JW Speaker low beam LED corrosion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So they other day I happened to notice this while cleaning my headlights. I have the heated JW Speaker units, and this is only present on one of the low beam assemblies. It looks like the polycarbonate is breaking down (still smooth and undamaged on the outside, and no sign of moisture inside the unit) and the contact point for the defrost grid is starting to corrode. Both the light and the defrost still work well, so I'm curious if this has happened with anyone else. Been running them for about 2.5 years now.

20221126_115118.jpg

So they other day I happened to notice this while cleaning my headlights. I have the heated JW Speaker units, and this is only present on one of the low beam assemblies. It looks like the polycarbonate is breaking down (still smooth and undamaged on the outside, and no sign of moisture inside the unit) and the contact point for the defrost grid is starting to corrode. Both the light and the defrost still work well, so I'm curious if this has happened with anyone else. Been running them for about 2.5 years now.

View attachment 3180976
That looks like spot overheating on the PC. Probably a defect in the manufacturing process for that particular lens. PC(lexan) has a high moisture content and if you heat it up improperly it will bubble like you see there. So it looks to me like you have two hot spots in the light that overheated the PC and released some moisture which in turn caused the damage you see. I'd reach out to JW and see about having it replaced.

i had that happen to mine. thankfully i noticed it about two months before warranty was up so i got a new one for free. the new one has a different style grid so i wonder if they had a design problem they’ve tried to correct. you might loose your heater function if fortunately.

original

4672435E-170E-4AD6-A833-8BB8851A190F.jpeg

new
00E723B8-5E5B-477B-8403-CC0508407406.jpeg

we’ll crap. i just noticed that the replacement i have is a low beam! so now i have three low beams and one high beam. 💩

here is my original with the burn
AAA31888-44B2-4715-B003-1B219DF01EF1.jpeg

thanks spook for making me go look at that! now i gotta sort that all out!

Last edited:
just finished dealing with Premium Brand Automotive Lighting - High Performance Lighting - https://www.highperformancelighting.ca/ about getting the wrong headlight. it was 7 months ago i got it but it’s been sitting on my shelf because of my hot start issues i fought with over the summer. he laughed when i told him i just noticed if but was really good about saying it was their fault for sending the wrong one we agreed on a discount price for me to buy a new one ( i felt it was not unfair to ask for a free new one after this one has been in my truck for a while and they gave me a second light for the same discount (pretty much cost) so i have a second set of low beams i can keep as back up or sell as a pair. really decent of them to do that for me as i was very slow on realizing it was the wrong part. i would recommend buying. from these guys any day. colin has been so good and prompt at helping me out

just finished dealing with Premium Brand Automotive Lighting - High Performance Lighting - https://www.highperformancelighting.ca/ about getting the wrong headlight. it was 7 months ago i got it but it’s been sitting on my shelf because of my hot start issues i fought with over the summer. he laughed when i told him i just noticed if but was really good about saying it was their fault for sending the wrong one we agreed on a discount price for me to buy a new one ( i felt it was not unfair to ask for a free new one after this one has been in my truck for a while and they gave me a second light for the same discount (pretty much cost) so i have a second set of low beams i can keep as back up or sell as a pair. really decent of them to do that for me as i was very slow on realizing it was the wrong part. i would recommend buying. from these guys any day. colin has been so good and prompt at helping me out
Funny enough these guys are who I got my full set from. I figured though since this looked like a manufacturing or design flaw I'd contact JW directly. Sent them pics of the spot and a copy of my original receipt Friday night so hopefully by tomorrow I hear back.

that’s a good plan especially if you’re more than two years out (the heated ones have a shorter warranty unfortunately). if in warranty high performance was great. out of warranty i bet what you’ve done will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom