Jumbled Lift Kit Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Guys,

I am currently trying to find some information about my lift and whether or not I need to replace any components.

My Questions:
1. Are the springs still good?

2. Should I replace any bushings?

3. What type of shock absorbers do I have? I cannot find out any information on either one.

4. What is the reason for the dual rear shock absorber mounts?

5. If the springs are still good, how can I tell what replacement shock absorbers I need? Do you have any recommendations? I looked into bilstein 5100 shock absorbers but I do not know what size I would need. The extended and retracted measurements do not match up with any standard lengths on their list.

6. How can I tell what size lift I have?

7. Am I asking too many Questions?

What I know:

A. The front and rear shock absorbers are shot.
B. I have a 4” front shackle.
C. I have 2.5” rear shackles. Here is a picture of the front and rear shock absorbers. The front absorber is on top.

IMG_4085.JPG

Figure 1. Front (top) and Rear (bottom) Shock Absorber

Front absorber specs:
Brand: Black Diamond
Numbers: 787033 and C2726
Collapsed Length: 14”Extended Length: 22.25”
Travel: 8.25”

Rear absorber specs:
Brand: Rough Country
Part: Nitrocharger. No numbers.
Collapsed Length: 16”
Extended Length: 23.25”
Travel: 7.25”

IMG_4091.JPG

Figure 2: Front Shackle Picture

IMG_4098.JPG

Figure 3: Rear Shackle.

IMG_4101.JPG

Figure 4: Left Rear Installed Shock Absorber

IMG_4102.JPG

Figure 5: Right Rear Spring

If I need any more pictures or information, Please let me know!

Thanks for your help!

-Krondor.

(1) I don't know what brand of springs you have, but they appear to still have very good arch, might need new bushings.
(2) I believe your shocks are all the poo poo shocks made by Gabriel in Canada, used by many aftermarket suspension companies. Don't even question the Bilsteins, just grab them as fast as you can. Jack up your rig until the tires are off the ground, measure from top pin to bottom pin, then buy a shock that has an extended length slightly longer than your measurement- - -that way at full suspension droop you should not stretch/damage the shock.
(3) PO may have added longer spring shackles to the front because the front springs drooped/fatigued??? Normally guys add longer spring shackles to the rear since the rigs normally sit a bit tail low- - -don't know what's going on with your suspension???

The best way to tell if your springs are still good is to look at the rig while it is setting on them with all of the normal weight on the spring. Ie motor trans hard top etc... If it sets where you want it to then you are probably good to go. The rear shackles are stock. The front are extended aftermarket. The reason you have two mounts in the rear for your shock is because you have a later style lower spring plate and an earlier style axle. the shock can go to either one without issue. You just have to decide which one and buy your shocks accordingly. If you call any big company who sells shocks i.e.. Summit, four wheel parts etc... , they should be able to match up what you have. Most vendors will be able to help. The only thing you can tell by looking at a spring is if it is broken. The spring might have some numbers/letters on it and those can usually be traced however, they are usually painted on and don't last all that long. If your bushings are still round and intact you can reuse them. If they deformed, brittle or cracked, replace them.

^^^ Yes, many spring manufacturers painted white numbers/letters onto the top of the top leaf, see if any of that marking is remaining???

The "dual" shock mounts are a combination of old and newer. The shock mount on the axle is the early model, to around '77 I think. Then they went to the shock mount on the spring plate. So you have a combination of the two, the spring plate being the better location and longer shock absorber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom