bullbar right back into the bonnet this happens from going down a slippery hill no control

Setting the airbags off in the vdj landcruiser is harder than you think. Even if you push the bullbar into the bonnet and radiator into the fan has not been enough force set them off. Only in very severe head on hits have I seen them deployed. I've been to enough salvage auctions to convince me they don't go off for a small impact. If they do go off, there will be enough steering/chassis damage you won't be driving home anyway.

If I hit a tree with a new one as hard as I did last year it would have gone off I bent the bullbar right back into the bonnet this happens from going down a slippery hill no control

Nope wouldnt have gone off, if your here talking about it without your face being smashed the airbag would not have gone off. Airbags are designed to go off at certain G loads in certain directions, otherwise they can cause more injury than they prevent. Ie need to be travelling at more than ~60km/hr and have a certain deformation before activation. Even at higher speeds they wont necessarily go off, ie if your T boned. In cruisers one of the airbag sensors is under the cup holder next the the gear shift.

Last edited:
Few pics from FB. Fresh off the boat.
FB_IMG_1477369158408.jpg
FB_IMG_1477369114930.jpg
FB_IMG_1477369100178.jpg
FB_IMG_1477369080744.jpg

It's interesting that it tooktoyota that long to put auto freewheeling hubs on. Since Nissan has had ones that look identical for years. Only thing I don't like about the updated version is the smaller sub fuel tank on the ute and the wagon troopy still carries 180ltr

Chappohj47 in South Africa the 70 series has been fitted with the auto locking hubs since 2007. Its a weak point on the Cruiser. You still have to get out and lock these manually if you are doing serious off road work.

To sum up

0.75 5th gear
Taller 2nd gear (no more 2nd gear starts for you!)
Auto locking hubs
Thicker chassis/extra crossmember
New seats
DPF
New injectors
10%+ better fuel economy
Euro 5 compliant engine
VSC
Traction control. Can be turned off for sand ect.
No more LSD. Lockers still available.
Hill-start assist control
Brake assist
Larger accessories fuse box
No more split rims. (yay!)
225/95 16c tubeless tyres. (oddball size that seems to have no support but finally no more tubes!)
Taller bonnet for pedestrian safety
Altered steering arrangements (says they put the steering links behind the diff)
130l single tank on all models but troopy, troopy retains its twin 90l tanks.
New tray options.
5 airbags on single cab
Seatbelt pretensioners
Standard cruiser control
New shocks/springs.

Probably more that I missed.

Seems worth it for a 5% price hike to me. The loss of the twin tanks is a bit sad but the aftermarket will cover that.

I'm pleased to see the 0.75 5th gear, I'll be interested to see if it can be retrofitted into older H15x gearboxes, likewise the auto hubs. I know they should still be manually locked but being able to select 4wd and go would be awesome for minor obstacles.

I would have liked to have seen an auto gearbox option but we can't have everything.

I wonder if I could get a H152 behind my 1HD-T. Plenty of torque now to turn a decent overdrive! :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom