June ROTM trip report: Verde Valley Traverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pitch

Driving from the 2nd row
SILVER Star
Threads
Author: Pitch

Date: 6/4-6/5/2016

Route Description: I-17/Hwy 169 south of Camp Verde, AZ to Apache Maid Mtn in the Coconino, NF. Route was FR 136 (Prescott NF) south via Copper Canyon to Hwy 260 in Camp Verde. East on Hwy 260 to a L on FR 618. FR 618 heads generally North, then r on FR 214, L on FR 229, and L FR 620 to Apache Maid Mtn. Our camp was on the Eastern flank of Apache Maid Mtn. There was a short segment of pavement, ~5 miles at the bottom of the Verde Valley, then ~66 miles on dirt.

Trip Leader: Pitch/Eric

Campsite Administrator: Saddletramp

Attendees: 13 vehicles including
1 FJ Cruiser
1 FJ40
1 Mercedes Gelandewagen
1 3rd gen 4Runner
2 FJ80's
7 FZJ/LX450's

2 total dogs
17 total people

Trail Rating: the trail is stocker-friendly for 31" tires and 4x4, low range-equipped vehicles

Trip description. Start time was posted at 830, we finally pulled out by 9am. We began with high chaparral at ~4600' just south of the Verde Valley (VV). We passed by the Bates Windmill, and descended into the VV via Copper Canyon. The Copper Canyon Route descended steeply on a shelf road (passenger side drop-offs) into a riparian area, but the amount of running water had diminished sharply from our pre-run in late April. Huge Sycamore trees, a solitary deer, and numerous cattle graced our descent just out of sight and sound into the VV, adjacent to I-17.

We passed by the Copper Canyon OHV trailhead, and were immediately aware of the upper 90's temps of the Verde Valley. A short pit stop at the White Bridge Day Use area tempted us to hop on the river and stay cool. Instead, we met up with Funner, and continued to our next dusty target, FR 618. We climbed up off of the valley floor, passing the impressive West Clear Creek Canyon, and began the northerly climb towards cooler temps on FR 214. This road was generally wide and not requiring any 4wd. Cedar Flats offered some distant views of the San Francisco Peaks, the Verde Valley, and lots of smoke from several managed fires burning on the Mogollon Rim. At Twin Buttes Tank we reconvened, popped some hoods and vented gas tanks after the altitude change and high temps pushed some vehicles.

Then, we got into some more 4-low territory as we climbed higher and over several basalt-ridden areas, complete with small ledges and boulders. After lunch under some expansive juniper trees, we pressed on. the temptation was strong to drive quickly, but there were enough rocks in the trail to keep you on your toes. We circled around the Wet Beaver Canyon and Wilderness, and made our way towards the base of Apache Maid Mtn. Just before getting back onto well-graded roads, word came through the CB that the G-Wagen was having clutch issues. There was talk of towing him (insert non-Land Cruiser jokes here), but he managed to get out under his own power.

On to camp, along FR 620A. We found the campsite mayor, Saddletramp comfortably eating a sandwich of epic proportions comfortably in the shade at 7000ft. Our other campground host, Otter, was off on a scenic drive. Camp accommodations were much more than "adequate." Several of us took the short/easy/graded ride to the top of Apache Maid Mtn. We were happy to find the gate open, and the tower manned by a friendly lookout host. We all got Smokey the Bear paraphernalia, and we saw the birds-eye view of the local landscape, the present fires, and the barely-visible Discovery Channel Telescope on the horizon. Air quality was not terribly good due to the fires.

Campfire cuisine, stories around the fire, romantic walks in the meadow ;) and exploration of local water holes and the Apache Maid Homestead filled out the evening. Temps cooled off perfectly at night for the long pants/sleeves to come out, even a sweatshirt or two.

Early in the am, camp was alive and kicking. Everyone was packed up and out of camp by 9am. We rallied around the Apache Maid Homestead, explored the ranch houses, old orchards, water tanks, etc, and marveled at the view from their front porch.

A great day/night with the gang from CSC. New members, old members, and guests made for a memorable day on the trail.

In Attendance: Pitch, Saddletramp, ftbshop, Otter, Verruckt1, oilbrnr, chrismanjs, letsride, Old School G, Cruddz, Mattman, murf, Funner

IMG_20160604_092443699.jpg

IMG_20160604_114425347.jpg

IMG_20160604_114311569.jpg

IMG_20160604_193743411_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Eric for hosting this month's run. Great trip and camping with a bunch of like minded knuckleheads. A few pics and an obvious poser shot.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Great writeup Pitch. Thanks for the pictures.

Our trail host and hostess. Thx guys for a memorable trip!
0604160840.jpg

Camping spot was cool and beautiful

0605160720a.jpg

Evening stroll to find the rumored homestead

0604161932a.jpg

Found it
0604161957.jpg

What appeared to be the ranch hands cabin
0605160925.jpg

This guy acted like we weren't there. I think he was covertly Looking for Alvis...?

0604161352a.jpg

Loren and ricochet the search and rescue golden surveying the area

0605160719.jpg

The flowers were blooming and caught a poser shot with apache maid mountain in the background which we camped at the base of. Great trip, trail, people, and laughs.
0604160719b.jpg

Stepmurr, I think we found your protege for fire fairye. Phillipe, CJ, and Alvis gathered a fine stockpile of firewood and Dons son stepped up put on a pair of heavy gloves, fed, tendered, and nutured the fire for the group ( yes it was cold enough for a fire!) Until everyone finally retired to bed. Hopefully someone got a pic of him in action?

Great ROTM turnout, and sorry I didn't get to hang with everyone on Saturday afternoon. I headed out in the afternoon, and left my drab green folding chair under the shade. If anyone grabbed it, I'll find a way to get it back, and hope it brought some use to someone!

Thanks to Eric for ROTM planning and coordination,

Eric thanks for a great, great run! It was very well set up and executed. I really appreciated the tour guide type narration as we went passed by the scenic areas throughout the trip. I'll get some pictures posted up later this afternoon.

Sorry I missed it. I did get matching rims on my trailer this weekend so I am now mall crawler certified. Also helped a friend with his DIY trailer. Good karma all around. I'm headed up to WA on Wednesday the 6/22 and will hopefully find some cooler temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom