Just blew head gasket. Any recommended shops in mid-south (Memphis, TN)?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also what am I in store for? A top end rebuild?

Thanks all
**update**

Actually just blew a coolant hose near the firewall… valve cover was soaked so thought I blew the head

IMG_2575.jpeg

**update**

Actually just blew a coolant hose near the firewall… valve cover was soaked so thought I blew the head

View attachment 3474023

You didn't blow a hose. The heater control valve failed. You can see the "brown" discolored material a sign of emanate failure. All those hoses do look original and need to be replaced.

I dont think it is the hose but the plastic cracked from the valve and broke off (I think you can see it in the hose).

I live in Memphis and can second that Mosley Motors as a good shop. They did my headgasket and replaced the rear main seal on my 80.

Not a difficult job, but it does take quite some time to get all of those coolant hoses replaced.

And the hidden hose from the back of the throttle body that runs down near the PHH.
I did away with the phh with the loop around. That hose your talking about isn't all that bad but if your gonna replace them might as well do as many as you can I haven't done that one .lol

@80Lex :

A quick fix would be to just replace the heat control valve (87240-60170) and one hose clamp if you can dig the broken pipe nipple out of the curved hose without damaging the hose.

Those of us with OCD would say might as well replace every water hose under the hood but that can be done in the future along with other planned maintenance (valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, wrapping the engine harness, replacing spark plugs, new spark plug wires if needed, cleaning the throttle body, replacing the PHH and bypass hoses, new Thermostat and OEM radiator cap, flushing the cooling system, -----).

This is what an old heat control valve looks like just before the side pipe snaps completely off as what happened to the OP:

Heat Control Valve side pipe fracture.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom