June Hurricane Creek Run - June 2-4, 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To continue :deadhorse:. I wonder if they, the organizers, obtained or even realized that they needed a USFS special use permit because there was a fee involved with this event Region 5 - Passes & Permits. In the FB video linked above they claimed ignorance about the HC portion not being legal so I suspect they didn't do their due diligence about all the permits necessary and legal roads.

To continue :deadhorse:. I wonder if they, the organizers, obtained or even realized that they needed a USFS special use permit because there was a fee involved with this event Region 5 - Passes & Permits. In the FB video linked above they claimed ignorance about the HC portion not being legal so I suspect they didn't do their due diligence about all the permits necessary and legal roads.

I doubt they did. We didn't know about that requirement either until last year.

(yes, the appropriate ONSC events in Uwharrie, referring to CRR and LR, are registered and permitted)

Well after reading all of this I am at a loss of words. Not sure how many of you "old timers" like myself were around HC 20+ years ago, but HC has already been modified due to off road activity. Not sure when it exactly happened. Last time I ran HC prior to joining ONSC was around 1996-97. Back then and the trail actually had a fair ammount of rocks and was completely different than it is now. Back then it was an actual trail that required some skill and 4 Lo. At the time, I remember hearing about people complaining and at some point the trail was leveled to what it is today. Not sure if that was a direct result of people complaining or just a coincidence. Either way, I fear stupid actions like this will cause another Tellico situation. Which sucks because Tellico was the best NC had to offer by far.

What pisses me off the most is that these fools doing this race crap where in Toyotas. I dont know why, but that really irritates me.

It's all due to the prevalence of the internet. Nothing is secret anymore.

And idiots will ruin everything.

See, that's a great point. When we started doing HC trips, the location was kept a secret from the internet. Over time as we've brought 50-60 people up through there, many people have done their own trips or shared that info via posting here on the forum or referencing a location for others to find. I mean jesus, someone had it added to Google Maps. I tried to have it removed but it's still there.

We can do our parts by not talking about specific locations, not sharing coordinates or GPX maps (on the public internet) and whatnot but at the end of the day it connects to a very well known gravel road system, so some idiot will eventually find it and ruin it despite what we do.

IMHO all we can do is enjoy and responsibly use the public outdoor areas we have access to. Too many idiots in this country to control/prohibit them all.

Last edited:
I've never believed in "secret" trails before but after living in NC for almost 10 years I do understand it more that sometimes trails may want to be kept a secret. I was always so surprised at the amount of trash and illegal trails cut into the trails I did in NC. I travel trails here in WA and before in CA that get 100X more traffic than hurricane creek or Uwharrie and I rarely if ever (although certain parts of the desert I did) found trash on the trail. Since NC I always have trash bags in my rigs but have never used them here yet. Sadly others ruin it for everyone and it doesn't matter how hard its is pounded on people to tread lightly there are some that just never listen. Just about everyone I ever wheeled with in NC were/are stand up guys that respect the trail system, but there seems to be a huge amount roaming around that just don't seem to see the big picture.

I hope that HC doesn't get shut down as the places to legally wheel in NC are racing fast to 0

ceby, ping me if you want a replacement. I always bust my passenger side so have driver side available. Bought them in pairs from slovakia or sarajevo or someplace.
Will do, thanks

We need to get stickers made that we can use on the trail:

"I'm an a****** that doesn't tread lightly" sounds like a winner.

That, or someone could put together a registry of offenders... anonymously list license plate, vehicle type, and where and what they did..... over time, those people could be denied access to off-roading events?...

Trails are posted in many places, some like www.trailsoffroad.com are direct to people looking for trails to do. Jeepers have sites too sharing all trail information. So like any new technology, the internet can be use for good and for bad.

Hard to blame the land owners, imagine a couple of kids racing their hondas up and down your street, people get fed up and we all get thrown in the same basket of "land destroyers".

I'm not advocating that they're all kept secret, but we don't have to help distribute that info to all the low lifes on the internet either.

It'll always be an uphill battle.

Sounds like it's time fo some of us to make friends with very very wealthy land owners and just have the bestest of them on private property.

A man can dream right?

On an edited note last year when the wife and I were on Ocracoke Island, I was in the Tacoma
and I ended up chatting with a fellow LEO who happened to be a former Trooper and now is a Park Ranger. As we spoke more and more we got in the topic of Federal Judges and he told me the judge who presides over the Hatteras Seashore area has absolutely no remorse for butholes in 4wds on the beach.

He said if someone is cought driving like an idiot or on the dunes and there is either a minor in the car or alcohol involved they get the maximum 8-days in jail that the judge can throw at them.

First offense they get a very very hefty fine.

That's serious man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom