Just bought a military trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just scored this for $350.00 It has some rust and will need some repair, but I think it's well worth the money. It's 8' x 5.5' roughly. I think the size will be usable, but need to do some research to figure out what model it is. My guess is that it is an M101.

s-l1600.jpg

Nice Find

You're right, it's a M101 with the old bud wheels. Figure a new axle w/brakes and hubs to match you're vehicle. They were built to pull behind a M37 3/4 ton vehicle. Very heavy built, good buy!

Here's one of mine behind a M37...

IMG_3041.JPG

Sweet find! I've been looking for one locally but haven't seen anything lately. $350 is a great deal, even with a bit of paint/body work and tires.

Thanks for the info! Further research I did led me to believe it's an m101a1 based on the lugs.

I figure even if I have it blasted and replace the flooring it would be a score at that price, plus for once there was something within 1.5 hours of my house.

You're right, it's a M101 with the old bud wheels. Figure a new axle w/brakes and hubs to match you're vehicle. They were built to pull behind a M37 3/4 ton vehicle. Very heavy built, good buy!

Here's one of mine behind a M37...

View attachment 1489240
Thanks for the info. What axle would you recommend? I found a 3500 lbs 6 x 5.5 pattern for $120.00 I ask because I already started looking at options :) Sweet M37 and that looks like a workhorse of a set up you have.

Had one for years super heavey duty. I hauled a lot of rock/dirt. You can make it dump!
Didn't know you could make it dump, pretty sweet.

Sweet find! I've been looking for one locally but haven't seen anything lately. $350 is a great deal, even with a bit of paint/body work and tires.
I never find anything locally...this is a first for me haha.

I found a 3500 lbs 6 x 5.5 pattern for $120.00

That's fine for your trailer, but get electric brakes on it. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but the trailer wasn't made for dumping, just made to stack on a ship better. If used to dump often enough the brackets will crack from the load. There is always a discussion about this on Steel Soldiers.

That's fine for your trailer, but get electric brakes on it. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but the trailer wasn't made for dumping, just made to stack on a ship better. If used to dump often enough the brackets will crack from the load. There is always a discussion about this on Steel Soldiers.

Good to know. I don't foresee using mine for dumping personally, but thanks for the information.

trailer.jpg

Trailer is home. A friend of mine went and got it for me since I got tied up with work.

He said it pulled great.

Last edited:
I just had a buddy flip my m116a2 with a backhoe so I could put the new brake axle on. If you order the same diameter axle you can reuse the spring perches and other hardware, makes it much easier to bolt up. The only thing that sucks is disconnecting all those military bolts...they're just flat out a bastard, and I don't have air.
m116a2 1.jpg

I just had a buddy flip my m116a2 with a backhoe so I could put the new brake axle on. If you order the same diameter axle you can reuse the spring perches and other hardware, makes it much easier to bolt up. The only thing that sucks is disconnecting all those military bolts...they're just flat out a bastard, and I don't have air.View attachment 1494325
Good idea! Thanks for the tips.

For further reading, basically the FSM for the M101 series:
TM9-2330-202-14&P.pdf

Thanks, I'm sure this will come in handy.

I just had a buddy flip my m116a2 with a backhoe so I could put the new brake axle on. If you order the same diameter axle you can reuse the spring perches and other hardware, makes it much easier to bolt up. The only thing that sucks is disconnecting all those military bolts...they're just flat out a bastard, and I don't have air.View attachment 1494325

Do you have a recommended vendor/brand for the axle you are using here?

I would do the EZ lube, Timken, Self Adjusting brakes....and that axle says 2-3/8 dia....I would check your existing axle and make it the same diameter for direct bolt up purposes.

I got mine (both actually) from Redneck

I would do the EZ lube, Timken, Self Adjusting brakes....and that axle says 2-3/8 dia....I would check your existing axle and make it the same diameter for direct bolt up purposes.

I got mine (both actually) from Redneck
I have to check diameters and lengths still. Who is redneck? Mud member? Vendor?

Pat,

Does that axle have the parking brake feature, would hate to lose that?

It does not.

Probably, in hind sight, that would be a great option...especially on the lighter trailer. I have retractable nose gear, without a wheel. But I always finding myself chocking the wheels anyway, so although it seems like a very handy option, Id probly still chock on the side of caution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom