Builds KZJ78 Wide... Another Build Thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTV

Threads
Well, my time has officially arrived to join the Cruiser Madness. On Wednesday, my 1995 KZJ78 arrived from Japan, and I an thrilled with the product that got dropped off in front of my place.
Other than one rust area which will be very easy to remedy, the body or undercarriage shows no sign of corrosion, anywhere.
I was impressed with the pep it had, given the amount of reviews on these 3.0's saying they were very underpowered. I was however, driving it under very light load, but it pulled up the hills to over 100km/h without any problem at all. The photos are the arrival condition, but soon I'll be installing a 2" lift, 285/75/R16 Falken Wildpeak's (I was hoping for Baja Boss A/T, but they were not available anywhere) on Mickey Thompson Classic 3's, a 3" exhaust, EGR delete and EGT gauge, and if I can find one, a snorkel, which I'm having a really hard time finding due to the supply chain.
Since y'all have been at this a lot longer than me, and have a lot more knowledge, what should I be doing additonal/or is anything in that list not necessary? Intercooler is high on the list, but finding one and installing it is tricky for me.
Thanks for the help and knowledge, ladies and gents.
282298441_548905276785986_6204284356539553979_n.jpg
281898611_757612775618493_710448020442605370_n.jpg
282235356_548663596800566_3819452984174385342_n.jpg
282587401_379991377498657_5592418614749560359_n.jpg

Beautiful truck and sounds like you have good plans. We've been getting the KZJ78 in Canada since 2008, but the US has only started getting them the last 3-4 years. So good news, is there are lots of recent build threads here to read up on!

Make sure to not neglect any little rust spots. I made that mistake, and they grow fast! They hide under the rear bumper side covers at rear 1/4s, and rear of rocker area (think I spot one, hence my comment)

Beautiful truck and sounds like you have good plans. We've been getting the KZJ78 in Canada since 2008, but the US has only started getting them the last 3-4 years. So good news, is there are lots of recent build threads here to read up on!

Make sure to not neglect any little rust spots. I made that mistake, and they grow fast! They hide under the rear bumper side covers at rear 1/4s, and rear of rocker area (think I spot one, hence my comment)
Well spotted!
Yeah, there is one right in front of the right rear wheel arch, which gave me a heart attack when I saw it. I figured if there was a patch like that, there would be lots of other spots but not the case at all. Very tidy underneath. I'll be finding someone that can cut it out and redo it before winter for sure.
Looking forward to picking your brain one day.
B

Well, my time has officially arrived to join the Cruiser Madness. On Wednesday, my 1995 KZJ78 arrived from Japan, and I an thrilled with the product that got dropped off in front of my place.
Other than one rust area which will be very easy to remedy, the body or undercarriage shows no sign of corrosion, anywhere.
I was impressed with the pep it had, given the amount of reviews on these 3.0's saying they were very underpowered. I was however, driving it under very light load, but it pulled up the hills to over 100km/h without any problem at all. The photos are the arrival condition, but soon I'll be installing a 2" lift, 285/75/R16 Falken Wildpeak's (I was hoping for Baja Boss A/T, but they were not available anywhere) on Mickey Thompson Classic 3's, a 3" exhaust, EGR delete and EGT gauge, and if I can find one, a snorkel, which I'm having a really hard time finding due to the supply chain.
Since y'all have been at this a lot longer than me, and have a lot more knowledge, what should I be doing additonal/or is anything in that list not necessary? Intercooler is high on the list, but finding one and installing it is tricky for me.
Thanks for the help and knowledge, ladies and gents.View attachment 3019928View attachment 3019929View attachment 3019930View attachment 3019931
Nice PRADO BTV, and welcome to the madness! :cheers:

If there isn't any maintenance records, then I would check to see if there is a sticker on when the timing belt was last changed. If not, do this FIRST. I would replace the tensioner and water pump at the same time. Many don't, or even do them every 2nd belt, which is fine, but since you are baselining this machine, I would start with doing it all. Then do a complete fluids change from front to back(including coolant), and test/replace the glow plugs as necessary before winter. Load test battery(ies) before winter... add a block heater if you plan to use it in winter away from the coast.

My land cruiser came with the same hole in the rear rocker just like that, and I paid about $1000 for it to be patched with metal and repainted. Really glad you are happy with it, I love that feeling. I have had my latest land cruiser for over a year now and I still love to drive it and am happy to have it. May yours do the same for you! :bounce2::clap:

PS - don't you just LOVE scraping off all the annoying writing on the windshield when it arrives?? LOL :bang:

If there isn't any maintenance records, then I would check to see if there is a sticker on when the timing belt was last changed. If not, do this FIRST. I would replace the tensioner and water pump at the same time. Many don't, or even do them every 2nd belt, which is fine, but since you are baselining this machine, I would start with doing it all. Then do a complete fluids change from front to back(including coolant), and test/replace the glow plugs as necessary before winter. Load test battery(ies) before winter... add a block heater if you plan to use it in winter away from the coast.

My land cruiser came with the same hole in the rear rocker just like that, and I paid about $1000 for it to be patched with metal and repainted. Really glad you are happy with it, I love that feeling. I have had my latest land cruiser for over a year now and I still love to drive it and am happy to have it. May yours do the same for you! :bounce2::clap:

PS - don't you just LOVE scraping off all the annoying writing on the windshield when it arrives?? LOL

PS - don't you just LOVE scraping off all the annoying writing on the windshield when it arrives?? LOL :bang:
Thanks man, really appreciate it!
Yeah, belt was done 30,000 ago, and coolant and oil both look good. Will take a deeper dive on all the rest of the stuff when I take it in for inspection on Wednesday. I was scheduled to have it done last week but a huge fire on the highway between home and garage turned me around.
I'll be spending quite a bit of time off the beaten path with this thing, so I'll definitely be making sure that the battery is up to snuff. I'm also in the market for a light, offroad travel trailer which will serve as a mini base for fishing and splitboard trips. Although it felt great going up hills etc, it was under minimal load, so I'm hoping the extra umpf of the larger exhaust, egr delete and better intake will help it out. Fingers crossed, as I don't want the temp problem many talk about.
You might see me in your neck of the woods looking for freshies this winter.
Let the games begin!
B

My twin. Glad to see you take possession. I started with the goofy window bubbles and fender mirror :)

After that, baseline with maintenance and fluids and start modding for your liking. Look forward to see what you do with it. Maybe soon it will look like Alucab's 76 build :p

Last edited:
honestly intercooler was amongst the first and most beneficial modifications I did and I am not at all a very experienced mechanic. an EGT and water temp gauge are absolutely essential though. Yeah the 1KZ has the power to get around quick, but once you see what the EGTs can climb to very easily you moderate your right foot a good bit.

I'm sure I'll find a bunch along the way.
I have a small rust patch I need to address at some point, on top of install a long'ish list of mods that are here and waiting.
Found an OEM LandCruiser snorkel, got a EGR delete and EGT delete combo, 3 inch exhaust, 2" lift, all here and waiting to go in.
Exciting times!

I'm sure I'll find a bunch along the way.
I have a small rust patch I need to address at some point, on top of install a long'ish list of mods that are here and waiting.
Found an OEM LandCruiser snorkel, got a EGR delete and EGT delete combo, 3 inch exhaust, 2" lift, all here and waiting to go in.
Exciting times!
Where did you get your egr delete kit and snorkel?

Where did you get your egr delete kit and snorkel?
EGR delete I found through a company in Oregon that sells toyota vans converted into campers. They have a combo package with a egt setup that I opted for Vanlife Northwest - https://www.vanlifenorthwest.com/ not easy to get a response from, but all worked out.
Snorkel took a lot of digging into random forums, friend of friend of friend, way down the rabbit hole kind of internetting. Some guy had one on a vehicle he was converting to electric... picking it up from courier depot today, will let you know condition.

EGR delete I found through a company in Oregon that sells toyota vans converted into campers. They have a combo package with a egt setup that I opted for Vanlife Northwest - https://www.vanlifenorthwest.com/ not easy to get a response from, but all worked out.
Snorkel took a lot of digging into random forums, friend of friend of friend, way down the rabbit hole kind of internetting. Some guy had one on a vehicle he was converting to electric... picking it up from courier depot today, will let you know condition.
I think I'm going to order this kit since my KZJ78 is my new DD and I take the freeway at 110 KM/H most days. How was the install? Pretty straight forward?

Finally got a few of the mods done to the truck... lift, wheels and tires, egr delete, egt guage.
Will be putting a 3" exhaust from the turbo back, and new stereo and speakers in the next couple of weeks.
Following that, likely a new front bumper as I'm not a huge fan of how the stock one looks, and I want to get a winch in there.
Stoked with the new look!
B

300812036_402959315282806_9135098841384046800_n.jpg

301192858_3262977183936620_4298537467071324474_n.jpg

301179348_491865146111638_8108622810176050668_n.jpg

300841171_1427775534410771_8468701576051893286_n.jpg

281898611_757612775618493_710448020442605370_n (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom