KZJ78 Investigating fluid dripped onto pumpkin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

Can someone help confirm these part numbers for the front diff fluid replacement? I have a leaky front diff and I figured I would replace the plug and fluid as a start. Also any tips or words of wisdom are welcome.

Here are the things I'm buying for the job:
Reference I'm using Diagram:
1660241202247.png

Leaky photos:

1660242933428.png
1660243001205.png
1660243081291.png

I would first verify WHERE the gear oil is coming from. I have never had or heard of the drain or fill plugs leaking when they are tight. Typically the oil will leak from the pinion seal (where the drive shaft goes into the pumpkin). This can and usually drips down from the front to the bottom of the pumpkin as you are noticing in your pics.

Otherwise, the oil will leak from the wheel shaft seals and you will notice this by gear oil spraying outwards from the centre on the inside side of the wheel(s)

I would first verify WHERE the gear oil is coming from. I have never had or heard of the drain or fill plugs leaking when they are tight. Typically the oil will leak from the pinion seal (where the drive shaft goes into the pumpkin). This can and usually drips down from the front to the bottom of the pumpkin as you are noticing in your pics.

Otherwise, the oil will leak from the wheel shaft seals and you will notice this by gear oil spraying outwards from the centre on the inside side of the wheel(s)
Hmmm I should take another look - thats a good point. The fluid is very thin and black...but could just be pooling under that spot.

If it is really black (also unusual for a diff, transfer or tranny) I would also check to see if it is an engine oil leak from above and is just dripping down onto the axle/diff. Easiest way to verify if it is gear oil or engine oil is by smell. If it does not smell like rotten cabbage stuffed inside of your grandma's old unwashed socks, then it is likely engine oil.

Once you confirm the source, then we can assist in getting you the right seals. Alternatively, and perhaps more conveniently, you can also go to partsouq.com and enter your exact PRADO model (first letter/number combo listed on the identification plate on the firewall) and it will bring up all the diagrams for your exact model so you know you are getting the right parts.

If it is really black (also unusual for a diff, transfer or tranny) I would also check to see if it is an engine oil leak from above and is just dripping down onto the axle/diff. Easiest way to verify if it is gear oil or engine oil is by smell. If it does not smell like rotten cabbage stuffed inside of your grandma's old unwashed socks, then it is likely engine oil.

Once you confirm the source, then we can assist in getting you the right seals. Alternatively, and perhaps more conveniently, you can also go to partsouq.com and enter your exact PRADO model (first letter/number combo listed on the identification plate on the firewall) and it will bring up all the diagrams for your exact model so you know you are getting the right parts.
So thanks for the tip @Rigster - After further investigation and smelling I don't think its a leaky diff at all.

The oil is very black and has little to no smell and I can see some areas above are also shiny with a look like they have been "wet".

Potential sources of fluid that I could see:
1660329294037.png

1660328884870.png

1660329414623.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom