knuckle rebuild in progress... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jtwopark

live, eat, sleep Land Cruiser!!!
Threads
Hello, I am in the process of rebuilding my knuckles and came across something that kind of got me thinking>>> The JT kit that i purchased has a bunch of shim for the trunnion bearings on top side of the knuckle...THE QUESTION IS: DO I REUSE THE ORIGINALS OR WHICH SHIMS DO I USE IF USING THE ONES FROM THE KIT? I have gone through many threads but they all state that it is best to reuse the old shims....if so why would JT have gone through the trouble of giving me something that I didn't need?

please help.!!

Use the new spacers that have the same thickness as the originals.

I used my old shims, and it worked fine. I didn't use a push/pull gauge to verify but didn't think I really needed to either.

I used new of the same thickness. One side didn't have one so I added one that matched the other side. Debated whether to add it or not since I didn't know if the knuckles had been serviced before.

use the new ones if you have the SST from Mr. Toyota.
When pulling the axle apart you should keep the shim in the same order.
Otherwise you risk messing up preload (someone correct me if im wrong)and premature failure on the trunion bearings...

There is a thread here on MUD where it shows & explains the usage of this SST..

Like JONESY says "" Use the old shim"" My 19 year old trunion bearings were fine I replaced all bearings and seals, gaskets birfs fluids and molly G. Used old shim. The problems in these knuckles is from knuckle heads putting the 54 mm nuts on with a chisel, nothing else really matters after that.

thanks, everyone for the information....will search the sst for this...

I still haven't done my knuckle rebuild but have watched that video. Good stuff and I would most likely be lost without it when I do finally do the deed. Can't remember now if on that same video they show putting on the rotors Jonesys/Duiser sells, but I also plan on picking those up when I do the job too.

Definitely do the rotors while you are in there. Saves a bunch of time later!! :cheers:

I still haven't done my knuckle rebuild but have watched that video. Good stuff and I would most likely be lost without it when I do finally do the deed. Can't remember now if on that same video they show putting on the rotors Jonesys/Duiser sells, but I also plan on picking those up when I do the job too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom