June Club Meeting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
June Club Meeting

Tonight! 6/27, 6:00 pm.

This month’s meeting will include a presentation on adding electrical accessories to your vehicle, including dual battery systems, safely sizing wire and over-current protection, AC inverters and solar power. This will be an informative and information packed meeting, so don’t miss it!

A Meet & Greet will follow the meeting, location TBD at the meeting.

Pedersen Toyota
4455 S College Ave
Fort Collins, CO 80525

We hope to see you all there!

On the electrical topic, am I looking at my fridge specs correctly here?

40 watts @ 12 volts = < 4 amps?

And 0.7 Ah/h = 0.7 amps, eh?

For a 25' run, they are recommending 10 gauge conductor.

2018-06-28_11-32-40.jpg

On the electrical topic, am I looking at my fridge specs correctly here?

40 watts @ 12 volts = < 4 amps?

And 0.7 Ah/h = 0.7 amps, eh?

For a 25' run, they are recommending 10 gauge conductor.

View attachment 1732784

I was thinking that maybe these specs don't account for the load that occurs when the compressor starts up?

Hello PabloCruise, long time no see. On your topic, the company info states it draws .7A at 12 volts. If you use Ohms Law, volts X amps = watts and divide the stated 40 watts "average" draw, 40 watts divided by 12 volts equals 3.333333333333...…. amps, not .7 at 12 volts.
Amps may be an average, with .7A at 12V listed I think you are on the right track that that is not the whole story. They don't usually use much, but plan on offering the unit at least a 10 amp circuit to make up for cable length and peak current draw. Consider maybe even more current and an extra outlet available at that location for other accessories like chargers, lighting, electric blankets, and also a battery isolator and separate battery for the circuit, with the ability to use it to jumpstart the vehicle if the main battery gets drained. Could be used for a winch, accessory lighting, on board air, etc. You can also buy the unit and measure it to get the actual current and voltage at startup, under load, and draw without the compressor running to get actual numbers for your wiring. HTH.

Eric C

Back in Fort Collins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom