Builds KZJ78 Wide... Another Build Thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice!Where did you get your egr delete kit from?And what guage did you use?
20220320_153515.jpg

Nice!Where did you get your egr delete kit from?And what guage did you use?View attachment 3098395
The block off and gauge and pyro all came together with this kit. Probably a bit more expensive that finding it all separately, but it came in a bundle, so I went with it.

I used the block off kit listed above with out the gage and then bought the Auber egt gage Auto gauges, EGT Boost : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5 It was a little cheeper than buying the gage kit above. and the gage numbers in green look very much like the green dash lights. I am very happy with the install. I put the gage in one of the switch blanks in the dash. it sticks out a little but it works.

Got the 3" exhaust installed this week, and I made the mistake of straight piping it. It's too damn loud. Going to take it to get a small resonator installed to quiet it down. I don't mind the rig making some noise... it's a diesel truck, but it's just too loud.
On the plus side, it did make a noticeable difference in power, and likely MPG. I'm not sure what everyone else is getting on theirs, but after taking it on a road trip to Whistler and back from Victoria, BC, it averaged 18.3 MPG. There are several long inclines, and I went up them following traffic and going over 80 km/h. The EGT gauge has been super helpful to keep an eye on temps, and the highest I saw them was 1300. I had 4 adults in there, 3 golf bags, 3 suitcases and a bunch of other stuff, so it was fairly heavily loaded.
Is that about on par with what everyone else is seeing?

Got the 3" exhaust installed this week, and I made the mistake of straight piping it. It's too damn loud. Going to take it to get a small resonator installed to quiet it down. I don't mind the rig making some noise... it's a diesel truck, but it's just too loud.
On the plus side, it did make a noticeable difference in power, and likely MPG. I'm not sure what everyone else is getting on theirs, but after taking it on a road trip to Whistler and back from Victoria, BC, it averaged 18.3 MPG. There are several long inclines, and I went up them following traffic and going over 80 km/h. The EGT gauge has been super helpful to keep an eye on temps, and the highest I saw them was 1300. I had 4 adults in there, 3 golf bags, 3 suitcases and a bunch of other stuff, so it was fairly heavily loaded.
Is that about on par with what everyone else is seeing?

I just drove mine on a road trip to Wilmington NC. It was a 3 hour trip. I am not sure what I was getting for mpg. but I know I was averaging I would say is 750. I know I saw some temps in the 900s getting to speeds of 90kmh. That being said, It was mostly flat and no inclines. it was also just me and my fiancé.

It’s not super useful to compare EGT numbers as it’s so context specific. That said, I can generally cruise at 110 km/h with EGTs at 950 or below. The highest I’ve ever seen on my gauge is 1150. The installation of a front mount intercooler helped even more than the 3” exhaust.

I just drove mine on a road trip to Wilmington NC. It was a 3 hour trip. I am not sure what I was getting for mpg. but I know I was averaging I would say is 750. I know I saw some temps in the 900s getting to speeds of 90kmh. That being said, It was mostly flat and no inclines. it was also just me and my fiancé.
Going 100 on the flats it would fluctuate between 750 and 850, but it would climb quickly on the steep inclines, especially trying to maintain 90 km/h. Heavy load, steep highway hills... I guess the higher temps were to be expected.

It’s not super useful to compare EGT numbers as it’s so context specific. That said, I can generally cruise at 110 km/h with EGTs at 950 or below. The highest I’ve ever seen on my gauge is 1150. The installation of a front mount intercooler helped even more than the 3” exhaust.
Intercooler is next on the list. I'm still debating between a front mount or a top mount with a hood scoop. I'll likely be putting a bigger turbo on it to get more hp as I plan on buying a boat and a teardrop rv that the rig will tow around, so keeping it cool will be very important.
Have you heard much on which style of intercooler works best, and if one is more difficult to install vs the other?

Intercooler is next on the list. I'm still debating between a front mount or a top mount with a hood scoop. I'll likely be putting a bigger turbo on it to get more hp as I plan on buying a boat and a teardrop rv that the rig will tow around, so keeping it cool will be very important.
Have you heard much on which style of intercooler works best, and if one is more difficult to install vs the other?
Front mount is definitely more efficient than top mount, and also easier to install I think. Here is mine. Your factory turbo is good up to 18-20 psi so depending on how big of power gains you’re chasing you can still use your factory turbo and increase horsepower quite a bit. Plus I don’t know of any aftermarket turbo that has quite the reliability of the factory one. I’m thinking of grabbing a unichip in the future or posssibly a manual fuel pump conversion. But that will probably wait until I get bored as I’m generally pretty happy with the power I’ve got.

2CF5A773-70E6-478B-ABEE-803D15C210F0.jpeg

2391718B-6C32-4FDA-A453-0408332A980B.jpeg

Front mount is definitely more efficient than top mount, and also easier to install I think. Here is mine. Your factory turbo is good up to 18-20 psi so depending on how big of power gains you’re chasing you can still use your factory turbo and increase horsepower quite a bit. Plus I don’t know of any aftermarket turbo that has quite the reliability of the factory one. I’m thinking of grabbing a unichip in the future or posssibly a manual fuel pump conversion. But that will probably wait until I get bored as I’m generally pretty happy with the power I’ve got.

View attachment 3108487

View attachment 3108488
That's really tidy work there. Nice to see it hasn't affected your ability to have a winch, as that's something I'm looking to add in the new year.
Repurposed intercooler from another vehicle, or did you buy something new?

That's really tidy work there. Nice to see it hasn't affected your ability to have a winch, as that's something I'm looking to add in the new year.
Repurposed intercooler from another vehicle, or did you buy something new?
I bought a new Vibrant 12800 intercooler and it fits perfect with some trimming of the grille.

I bought a new Vibrant 12800 intercooler and it fits perfect with some trimming of the grille.
I’m curious on mounting and hose/pipe set up. I’ve got a 95 KZJ78W I imported when I left Japan. Currently working on my build. So far I’ve done new rotor and calibers all around, converted to manual hubs. I’m planning one an EGR delete and EGT gauge next but as learn more I’ve become more interested in a front mount intercooler set up. Any help is greatly appreciated. Currently in Virginia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom